uk turbo died on me

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2008, 12:45 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uk turbo died on me

Guys bougt a 99 uk turbo 3 weeks ago or so, very nice car i thought,

came with a 04 uk wrx engine fitted, full decat exhaust system, up rated headers and up pipe, spaced manifold, walbro fuel pump, fuellab FPR, hybrid FMIC, 550 injectors, HKS RS induction kit with alloy hard pipe, apexi power fc, apexi avc-r, BF Defi oil temp/pressure, boost gauge, p1 lip spoiler, 5 sti rear spoiler, 17'' rims and prob a few other bits i have missed

within a few days of driving it i noticed it was chewing through fuel but after a 6 month stint in a vectra i thought i must of been used to good fuel economy, it was not untill i let a friend take it to the shop and as he pulled away i saw a puff of black smoke come out of the back as he hit boost!! the car was booked into for a rolling road check up and power test, to where i was told i was getting bore wash and the oil stunk of petrol i was advised not to drive the car get it in for an oil change and get it booked in for a remap.

so off it went to the guys a subaru4you for an oil change and service and as it had to be remapped i thought i would change the tdo4 for soemthing a little bigger so went for a vf28. then off to Bob Rawle to sort the mapping out, the car was dumping the same amount of fuel at 2000rpm as if i was full on the throttle in 3rd 4th gear so was rich as hell but after 2 or so hours going up and down bob was finaly happy, so off i go with a smile on my face

but i never made it, the mapping was done last saturday, i drove the car on sunday and to work on monday, i had to use the vectra tuesday to get an mot on it so i can sell it,

come wednesday back in the scoob driving to work and was having a little fun on some back roads nothing too stupid or fast but must of been doing 60 or a bit less when al;l power died!!!! lossed all power, dash lights came on, foot on the clutch and tried to start it, it fired up then died, tried it agian and again but nothing i came to a halt on the side of the road and time to call the AA. everytme you start it the engine would fire up and hit about 1200rpm the cut out, could no tfind any splits in any pipes, nothing had come off etc etc so once again back off to the guys at subaru4you and it is still there.

so to date not including the final figure for fixing the car this time it has cost me just under 1k and still FU$%KED.

not too sure what this post is for but, to all just be very carefiul of when you go to buy a use car i have learnyt my lesson this time and will be alot more careful next time.

so if anyone may have an idea on what is wrong then great, the only bonus is that when it is all done it will be a very good car and i hope will produce a decent output.
Old 09 February 2008, 08:13 AM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you know if any parts have been changed from when it was 1st mapped?/who mapped it?

all the best and hope you get it sorted
Old 09 February 2008, 08:31 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Bear in mind it's just a piece of machinery! Man made it, Man can fix it.
Just leave it to the chaps who do that sort of thing all day and relax, they'll sort it for you.
Old 09 February 2008, 08:44 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just hope for your sake its not internal failure, hedagasket gone/ring damage etc as if its been bore washing for a long time anything inside could of failed.

good luck,its why i didnt buy a scoob with so much upgraded parts,you dont know where to begin.

good luck,hope its an easy fix for you.
Old 09 February 2008, 11:04 AM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Cant believe it had all those mods and only a TD04 turbo???
Hope you get it sorted soon
Old 09 February 2008, 01:47 PM
New_scooby_04

Its probably something quite simple, a dodgy r poorly specified component resulting from the engine transplant.

It is funny that the prev owner did all that to it and left the tiny TD04 on there though, maybe they sold it as they knew they'd cocked something up and didn't want to shell out to have it fixed/simply couldn't afford to complete the planned mods?

I didn't think Bob mapped the Power FC?

I'd stick with it though, I'm sure when it's sorted that'll make for a very good drive. With people like Len and Bob on the case I'm sure It'll be sorted very soon!

Ns04
Old 09 February 2008, 03:40 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

thanks guys, the the guy said he liked the early spool of the tdo4 so left it on.

yeah he mapped it last saturday

yeah i will stick with it but it is soo frustrating waiting to hear from the guys to see if i can go and pick it up today.

steve