WRX with Mods VS STI

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2008, 11:53 AM
Stratts
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX with Mods VS STI

Hi guys.

When i was buying my classic Subaru i was debating between a WRX or STI. I wanted an STI obviously!!! But decided to buy a WRX due to insurance and running costs.

I have an old 1995 classic in very nice condition with HKS adjustable suspension, Version 6 High Rise Spoiler, Jun front spoiler and nice 17´inch alloys.(49000 Miles).

I must say this is my first Subaru after having a Supra and GTO TT and i must say i am enjoying the car and enjoy driving it. The only thing is that i feel like sometimes it is holding back a bit when i open up the turbo. It is almost as if it needs a fresh mint?? It sometimes fluttes around 4000 revs as if it is missing slightly, however, this seems to be much better since changing plugs and fitting my Green Filter, which seems to allow the car to breath better than the original and improving the power delivery slightly.

I have ordered a set of stainless steel 4 into 1 un-equal headers and am buying either a performance Ninja Downpipe of Downpipe De-cat. I hope this will give the car the fresh mint it needs and make it feel less ŕestricted.

With these modifications will it be similar performance to a standard STI. I test drove an STI and WRX before buying and although i noticed a difference, it was not a massive difference. Approx 20bhp i believe??

When i get my Headers and Downpipe fitted will i be best getting a re-map or maybe superchip and re-map to get best results from the mods. If this is the case where is the best place to take the car to be re-mapped or chipped???

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Stratts
Old 10 February 2008, 08:30 PM
Stratts
Scooby Regular

Knock, Knock anybody there!!??
Old 10 February 2008, 10:13 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

My 95WRX (260ps) has the legs on my mates 96STI (280ps) both std apart from 3" s/steel exhausts. Dont really understand why?
Old 10 February 2008, 10:34 PM
Stratts
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 172sport
My 95WRX (260ps) has the legs on my mates 96STI (280ps) both std apart from 3" s/steel exhausts. Dont really understand why?

That is suprising?? But you cant complain but i bet your mate is ˇgutted??
So their is only 20bhp between them and has your WRX got any other Mods?
Old 10 February 2008, 10:38 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Only late model gold brembo's, KYB adjustable struts (std springs) and 17" speedlines. Both are running std boost too.
Going up through the gears mine pulls a few car lengths on him?
Yeah he is a bit gutted, cant wait to see how it compares to another mates P1 (just got to finish building the engine though.......)
Old 10 February 2008, 10:54 PM
Stratts
Scooby Regular

Only late model gold brembo's, KYB adjustable struts (std springs) and 17" speedlines. Both are running std boost too.
Going up through the gears mine pulls a few car lengths on him?
Yeah he is a bit gutted, cant wait to see how it compares to another mates P1 (just got to finish building the engine though.......)
I have been told that the P1´s are very quick. But you never know?!!!

You must be lucky and have a very good running WRX!!

I had a WRX before this one from the same dealer but due to problems had to take it back and swapped it for this one. That WRX was certainly faster than the one i have now. Both same 260bhp spec but the first one was very quick?? Maybe tuned or mapped in Japan before importing??

You will have to post the results when you go head with your mates P1!!

Out of interest what else have you come up against in your WRX??
Old 10 February 2008, 11:15 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Deffo std, had the ecu apart to fit a chip, never had any success with that though as it would not stop miss firing so put it back to std.

In a straight line its quicker than a 05 PPP WRX STI guessing thats mainly due to the late models excesive weight more than anything else.

Trending Topics

Old 11 February 2008, 07:36 AM
Stratts
Scooby Regular

Deffo std, had the ecu apart to fit a chip, never had any success with that though as it would not stop miss firing so put it back to std.

In a straight line its quicker than a 05 PPP WRX STI guessing thats mainly due to the late models excesive weight more than anything else.
What Chip did you try and fit?? Was it a Superchip or another piggy back chip.

So chips do not work then?

Unbelievable!! Quicker than an 05 STI. I have been told that the classics are quicker and more aggressive than new shapes. The WRX are only 225 bhp in standard form so i would expect the classic wrx to be quicker but wasnt sure about STI??
Old 11 February 2008, 07:50 PM
Stratts
Scooby Regular

Anybody else comment on this??
Old 11 February 2008, 09:36 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Chips do work but, didnt want to got down the change everything route just to get a cheap £200 chip to work.
Old 12 February 2008, 07:14 PM
Stratts
Scooby Regular

Chips do work but, didnt want to got down the change everything route just to get a cheap £200 chip to work.
Just reading a post about guy putting a cold air intake on New Age and everybody advised him to get remap or risk popping his engine??

Am i safe fitting stainless steel performance headers and performance downpipe to my 1995 WRX classic or will i run the risk of damage without a remap??
Old 13 February 2008, 08:07 AM
punto_gt
Scooby Regular

i fitted a blitz nur sec r and ninja down ipe to my 1995 wrx and i have had no problems that was about 6 months ago. a scooby ecu is the "remap" that your after mate. ups the boost to 1.1 bar and u can realy feel the difference. a bloke on here does them. his website is PolarPerformance
Old 13 February 2008, 09:34 PM
Stratts
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by punto_gt
i fitted a blitz nur sec r and ninja down ipe to my 1995 wrx and i have had no problems that was about 6 months ago. a scooby ecu is the "remap" that your after mate. ups the boost to 1.1 bar and u can realy feel the difference. a bloke on here does them. his website is PolarPerformance
Cheers mate. Which chip should i get the one you plug in yourself or take the car to be individually remapped??

I am considering upgrading the turbo for a better one. Not a massive turbo but just better stronger turbo with more capability. I only want to achieve approx 330bhp Max in order to not risk blowing up my motor.

I dont suppose you know which is the best turbo to buy and how much is it??

Cheers mate