Sponsored by:

Letter from Trafficmaster

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2008, 07:13 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Letter from Trafficmaster

Just got a letter through the post from Trafficmaster telling me that they now offer RAC Trackstar tracking throughout Europe. Good news you would think? Wrong!
For this unique service they have decided to :

A).. Put their prices up to £132 a year

B).. Have the cheek to start charging me another full years subscription from 6th Feb 2008. I only renewed my current subscription September 2007.

It wouldn't be so bad as if my insurance company didn't insist I have my Tracker active on my UK STi.

Car Tax and now this, no wonder people sell up.

Rant Off.
Old 29 January 2008, 07:23 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jpor
Just got a letter through the post from Trafficmaster telling me that they now offer RAC Trackstar tracking throughout Europe. Good news you would think? Wrong!
For this unique service they have decided to :

A).. Put their prices up to £132 a year

B).. Have the cheek to start charging me another full years subscription from 6th Feb 2008. I only renewed my current subscription September 2007.

It wouldn't be so bad as if my insurance company didn't insist I have my Tracker active on my UK STi.

Car Tax and now this, no wonder people sell up.

Rant Off.
lol, glad it's not just me who spat my dummy out

'as you're such a valued customer.....we'll provide you with a better service and peace of mind.....blah,blah'

oh, and we'll take even more of your money

well Laura (probably looks like an orange as i'm no doubt paying for your fake tan top ups) Orange, i don't travel in europe, never will and you know what? i'll take my chances my car won't be nicked and shipped abroad. where's the fecking box to tick where i don't want this 'upgraded' service and don't have to pay any more??????????

oops, i've spat it out again haven't i? it's been a bad day, sorry
Old 29 January 2008, 07:27 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

If you renewed in September then they would unless they have written to you have to honour the terms of that contract until expiry or cancallation by letter from them.
Old 29 January 2008, 07:28 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
lol, glad it's not just me who spat my dummy out

'as you're such a valued customer.....we'll provide you with a better service and peace of mind.....blah,blah'

oh, and we'll take even more of your money

well Laura (probably looks like an orange as i'm no doubt paying for your fake tan top ups) Orange, i don't travel in europe, never will and you know what? i'll take my chances my car won't be nicked and shipped abroad. where's the fecking box to tick where i don't want this 'upgraded' service and don't have to pay any more??????????

oops, i've spat it out again haven't i? it's been a bad day, sorry
Agreed, would be nice to have the choice. I will be ringing them up tomorrow to enquiry why the second charge of £132. After less than 6 months of the subscription. Even Sky don't pull a fast one like that.
Old 29 January 2008, 07:33 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Oops not heard anything yet, I await the letter lol
Old 29 January 2008, 07:39 PM
imf1
Scooby Regular

Got mine If they got the car to Europe its no effing good anyway, is it? Supposed to track it in the hour

Old 29 January 2008, 07:41 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Agreed, would be nice to have the choice. I will be ringing them up tomorrow to enquiry why the second charge of £132. After less than 6 months of the subscription. Even Sky don't pull a fast one like that.
yeah, that is a bit naughty. give 'em hell

i pay monthly so it's only a quid a month, but it's the fact that they're making a big deal of monitoring a completly different country and like it or not you're paying!

i'm sure it'll be a great service for many people, but if you ask for it then you pay for it. leave the rest alone with the contract they signed up to.

Trending Topics

Old 29 January 2008, 07:45 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imf1
Got mine If they got the car to Europe its no effing good anyway, is it? Supposed to track it in the hour

Agreed.
Old 29 January 2008, 07:49 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
If you renewed in September then they would unless they have written to you have to honour the terms of that contract until expiry or cancallation by letter from them.
Good point I'll mention that to them tomorrow.
It's just unfortunate that they are trying to pull this sort of stunt in the first place, just because this model of car just has the RAC Trackstar. Shame they didn't put both an RAC tarckstar and another tracker so you had a choice.
Old 29 January 2008, 07:49 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I don't see how they can charge you for another whole year when you are only 6 months in

I'd consider using a different insurance company, mine don't care about a tracker.
Old 29 January 2008, 08:03 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
I don't see how they can charge you for another whole year when you are only 6 months in

I'd consider using a different insurance company, mine don't care about a tracker.
Which one are you with? Currently with A-PLan myself and they insist to have a cheaper insurance I have the Tracker on and active or part of the insurance claim for theft isn't vaild
Old 29 January 2008, 08:20 PM
STi_Si
Scooby Regular

Not heard anything yet and have just renewed on new car...

Do you get any choice in refusing the extra cover and cost???

Last edited by STi_Si; 29 January 2008 at 09:01 PM. Reason: added
Old 29 January 2008, 08:49 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

got my letter too
hasnt she been busy

budgie
Old 29 January 2008, 09:01 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

which tracker do i have on mine? as i didn't buy it new, and i haven't received any letter, will it have been activated by the previous owner, and how long does subscription last from new is it 3 years like the warrenty , so many questions
Old 29 January 2008, 09:06 PM
STi_Si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by azz250478
which tracker do i have on mine? as i didn't buy it new, and i haven't received any letter, will it have been activated by the previous owner, and how long does subscription last from new is it 3 years like the warrenty , so many questions
If it's a UK car then most likely Trackstar, you would need to re-subscribe to them on changing car, and most companies offer subscription per year (approx £120-130) or lifetime (£325) with RAC... As stated, haven't had a letter yet either..

Simon

Last edited by STi_Si; 29 January 2008 at 09:07 PM. Reason: added
Old 29 January 2008, 09:22 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

thanks sti si, so if the previous owner had done lifetime would it still active
Old 29 January 2008, 09:22 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Which one are you with? Currently with A-PLan myself and they insist to have a cheaper insurance I have the Tracker on and active or part of the insurance claim for theft isn't vaild
try keith michaels i did not need a tracker when insured through them.

waste of money in my opinion a decent tea leaf will know where they are fitted and just rip out and *** it off if they want the car bad enough
Old 29 January 2008, 09:44 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by azz250478
thanks sti si, so if the previous owner had done lifetime would it still active
No. As you have to register as the new owner and then pay for the registration.

Had a tracker fitted to my last scooby (UK 2000 Turbo) and in the documentation it states you cannot transfer the tracker registration.

I suppose it's so that if it is stolen, that person can't ring up and claim he/she has just bought the car and wants the tracker details transferred etc...
Old 29 January 2008, 09:45 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnnyroper
try keith michaels i did not need a tracker when insured through them.

waste of money in my opinion a decent tea leaf will know where they are fitted and just rip out and *** it off if they want the car bad enough
Cheers will give them a try on renewal
Old 29 January 2008, 10:19 PM
satancom
Scooby Regular

No letter for me yet... But if / when I do I will rant at them and probably cancel it, don't need one for my current insurance so no problem. Cancel them, my RAC cover and join the AA..

Will tell them this to see if they keep me paying £10 a month, if not then no worries, I'll cancel
Old 29 January 2008, 10:25 PM
fivealive
BANNED

Has DSG Retail taken over the running of RAC Trackstar??

Why not move to an Insurer who do not insist on a Trakker? And dump them?
Old 29 January 2008, 11:28 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

The price increase is for renewals after 6th Feb 2008, your renew will be at the normal time when it is due. The letter is just to inform you of the price.

dipster
Old 30 January 2008, 07:37 AM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

TrafficMaster are a complete nightmare - i registered my tracker when i got the car, filled in their form etc and sent it off. Heard nothing for weeks. Chased it over a month later to say i needed a certificate as proof of tracker for my insurances. They then sent me a certificate in an envelope.

Did you guys get any other paperwork when you registered? Welcome pack? I've heard that you can call them twice a year to get them to track your car for free (like as a test) - is this true? I got no info at all
Old 30 January 2008, 11:11 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

[QUOTE=Steve_PPP;7609894]TrafficMaster are a complete nightmare[quote]
Quite!

Originally Posted by Steve_PPP
Did you guys get any other paperwork when you registered?
I've never had a certificate at all from them, we just usually send a copy of the receipt we got from them to the insurance companies which they seem happy with.
Old 30 January 2008, 11:58 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, would be nice to have the choice. I will be ringing them up tomorrow to enquiry why the second charge of £132. After less than 6 months of the subscription.
You must have received a different letter than me - either that or I can't read properly?

Basically as far as I'm concerned, my next renewal will be £132 instead of the usual £120

Also, regarding paperwork.
Yes, I have a big A4 page stating that my car is fitted with a tracker etc.

As for phone calls, I call up about 3 times per year for a test track.
Sometimes they do it there and then and sometimes someone calls you back - I get the impression it depends on how busy they actually are.

Shaun

Last edited by urban; 30 January 2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 30 January 2008, 12:09 PM
PantsUK
Scooby Regular

Just regestering my new car. She said I could sign up now for 120 or 132 in march but that would give me Europe wide cover. As I'm going to the "ring" later this year I'm happy to have the £132 option (as it is now).

I would suggest that they are not trying to double charge you just saying your next renewal with be £132 !!!!

as the last post states I think !

They also ran a test for me within the hour.

didn't know what the test would entail until I got a strange ringing in the car .... as I franticly looked for a phone it dawned on me ...
Old 30 January 2008, 03:52 PM
LiamWR1
Scooby Regular

It's only an extra £12 a year and for that you get Europe covered. So in essence it stops cars being stolen and shipped across the channel. A good thing is it not?.
Old 30 January 2008, 04:15 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got mine yesterday and we are forgeting the main reason these are fitted is to give some peice of mind of recovery as these cars are usually parked up after being stolen if its an order steal. And before some says but i dont want my car back after someone has stolen it I KNOW.
Old 30 January 2008, 04:19 PM
Camouflage
Scooby Regular

I'm insured through A Plan and I didn't need a Tracker
Old 30 January 2008, 05:22 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

got my letter through this morning saying it had gone up , ive had the car just over 2 year now and atleast twice a month it activates itself so i get a phonecall from them and have to confirm my details.i asked them why it was doing this and they said i had to take it to one of there approved places to be looked at, when they said i had to pay for this i thought bollocks to that atleast i know that it works ok.so one day ime driving along and a young bird phones me up from trackstar sayin ive had an activation , so i say ow has it gone off again so she says yes and takes my details, then she comes out with a cracker and says if its bothering you goin off so often would you rather we didnt phone you.before i gave her my reply i thort hmm i pay 120 quid my car does get nicked an nobody bothers to let me know,ive heard of being a bit blonde but fek me how thick.

Quick Reply: Letter from Trafficmaster