Sponsored by:

Humming noise

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2008, 10:28 AM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Humming noise

I tried posting this in the technical forum but didn't get many responses, so thought I'd try here.

First off, I drive an 02 WRX. Basically, I've started to notice a humming noise between 50 and 60MPH in 3rd 4th and 5th gear. It started as a very faint hum, but it's recently become louder and louder, to the extent that I can now hear it over the radio when it's on full blast.

I've also noticed the noise in 2nd and 3rd at around 30MPH.

The important thing to note is it doesn't seem to be how hard the engine is revving that effects the noise. I can rev out of gear and the noise won't show. It also only seems to happen when I push the pedal, when I take my foot off it vanishes. It will also only happen when the engine is warm. The warmer the engine, the louder it seems to be.

I took it into Subaru a while ago and they said they couldn't really hear it at all on the rolling road, but tried it on the road and could hear a very faint hum which they put down to tyre noise. It's definitely not tyre noise and it's becomming louder and louder... It's pissing me off!

Anybody have any idea what it might be? My dad said it could be a gearbox bearing going? I'm not mechanically minded so have no clue if that could be the case.

Any feedback very much welcome.
Old 31 January 2008, 10:52 AM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very common problem, a Humming bird has been sucked into the air intake and is fighting not to be bladed by the turbo.
Old 31 January 2008, 02:17 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Lol Bushi - Could be! :P

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 31 January 2008, 02:24 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

Quite a few years ago had something similar (sort of humming) on my car at the time (sr astra) turned out to be the main diff bearings, thing was we actually stripped it down and could'nt find a thing, still did it, so stripped it again replaced the main roller bearings, quite as a lamb after that.

ray t