Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

US 2.5RS Turbo Coupe - Anyone driven one?

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2008, 11:14 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default US 2.5RS Turbo Coupe - Anyone driven one?

The 2.5RS Turbo Classic - you get in the US.

1. Has anyone driven one - is it ´´softer´´ than a JDM WRX of the same year? (Is it a wet behind the ears disapointment in stock form ..... or with the right mods just as raw as a JDM model)

2. What BHP-PS does it push out?
3. If I shipped one to the UK - And took it down Scoobyclinic Api or the like to be worked on are there any major differences in the US spec that might pose a problem?

(Basicaly I want a left hooker on british plates)
Old 15 February 2008, 12:09 AM
mr.sheen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry mate i think the 2.5rs is normally aspirated only. but a lot of them may have had a turbo conversion done.
i turbo charged a 1.6 impreza and looked to the americans to see how they done it.
the 2.5rs has only got 165bhp and 166lb/f of torque so a bit disapointing really
Old 15 February 2008, 03:32 AM
SUBY2.5
Scooby Regular

Yes what mr.sheen said is correct. I have a MY98 2.5RS and it is a shame we never got a turbo model until the bugeye model. Most people just buy wrecked turbo cars or throw jdm drivetrains to swap into the classics. This is why we envy you guys over in the U.K. you had turbo classics available and are able to imports jap cars. The only way for us to import cars are by chopping them up and taking off the parts or wait 25 years from the year the car was made to import them without any implications. This is the reason I bought my 04 sti I just didn't want to fuss with with a swap. Check out North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club or RS25.com - The Subaru Impreza RS Owners Club there are plenty of swap info on the rs if you are curious. Our rs looked the part but certainly didn't perform like it. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.
Old 15 February 2008, 10:59 AM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SUBY2.5
Yes what mr.sheen said is correct. I have a MY98 2.5RS and it is a shame we never got a turbo model until the bugeye model. Most people just buy wrecked turbo cars or throw jdm drivetrains to swap into the classics. This is why we envy you guys over in the U.K. you had turbo classics available and are able to imports jap cars. The only way for us to import cars are by chopping them up and taking off the parts or wait 25 years from the year the car was made to import them without any implications. This is the reason I bought my 04 sti I just didn't want to fuss with with a swap. Check out North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club or RS25.com - The Subaru Impreza RS Owners Club there are plenty of swap info on the rs if you are curious. Our rs looked the part but certainly didn't perform like it. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.
Thanks that has really helped.
I just looked at the pics and saw that many had turbo bonets on - and assumed they were turboed.....dangerous to assume
I have asked the same thing on the north american site.
So unless I found one that had been converted using JDM parts - then I would be disappointed. The importing from the US was an option I wanted to investigate - I have a feeling now that this option is closed to me unless I find a real good conversion.
Thanks again
Steve
Old 15 February 2008, 02:44 PM
SUBY2.5
Scooby Regular

No problem steve. These guys are experts with swaps and very reputable if ever you decide to go the swap route.
ECS Performance