Sponsored by:

Opinions on the Type-R

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2001, 12:18 AM
Andy Hall
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I drove one up at Thurleigh and thought it was a brilliant car , they still seem to be less well known as the Scoob and so probably attract less attention from idiots. When I'm looking for a change the Integra will be at the top of the list.

Cheers
Andy
Old 02 January 2001, 12:28 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Actually Bajie, there is a new Civic Type-R for the UK later this year. It will use a tuned down version of the S2000's 2 litre unit, and BHP is said to be around 220BHP.
Andy, these things are like sleepers, I pull next to something like a 2.0 Z3, and the guy doesnt even look, just revs a bit, all smug, but its great to see his face when he's left at the lights.
The 0-100MPH is around 16.8 secs, so its a quick car. It gets absolutely no attention, so as a street racer, its perfect for causing embarrisment.
Matt, you lucky *******, a Civic Type-R, bit rare, I saw one for sale via an import company, but decided not to risk it, so took the safe route and bought my Integra Type-R from a Honda dealership.
Its cool to see you guys can have a conversation about cars, a lot of the boards are simply places to argue, and Im chuffed the ITR is held in resonably high esteem by everyone.
Cheers
Gray
Old 02 January 2001, 12:42 AM
Steve Davidson
Scooby Newbie

I feel I am in a good position to comment as I have run a MY99 5 door for 2 years prior to getting one of the last rare red Integra Type R's. I did have an order in for a new Impreza but like so many others, couldn't stand the looks. I had always been a fan of the Honda since driving one at the Jonathan Palmer Autodrome and when a cracking deal on contract hire come up (almost half the monthly cost of an Impreza) I decided to jump ship (I’ll maybe jump back when the STi comes out).
I must admit that initially, the Integra disappointed, as the combination of a tight new engine and an almost complete lack of to torque below 4000rpm ment it felt totally gutless after the Turbo, but after 2000 miles and a session at Bentwaters airfield (with Bookatrack - highly recommended) the car feels great, not only has the performance improved but cutting the edges of the front tyres has reduced the cars tendency to tramline on B roads. On the track I feel the Honda is more fun than the Impreza - between 6500 and 9000 (the V-tec zone) the car is just as quick and is so beautifully adjustable, it’s natural characteristic is oversteer, provoked by gently lifting off on the entry to corner. Plus, another bonus is that the brakes don’t give up after a few laps like the Impreza.
Otherall, I am more than happy with the car and anybody who has seen it in action is impressed (judging by comments posted on the Bookatrack web site) .....and it’s nice to get more than 150 miles out of tankfill (25+mpg).
Old 02 January 2001, 12:44 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Ive seen a couple of type R's round where i live, they are a descreet car which is the good thing about them but isnt the service interval 6k?? and i thought that they were pretty expensive to service via a main dealer too??
Lovely revvy engine thou
they are still not as quick as a uk scoob (0-100 in 14.9 secs is the best ive seen) but they are not far off! and im not too keen of the lack of torque but otherwise a great car (then again all vtecs lack torque)
Just enjoy it for the car that it is and have fun!

Tony
Old 02 January 2001, 12:44 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Had the pleasure of using one of these beauties (Integra Type R) and can safely say its the most rewarding front wheel drive car that is normally aspirated that I have been in. That noise! and that shift...bang bang bang...Great car, on the cam the best

They are great with a supercharger on them as well
Old 02 January 2001, 11:04 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

I was just wondering how the Honda Integra Type-R is percieved by Scooby drivers. I know Honda's are old mens cars, or at least percieved as such, but I have found that on a track, a Type-R will hang with a Scooby Turbo.
I know an Sti etc would blow the R away, but I was very surprised to find how little other performance car drivers (such as yourselves) know about the R.
Have any of you raced one? in a general street race, how would you imagine the outcome of the R vs the Scooby Turbo?
Now please dont flame, because Im not here to put down Scoobie's, they are very cool cars, I would just like some opinions and view points, as I considered both cars before settling on the R, so Im not anti Scoobies or anything.
Cheers
Old 02 January 2001, 11:25 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

I tell you what, forget the Integra Type R how about a Civic Type R that can keep up with tuned STI's. A mate on this board has a Civic Type R that can happily keep up with Scoobies and he's only got an Exhaust and Induction Kit
Old 02 January 2001, 11:29 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

I've driven a couple of Type-Rs at MIRA and was completely blown away.

As a rule, I hate FWD cars, but the handling was superb. It is also fairly quick (although not as fast as a scoob).

Round the wet handling circuit at MIRA a Type-R isn't a million miles off and Impreza on the same tyres, although it is definitely not as fast.

They sound awesome too.

Cheers

Simon
Old 02 January 2001, 11:36 AM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Cool

I own a Civic Type R, and it is a crackin car, 1.6 litre which will pass std or lightly tuned uk spec scoobies on Track at a lot of UK circuits. I don't want to start a my cars quicker than yours thing, the "R's" are well designed cars for Track use with very little reliability problems. I have a few friends with Integras who have beefed up the suspension and are quicker than most cars on Track. The "R's" are about handling.
On the roads it can be a pain in the *** due to havin to thrash the bollox off it to overtake. That is the beauty of VTEC, companies have tried and failed to replicate the VTEC.

I had a strict budget (Insurance + car), when buying my car a year ago and looked at the Scoob, Fuel bills and Insurance put me off. I would not sell mine for a Scooby now, although would love an Scooby Type R. Next car has to be a Skyline.
I have started savin the pennies.

Matt
Old 02 January 2001, 11:37 AM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Cool

I own a Civic Type R, and it is a crackin car, 1.6 litre which will pass std or lightly tuned uk spec scoobies on Track at a lot of UK circuits. I don't want to start a my cars quicker than yours thing, the "R's" are well designed cars for Track use with very little reliability problems. I have a few friends with Integras who have beefed up the suspension and are quicker than most cars on Track. The "R's" are about handling.
On the roads it can be a pain in the *** due to havin to thrash the bollox off it to overtake. That is the beauty of VTEC, companies have tried and failed to replicate the VTEC.

I had a strict budget (Insurance + car), when buying my car a year ago and looked at the Scoob, Fuel bills and Insurance put me off. I would not sell mine for a Scooby now, although would love an Scooby Type R. Next car has to be a Skyline.
I have started savin the pennies.

Matt
Old 02 January 2001, 11:54 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately, Honda are ceasing production of the Rs now. What a shame.
Old 02 January 2001, 01:02 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Yip Tony, every 6000 miles, but its alternated between a major and minor service, so it doesnt work out too expensive. The actual servicing costs are on a par with a Civics, so its pretty good value for money.
Insurance is the killer, but some things in life are just worth it.
Ill check out Bookatrack (is that a website? .co.uk?), as Im dying to get some track time in.
Turned 28 last month (old, I know), and my g/f got me a Supercar track thingy, get to drive 8 laps in various Supercars, including a Lamborghini Diablo and an S2000, so my R will probably feel a little tame after that lot, but still known as a good track car.
Old 02 January 2001, 01:17 PM
Steve Davidson
Scooby Newbie

yep, it's
Old 02 January 2001, 01:21 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Cool

I just had a 24,000 service at Honda dealership £140. Not too bad, i change the oil every 2500 miles, and run it on super. Integras are expensive to tune. Mugen Exhaust 4 my car £750 .
At Oulton Park i took 2 Japenese lads out and they were amazed by lack of understeer, it is very difficult to get it which is a good thing. The Porker was equally surprised, when i passed him (Carrera Turbo i think).

Integra is there any bbs for Hondas ??

Matt
Old 02 January 2001, 01:32 PM
Martynq
Scooby Newbie

Question

As I don't seem to be able to find any decent UK Honda chat sites, I thought I'd try my luck here...

I'm thinking about replacing my factory air filter on my Integra Type-R, but not sure what to go for. Only really want to do it for noise benefits. Thinking about either a Blitz or a K&N? Other considerations are whether to fit it inside the airbox or remove that completely...?

Cheers.
Old 02 January 2001, 01:44 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Type R, I always use superhonda.org, they have a very cool Type R board, but it is mostly Yanks. As the spec of these cars differs very little from country to country, it doesnt matter too much, and they're mostly very cool.
You can find out loads of info, and Honda are like the biggest tuning and street racing sensation in the States, I imagine what a Cossie or Scooby is to us here.
My board name is SideShowBob, so look out for me there, and there are a few more Brits about, probably about 6 or 7 of us floating around there.
Ill check out those track days Steve, but damn, thats expensive on tyres. Mines booked in for new fronts on Saturday, £262.00 for the stock Bridgestone Potenza's, my R's got 13000 miles on it, and these are the original fronts, so during the snow last week, I really noticed how badly I need new fronts. Nothing like getting stuck at the bottom of a tiny gradient.
So a Scooby Turbo in stock form is looking at 14.8 0-100mph. Thats damn quick, Ive seen posts about R's getting mid 15's, and some claims of low 15's, but as a general rule, its about 6.6s 0-60 and 16.5-16,8 0-100.
Put some twists in there, and it makes it seem a little closer I imagine.
Martynq, go Blitz, they have a specific kit for the R, but to notice the benefits, you'll want to reset the ECU, and probably get a new exhaust and manifold.

[This message has been edited by IntegraR (edited 02 January 2001).]
Old 02 January 2001, 01:52 PM
Kussimurran
Scooby Regular

Try
Old 02 January 2001, 05:27 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cheers for the info guys. Hope to see u guys on track this year (mines the one with a large "Option motorsport" sticker in the back). My Civic Type R is havin a bit of mild suspension tuning next month, which should improve things for when i go to Jerez in Spain.
My Quater mile best time is 15.6 in std spec at the pod, the "R's" are not for qtr mile sprints, too much wheelspin and its sooo difficult to get the revs right.

Matt