Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVO 6 TO P1

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2002, 10:48 PM
Oliver T.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've currently got an Evo 6 but fancy a P1. I've had a test drive in the p1 and quite liked it.Could anybody let me know if they have had either of the cars, or both ,and how they compared them.Is the p1 as good as the evo6, or do you think I could regret changing.I'm looking for a p1 with all the upgrades I.E the 18" wheels,brakes,exhaust.I'm wanting to pay up to 25k(preferably 23k).What sort of year and milage should I be looking at.
Old 20 January 2002, 10:59 PM
teen_machine
Scooby Regular

Forget all the bits.......JUST DO IT>>>YOU WONT REGRET IT!!
Old 20 January 2002, 11:48 PM
ajw
Scooby Regular

Buy an evo 7 instead!
Old 21 January 2002, 03:04 AM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Cool

I did just that.

I had an Evo VI GSR and changed to a P1. I prefer the P1, but I'm not saying the P1 is a better car, it just suits my needs better.

I loved the Evo, the aggressive looks, the pin sharp handling and the rawness were great, but at the same time, after the novelty wore off, many of those features which initially attracted me to the car became tedious.

The 3000 mile (4500 km) official Jap service intervals became annoying and expensive, the 180 mile fill ups became tedious and the ride, although I like it firm, made the car 'difficult' on uneven roads and poor surfaces. All in all, the Evo was great fun, and if I had the cash, I would have kept it as a 'weekend' motor, but not as an only car.

The P1 to begin with is less aggressive in appearance, but sleeker and I prefer the 'coupe' style of a 2 door model. The interior is slightly plainer in my opinion and the controls are 'basic' after the digital bits in the Evo, and I do miss those wicked Recaros too.

In terms of ride and handling, the P1 is definately softer. Some hardcore enthusiasts may see this as a detriment, and yes it does mean that the cars responses aren't quite as sharp. At the same time though, apart from making the ride slightly more forgiving, it also means that the car can simply glide over undulating or poor surfaces, where you would be all over the road in the Evo. Also, for some reason, although both cars are the same size, the P1 feels more nimble and light footed than the Evo, I don't know why. Ultimately, I think this means that the P1 is a more accomplished point to point machine than the 6, on British roads at least.

Performance wise, I can't tell the difference in terms of acceleration. I prefer the way that the P1 delivers its power and the higher rev line is wicked. One real let down which no doubt you are aware of are the brakes - they're crap. After the Brembos in the Evo, I couldn't believe how **** they are, so be sure to consider the price of an immediate upgrade or find a car with decent brakes already.

Running seems cheaper, and less inconvenient. I get between 280-300 miles to a tank of petrol, servicing is a lot cheaper and less frequent, and the insurance was a lot cheaper too.

All in all it depends what you want from your car. If you're a hardcore enthusiast, then the P1 may seem a little tame after the Evo, then again, it might be just your cuppa tea.

Only you can decide

If not, how about an Evo 7 or a Euro import STI, they're both within your budget an are supposed to be 'better' than the older models?

Good luck whatever you choose. Let us know what you decide.

Cheers,

MS
Old 21 January 2002, 04:03 AM
Oliver T.
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers for that Martin. How long did you have the evo? and
when you got rid of it, did you sell it private or did you trade it in.
Old 21 January 2002, 10:46 AM
EvoRSX
Scooby Regular

Oliver,
I've owned an Evo6 for about a year and a half and have only test driven a P1 so my experiences are probably a bit biased but here goes anyway...

1) If you do go for the P1 then it is a MUST that you get the upgraded brakes. IMHO the brakes on the P1 were the biggest disappointment in comparison to the Evo.

2) If you're going to be doing a lot of everyday driving them you'd be better off going for the P1. It is a lot more civilised than the Evo on a day to day basis but then again, I've done 35,000 miles in mine and you do get used to the hard ride and shortish range. I don't know about the comment about the 180 mile range but I know that I get about 230-240 miles from a tank.

3) The pain with the Evo's is the 4,500 mile services. If you're doing a lot of miles then you're looking at servicing every 2 months or less and this can be a bit off putting. The extended intervals on the P1 will help.

At the end of the day, go and test drive one and see if it's for you. It'll be a lot more refined than the Evo and blends in easier with the crowd (flame suit on) but at the end of the day, its each to their own.

Andy
Old 21 January 2002, 11:08 AM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Agree with all thats been said - nice friendly and objective observations.

The 18" wheels I am sure do not make that much difference (although some on here swear by them) but do look good. If you do a lot of city driving I wouldn't get them.

Two things you must get are better brakes (as has been said) and a good exhaust system. Every Impreza owner without a sports exhaust is missing out on one of the best benefits of the boxer engine - the sound, and a full system including downpipe has a truly wonderful effect on the power delivery. Get a full Scoobysport or Power Engineering system (the latter can be had with a sports cat, not sure about the former)- you will be in sonic heaven and know that on at least one level the Scoob has the Evo beat hands down .

Enjoy

Mike
Old 21 January 2002, 11:54 AM
Martin J Stirling
Scooby Regular

Smile

Oliver,

I bought my Evo in Sept 2000 for £22,000 with 2.5K miles on from a dealer and sold it privately in April 2001 for tha same price with 9.5K miles on.

What are your immediate thoughts then after all the comments so far? What is making you change cars now, are you bored and fancy a change, or is there something about the Evo which you're fed up with?

Be interested in your reaction to the comments so far..

MS
Old 21 January 2002, 12:47 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

For the price that your looking for a P1 for you may as well buy a UK STi and wait til Prodrive bring out the PPP for it, its newer, better (unfortunately heavier) than the P1 and they start at 25500 quid sooooooo...... (also better gearbox, brakes etc)

Tony
Old 21 January 2002, 12:56 PM
P1 Enthusiast
Scooby Regular

Few tips for you.

Agreed the P1 brakes need the upgrade, i tested my Prodrive upgrade against Brembo's at the Lincoln meet and they were better, no initial harsh contact and better stopping power with more control. So get a car with prodrive upgrade if you can.

Try and get a car with a boost gauge as its a nice toy and the decat group N downpipe as the car then delivers around 310bhp and is still in warranty.

Try and ensure the P1 you buy has been running on fully synth gearbox oil for its entire life as the transmission will be better on it then.

Lastly, enjoy, i havent regretted not getting an EVo 6 since i got my P1. I initially was set on the 6 and test drove it loads, the P1 with its superior engine noise and better ride imho won me over, its needs serviced half as much, for less money, and is alot less to run
Old 21 January 2002, 06:38 PM
Oliver T.
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for all your comments.The reason I'm looking at getting
a p1 is that I just fancy a change. From what I can gather the brake upgrade is a must. I want the 18" wheels purely because I think they look better, and the exhaust for the awesome sound.I think the performance of my evo 6 is incredible I just hope I'm not diserpointed if and when I get my p1. If their is anybody out their who knows of a p1 for sale who might fancy doing a deal, please let me Know.By the sounds of it though you'd rather have a p1.
Cheers.
Old 21 January 2002, 09:10 PM
chopper
Scooby Regular

Hi Oliver,

I have a mint 2001 Y reg P1 with just 6k miles and SS backbox, otherwise std and never track day'd. I am shortly to upgrade to an F355 but am in no rush - so if you are interested in selling your evo first, then please consider mine before I give it to a dealer for a stupid price in a month or two.

Adi
Old 21 January 2002, 10:24 PM
chris p1
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Adi you getting a f355 bloody hell mate that chopper business must be taking off my old man must be in the wrong game.
Chris.
Old 21 January 2002, 10:36 PM
chopper
Scooby Regular

Hi dude,

No, not flying for a living at the mo - working in the city so money's a bit better. Saying that, can't afford to fly at the mo due to the stupid UK prices so a car is my only salvation!!

If your old man want's to hire the jet ranger cheap then I would love to meet him...

Adi
Old 22 January 2002, 10:14 AM
Doc1
Scooby Regular

Hi there. i went from a P1 to an evo vi and i have to say i regret it almost everyday! God i hate the suspension on the evo. And without doubt all my friends and family say "it's not as nice as the p1 is it" and my heart sinks!
Yes the evo is quicker (or feels quicker), but for day to day driving and the occasional blast the P1 is a superior car in my opinion for a number of reasons, such as service interval, fuel capacity, and as i said that bloody suspension. I'm sure they replaced my shocks with scaffold poles! If you want any other info feel free, but if you want my advice: choose a P1.

Rob