Sponsored by:

handbrake turns?

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2002, 03:36 PM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

hi all, just curious as to wether or not its safe to handbrake turn the scoobie, mines a standard irish spec car, can anyone give me the pros and cons....

Cheers Fergal
Old 21 January 2002, 03:36 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Don't do it.
Old 21 January 2002, 03:45 PM
peccy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

heard it can explode the diff! possible in WRX's though cos they have quite a loose diff - check out the AWD section in the following website and they have a good guide to all the manovours

http://www.drivingtechniques.co.uk
Old 21 January 2002, 04:02 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Fergal

Doing handbrake turns in a standard euro-scoob (like yours and mine) is a bad idea I'm afraid.

I can't give you the proper technical explanation but, simply put, it's really bad for the centre (viscous?) diff if your front and rear wheels are constantly turning at different rates. (ie front wheel turning nomally, rear wheels locked.)

You shouldn't do handbrake turns for the same reason as you MUST NOT have your car towed by the front or rear wheels only.

Rich

[Edited by RichS - 1/21/2002 4:03:44 PM]
Old 21 January 2002, 04:09 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Would never have thought of the problem with towing by 2 wheels only but thinking about it, it does make sense.
Old 21 January 2002, 04:11 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good point - never thought about it....
Old 21 January 2002, 04:46 PM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Wink

cheers lads... its the only drawback to owning a scoob ;-)
especially on our greasy roads here...

thx Fergal
Old 21 January 2002, 05:09 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Plus the handbrake mechanism apparently is fragile and handbrake turns is a *really* good way of breaking it.
Old 21 January 2002, 05:46 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I have seen a Scooby in a garage with all the rear handbrake mech ripped off the backplate due to the driver trying to handbrake turn!

It was'nt pretty....It must have cost a fortune to have all new backplates,pins,shoes etc as well!

It had to be recovered by low loader as it had apparently completely locked the rear wheels solid and couldn't be driven!!

Bet he (she) did'nt try it again!
Old 21 January 2002, 05:51 PM
Iain P
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remember this when you take your car for an MOT and they put the front wheels on rollers to test the brakes! As first if they're sure it will be OK!
Old 21 January 2002, 05:54 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

yeah my evo had to have its brakes tested via a road test rather than on the rollers at the MOT
Old 21 January 2002, 05:59 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

never done and never would if dry,but done a few in the wet,dump clutch,flick 180% and power away without any problems so far.

a m8 does them all the time,wet or dry and he's on 18's and another m8 uses the hand brake to start his donuts off,both have never had any problems.

we must be lucky I guess
Old 21 January 2002, 06:23 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

What do they do to the WRC cars to allow handbrake turns?
Old 21 January 2002, 06:25 PM
wrx
Scooby Regular

Been handbraking in mine for the last year and a half, I always depress the clutch and never had a problem. Saying that if it ever locks the rear wheels solid, the handbrake will be the last thing to worry about.
Old 21 January 2002, 06:47 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

IIRC, the Type R and RA models with the electronic centre diff alledgedly open the diff when you pull the handbrake, thus making handbrake turns a more mechanically sympathetic proposal for the car. The later model R and RAs also have a beefed up rear brake and drive system, which also helps.
Old 21 January 2002, 07:31 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Smile

Zoog,

The WRC diffs are electronic and can be adjusted via laptop. During hanbrake turns drive to the rear wheels is disconnected.

Gearbox approx £60000
Diffs and drive shafts aprrox £55000

Lee
Old 21 January 2002, 07:51 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

....been handbraking my scooby for over 14 months now... never had a prob....everyday I do it of 2 junctions on our lane and once more into the car park at work....I de-clutch everytime and sidestep it on release of the handbrake getting loadsa opposite lock....and I'll probably continue to do so...
Old 21 January 2002, 09:23 PM
Luke
BANNED

What the hell is an "Irish spec Scoob"?????!!!!

Answers on a postcard
Old 21 January 2002, 10:57 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

"Irish Spec Scoob"? Practically the same as the UK models, although they are all a lighter green than the Green Metallic we get. Also, there is little difference in performance between 98RON and Guiness. Oh, and two free lephrauns comewith each car.

Old 22 January 2002, 12:14 AM
DuggE3
Scooby Newbie

I thought an Irish Spec Scoob was one where the steering wheel came as an optional extra!!! muahahahhahaha
Old 22 January 2002, 05:58 AM
bugwaan
Scooby Regular

Smile

IRISH SPEC SCOOB

I know the one.
1. It comes with a foreign driver (preferably English.....ozzies can't drive to save themselves)

2. Its got one of those keys attached to your wrist...same as on a jet ski....( Irish ppl may forget to remove the key upon exiting the car)

3. Driving instruction manual.

4. Extra set of lights coz the Irish are very DIM

4. Lots of weapons to fend off attackers.

other than that....its same as all the other scoobs.

Only joking...the Irish aren't stupid...
I don't know what I was just thinking......
YES THEY ARE A TAD DIM.....A LOT DIM......
No LIGHTS ON IN IRELAND........
Old 22 January 2002, 09:40 AM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL ;-) sorry by irish spec i meant its not a JDM import (wrx. sti etc...) as the standard turbo 2000 is probably rarer over here than an sti ra ;-) BTW those extra leprechauns come in quite handy when changin a wheel...also dont forget we get the pint sized cup holder...

Cheers Fergal
Old 22 January 2002, 12:33 PM
MarkJackon
Scooby Regular

Why would anyone handbrake several time on the way to work, I know its good fun, however it is a tad antisocial (if other are around) and it is hard on the car.

Had a top session in the snow a couple of weeks back, deserted leisure centre car park covered in ice, wouldnt do it in the dry unless I really needed to (or I had already sold the car )
Old 22 January 2002, 01:03 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Cool

Had an MOT done on Saturday and they used the normal two wheel rollers but it was on the rollers and clutch engaged, brakes tested and off in about 10 seconds back and then 10seconds front.
There was not a complaint from the car, noise or wheel spin etc..

Was a bit worried about it... but it has done over 300miles since then so hoping it is okay. There has to be some give in it...
Old 22 January 2002, 01:45 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Why would anyone handbrake several time on the way to work, I know its good fun, however it is a tad antisocial (if other are around) and it is hard on the car
...cos I live in the middle of no-where, roadrallying is a national sport round here and as for anti-social? well if theres no-one around to upset or endanger then why not? Hard on the car? Tough **** - its my car and anyone that preaches at me how to drive it can **** off...
Old 22 January 2002, 02:18 PM
MarkJackon
Scooby Regular

Fair enough, it is your car !

Anyway I am off to Tesco on the A34 bypass tarmac special stage, hope the missus has got the pace notes ready. Cos I am a rally driver, I really am...........

Old 22 January 2002, 03:09 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Interesting comments.

As one who Autotested for a number of years, I feel qualified to comment on hand brake turns .

AFAIK the centre diff on a Euro spec UK scoob is of the viscous limited slip type. In other words, as the difference in axle speed between the front and rear axles increaces, the fluid acts to prevent the difference between a set of plates within the differential housing, this transfering torque to the axle experiencing slip. Sorry for the basics, but some don't have that much technical knowledge.

Following from that, if you lock the rear axle with the handbrake, the differential will experience the equivalent of slip and the viscous fluid will "fight" for want of a better word the difference in axle speeds, and effectively brake the front axle. Or more specifically the front wheel which has least grip as the front diff on a euro spec car is of the "free" type.

Viscous lsd's allow some slip, esp on full lock cornering.

So, and don't sue me if it all goes wrong, a low speed handbrake turn on ice, mud or snow with drive disengaged (clutch depressed)for the duration of the rear wheels being locked is, in my opinion, unlikely to cause any damage.

A low speed handbrake turn on asphalt or similar with drive disengaged and he brakes being applied to slow but not lock the front wheels is also unlikely to result in sufficient slip and hence loadings being applied to the diff(certainly less than slip arising from the application of power on wet or slippery surfaces from a standing start or exiting a low speed junction) to cause any damage.

If both rears and 1 front locked, no damage can be done period.

If, however, you apply the handbrake and power simultaneously or lock the rear wheels only at speed then you may overload the diff and either destroy the fluid's qualities due to overheating or possibly damage the plates. Unlikely you will "explode" a non mechanical diff

The reason there are problems with towing on one axle, etc, is that the difference in axle speeds is too high for too long and the diff will overheat.

Hope this helps!

D

Old 22 January 2002, 03:43 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Cos I am a rally driver, I really am...........
...co-driver actually....
Old 22 January 2002, 03:58 PM
Nick L
Scooby Regular

Oooops. Better stop it then. Shame really, as having the tyres paid for by the company really makes handbraking turning top fun. I've only done half a dozen or so in the two years I've had it and no problems so far......BUT, my old man might buy the car when its time for it to go back so should I ask the garage to check for anything before he stumps up the cash, gets hit with a repair bill and I'm off the Christmas present list.
Nick
Old 22 January 2002, 04:23 PM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers Diablo, thats the kinda explanation I needed...

thx Fergal

Quick Reply: handbrake turns?