Sponsored by:

Classic STI or WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2008, 12:34 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic STI or WRX?

Hi I am new to the forum so hello everybody.

I am unsure what Impreza to go for. I want a JDM classic (preferably facelift version) but can anybody who has owned a STI and WRX tell me is the STI worth the extra money?
Have done some research and know the differences but how much different are they in the real world?

Thanks
Old 04 February 2008, 12:59 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

worth the money to get the STI over the wrx

betetr base model car especially if you want to mod it at a later date.

i would go for the sti any day but this is just my opinion and not knocking anyone with a wrx

steve
Old 04 February 2008, 04:53 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

As above. Sti everytime over a standard WRX.
Some added features that the STi has is,

Quick rack steering,
up until 99 the wrx's only had 2 pot front calipers,
Intercooler water spray,

There are some other major advantages but im having a brain freeze moment and cant think of owt
Old 04 February 2008, 06:01 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Thanks for you opinion guys. but has anybody driven the 2 back to back?

I would rather have an STI but would have to save the pennies bit longer. A decent 97 STI is about 1.5k - 2.5k more expensive than a WRX and didn't want to wait if the real world differences are not that big
Old 04 February 2008, 09:42 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Right then i've remembered now.

The Sti came with the nice quick shift gearbox which is very nice!!
Electric folding mirrors
Larger intercooler
Alloy bonnet instead of steel
Front strut brace
Pretty sure that the internals are forged aswell.

Have driven both a wrx and an STi, and you can tell the differance between the two.
Old 04 February 2008, 10:23 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Early STi engine's were blueprinted but the later models were still built to a higher tolerance hence why they are just better overall for tuning.

It would cost extra to get a WRX to an STi spec to get that power (not that you need to go this route, some seriously big power WRX's going around on SNet).

I drove a newage STi PPP, great motor (05/06/07 STi's best ones of the newage) but a bit flabby for my liking
Test drove an 06 WRX PPP, never really got on with it as I was used to driving the STi but for all round driving, comfort and performance when needed, the WRX is a good all rounder.
Drove a classic STi version 6 and was totally in love.. so went one better and bought the lunatic STi RA.

The STi is the performance model for a reason, stiffer suspension, uprated intercooler, uprated engine (but this is questionable on later models), slightly better interior i.e the STi trim seats, dash etc and more importantly the facelift (99-00) JDM STi classics come with the STi kit from factory i.e the large rear spoiler, side kirts and the STi badges etc.

In terms of real world performance, tbh engine wise you won't notice anything while doing normal everyday town driving, also the gearbox on a WRX is suited for all round driving but I am not sure what the difference was between the classic WRX and the classic STi.

The STi v6 I droke had a quickshift gearbox which feels great, some manic shifting (Almost as insane as the RA's) but has better range for crusing (the STi RA is not made for top speed crusing). The STi v6 I test drove had a fairly quick steering rack, well compared to the veryday car's I drove. Also they come with an intercooler spray which is supposed to help keep the cooler cold when booting around but tbh I think this is more a trackday toy.

Suspension was the biggest difference, much sharper and firmer on the STi, also the STi came with steel drop links on the front, anti roll bar's all round and the distinctive carbon trimmed strut brace in the engine bay.

The difference in handling was quite a lot for me, where the WRX felt a bit soft and casual the STi was just tighter, more planted and more eager to lay the power down but.. it wasn't the most comfortable ride.

If your used to uprated suspension then you will not notice the bumpy ride (is only bad when driving around the crappy UK town roads). The throttle response on the STi felt more eager, didn't really notice the power difference just that the STi obviously seemed more keen to rev (and has a higher rev limit).

The STi RA though... well that's a different animal hehe

If you have the cash (i.e insurance looks good, finances ready) then try to get a good example of an STi, if you can afford it and fine one, the late model STi version 6's (last of the classic models made). Not much changed over the years apart from the obvious face lift, slight few tweaks interior wise and a few changes to the engine.

Hope that helps, great car's just need to be a little weary as a fair few sheds on the market.
Old 10 February 2008, 09:36 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Default Thanks

Hi thanks for your help guys
I am now the owner or a MY97 STI
Picked it up yesterday. Very impressed so far.
I am taking it back to France on Monday so will sort some pics in my profile etc.

Thanks again

Trending Topics

Old 10 February 2008, 02:59 PM
black subaru 06
Scooby Regular

i have had a wrx now have an sti and i ahould have went straight for the sti the first time both were classics this might help