Sponsored by:

Windscreen replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2001, 09:51 AM
Mad_Scientist
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

In the vast coldness of SE England the small stone chip in the windscreen of MY98 5dr decided to crack right across - hence the need for a new one !

Do I trust the likes of Autoglass or should I "request" my insurer to make the repair at the local Subaru dealer ?

Cheers
T
Old 01 January 2001, 11:45 AM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Smile

I just had mine replaced by Silver Shield. They came to the house and did it in about 1 1/2 hours. Then had to leave car for glue to dry. I dont see any advantage in having it done at your Subaru dealer as they will just get one of these services in. Beware the clips on the roof gutter usually break (This is pulled back)requiring new clips from your Subaru dealer. The technician that fits the screen will supply these as necessary but probably will not carry them with him. I had to wait for a week for him to come back and fit a new clip.Mine was a green tint.
Good Luck
Greg
Old 01 January 2001, 04:14 PM
PAS
Scooby Regular

Autoglass replaced my windscreen a couple of months back, they did a good job. I think it's safe using someone like them.

Paul
Old 01 January 2001, 07:23 PM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

Had my windscreen replaced with Autoglass. had to wait about 2 days coz he had to order the correct green tinted screen and they also ordered new clips.
Old 01 January 2001, 11:18 PM
andymac
Scooby Regular

Autoglass did mine as well. It took them about 2 days to get the glass in - first time they had the wrong colour tint so had to re-order. Then they got the correct one in and one of the guys drove into it and bust it ! So the 3rd one finally arrived. However, it took them 3 or 4 attempts to fit it properly. Problem was getting the clips to fit properly on the top edge. You could hear the glass creaking as you went along the road. Apparently the clips that Subaru use are different to UK cars and so once they found that out and got the right ones it was ok. It was very irritating though !
All in all, it took about 4 weeks to get sorted.

They aren't half clean though these new windscreens ;-))))))

cheers
Andy
Old 01 January 2001, 11:34 PM
Rob W
Scooby Regular

Smile

Autoglass fitted mine, lovely job!
I took the car to them and it took a couple of hours.
If you want it done in this weather I would advise you take it to a depot, that way you can be sure you get a puka job!
I say this because I used to work for them and there is a possibility of leaks/wind noise when fitted outside in bad weather.

Rob