Sponsored by:

Intolerance of overtaking?

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2002, 01:02 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Is it my imagination or is there less acceptance of overtaking these days even when perfectly safe and legal to do so?

I seem to get flashed very regularly when completeing overtaking manouvers by both the car I went past and oncoming traffic that was miles away. It is not specific to the car I m driving either.

What is it with these people? Do they see it as a narcissistic insult to be overtaken? If so they should goi faster in the first place. (It is usually the 45mph-everywhere brigade that are the most uptight about it too.)
Old 20 January 2002, 01:07 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

I get it mainly from oncoming vehicles even though they're a more than adequate distance away.[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Probably expect me to be one the wrong side of the road longer than i am.
Old 20 January 2002, 01:27 PM
legacyPete
Scooby Regular

Angry

I get this as well, it's usually from members of the 40mph everywhere club.
Old 20 January 2002, 04:29 PM
Wheels
Scooby Regular

People flashing there headlights from behind are letting you know its safe to pull in. Helps lorry drivers out no ends as they are 4 times longer than a car and no rear view mirrow to see out of. The people oncoming are possible concerned you never took the other guys advice and pulled in
Old 20 January 2002, 04:30 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just flash em back. And I don't mean your headlights.
Old 20 January 2002, 06:03 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

I get this a lot from on coming vehicles. I put it down to the fact that they have no idea how quick your going to overtake and get back in

David
Old 20 January 2002, 06:13 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

If the oncoming car flashes at me I always give a polite wave and a smile, It p155es them off no end.
Old 21 January 2002, 10:32 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

If the oncoming traffic that is about three light years away starts flashing just stay on their side of the road until the last possible minute to scare the living excrement out of them.

Only joking by the way and in response to the question yes I get this a lot. Most probably the oncoming traffic doesn't realise how fast a Scoob is so panic sets in as they judge your car by the standards of their own.

Remember most people (in the UK at least) are crap at overtaking (need at least a thirty mile empty straight before they'll even consider it - bit like David Coulthard in Monaco - hahaha).

Regards,

tiggers
Old 21 January 2002, 11:12 PM
rich101
Scooby Regular

Wink

I get a whole heap of flashing, just see it as my personal fan club !!!

rich
Old 21 January 2002, 11:33 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Talking

I got this just last week bloody falshing like mad so i gave him the finger as i went past and noticed it was my brother.
Old 22 January 2002, 09:27 AM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Yea but I did it to my boss last week

Ian
Old 22 January 2002, 09:53 AM
BaldyMan
Scooby Regular

Cool

Everybody flashes me, would'nt mind got no friends, nobody loves me (violin) boo hoo hoo

1 : There annoid that a faster (better) car is overtaking them
2 : There embarressed because it means that the people behind you will overtake at the next chance

As for people coming at you, they have got nothing better to do than reply to the flash from the person that you are overtaking.

Just ignore them, bask in the wormth and comfort of your scooby, let them go green with envy.

And don't use the finger, it's usually someone you know (the ex's parents)

Wonder why she's my ex ?
Old 22 January 2002, 01:57 PM
Scooby370beast
Scooby Regular

Hey hey guys, people in the UK are so crap at overtaking...Remember they stay behind this bloody buses even if they can see a mile ahaid that nobody is coming ********* pisses me off..u see thats why i've got a scooby to overtake 3 and 4 cars in a row-My scooby is 345 bhp and is so funny when somebody is doing 25 annoying miles per hour and you finally find a nice clear way to overtake him its so so funny so many times trying to race their piece of sh*t so that you cant overtake them hahahaha what are they thinking???? We drive scoobs not skodas!! come on what wrong with these people. Best thing to do is either give them the finger if they flash(they do it all th time) but usually i dissappear doing speeds of light so usually they havent realised what overtook them hahahaha its so funny though...Anyway keep the overtaking guys its got to be that way we have the fastest and safest cars for this kind of things...
Old 22 January 2002, 02:12 PM
MarkJackon
Scooby Regular

Most people equate the time/distance/acceleration thing with their own car and then sh*t themselves when there is another car coming the other way on the wrong side. Happens all the time with bikes

Could always be that you drive like a *** !
Old 22 January 2002, 03:57 PM
Scooby370beast
Scooby Regular

Well this never happened to me because by the time they will try and race their piece of **** to make me crash its too late because there is nothing on the road which will be faster than my scooby at the time that im next to them.
Old 22 January 2002, 04:45 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Make it amusing by counting how many seconds until they pass going the other way since they flashed.
I got to 7 seconds once. I begin to wonder sometimes if the driver of the car coming the other way is actually awake, or at least got their eyes open... (using binoculars at the wheel, maybe?)
Old 22 January 2002, 04:52 PM
Scooby370beast
Scooby Regular

hahahahhhahaha...Thats true but i think i know why..THey feel safer to do it when u just gone past..meaning that they are scared that you ll stop and maybe go back and chase them..Or as u said they are falling asleep and you wake them up with the noise of your car getting closer to them..
Old 22 January 2002, 05:20 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think half the time they never even knew I was there and perhaps I startled them. Worrying.
Old 22 January 2002, 06:07 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

I get this all the time as well and I reckon it has been getting worse in the last few months - maybe the wombles in the other cars are more worried in this damp weather that you are going to loose control - who knows.

My only worry is that one of these people having equated my Scooby's performance to that of their own car will report me to the police and *I* will have to prove I was not driving dangerously.

Cheers

Robin
Old 22 January 2002, 07:30 PM
turbojunkie
Scooby Regular

I call it "inadequate car syndrome" !
Old 22 January 2002, 07:48 PM
Little Miss WRX

Wink

As long as you don't overtake around a corner , coming up to one, or overtake in an unsafe manner then I guess it is just a case of, up yours

I don't tend to get flashed a lot, but there are the occaisonal drivers wwho seem to thing that it is wrong of other drivers to overtake them oh well, smile sweetly and drive off into the distance
Old 23 January 2002, 09:12 AM
MattN
Scooby Regular

I think it's funny.

Oncoming cars are flashing you cos your performing what they think is a dangerous act so they try to blind you whilst on the wrong side of the road - clever!

I used to get gestures quite a lot - my theory goes along the lines of if youve got time to flash, gesture or sound your horn then youve got time to waste so I couldn't have been that close. I know in an emergency I tend to brake or steer (or both) to avoid it, I don't rely on the flashing lights to 'melt' the obsticle or the horn to destroy it using sound waves.
Old 23 January 2002, 12:54 PM
RichieB
Scooby Regular

Smile

You lot are being a bit cavalier if I may say so, and this is all a bit one-sided. I overtake aswell when its safe, but I can't remember being flashed. On the other hand, i havn't flashed anyone recently either for bad overtaking manoevers.

Look at it from the other persons point of view. 99% wouldn't know what a Scoob was! They just see a car coming towards them and react. I know that my wife doesn't feel very comfortable sometimes when cars are overtaking and coming towards her at a rate of knots, and she shouldn't be forced to brake by them. Let's face it, they're not mind readers are they, and whilst most drivers are responsible overtakers, some are not...infact some are total W*nkers, and you know that's true.

So my devils advocate point is....chill out a bit and respect others a bit more. Go on...flame me!

Cheers,

Rich
Old 23 January 2002, 01:13 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

flame flame flame!

There!
Old 23 January 2002, 04:02 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Flame?

Well I've been in a convoy of scoobs, and was stunned when one starting overtaking through double white-lines. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

It's all about individuals... What can you do, eh?
Old 23 January 2002, 04:26 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Michelle - You would never overtake in a slightly dodgey place would you!

I read the yesterday and couldn't think of an example. Driving home last night I left the M25 early ebcuase I was bored of sitting in the pulsing traffic jam and the 206 trying to get into my boot.

I left at J17 and went towards Mill End, there is a section of duel carriage way, grass central reservation, from the M25 to the next roundabout. I was approaching another car, I was doing around 50 accelerating towards 70, indicated to overtake and moved across. We were a long way from the roundabout (in fact you couldn't see it) when the guy in front decides he want to be in my lane (no idication) . Glad of the new brakes... he then swerves all over the place and goes back into the inside lane. I wait a second or two to see what he is going to do and the proceed past him. As I move back in carefully and with plenty of space, I got flashed and then he tunred the beams on and charged at the back of my car!!

Still no idea why he reacted like this, I simply made usre there was a safe gap between us and clicked the mirror so he wasn't blinding me. Thankfully we went different directions at the roundabout.

Some people out there are highly strung and really don't understand what the lanes are for on roads.

I did smile when I got home and had to wait for one of my neightbours to reverse on to their drive. Stalled eight times (I started counting at three), and drove over a border... his wife won't be impressed. What did I do... sat there and waited no point in hassling, though he could have made it to ten!
Old 23 January 2002, 05:40 PM
Osama Mc Donalds
Scooby Regular

Agreed
Yes I get it a lot also really I try to ignore them as it would just pisses me off even thinking about it.

Too many people think that they own the road and that they are always right but hey that's why there are so many accidents

Giving them the finger through the back window while you pull away and fly off can be fun lol

Osama
Old 23 January 2002, 06:11 PM
Little Miss WRX

Wink

Mark, I never overtake in dodgy places I am older and wiser now
Old 23 January 2002, 07:06 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

Red face

This is definitely a trait of the 40mph everywhere gang. I have no objection to them doing 40 in a 60 limit, but equally they shouldn't object to being overtaken. I do get mad when they do 40 in a 30 though.....

They're not even aware of just how their own car can perform, let alone a Scooby....

They do appear generally to be <flame suit on> of the older generation to (and I'm 36!).

Tim
Old 24 January 2002, 08:42 PM
matt d
Scooby Regular

Yes, I've had this a few times. If it's an oncoming car flashing then I just put on full beam until they're past; if it's the car behind then I just put the rear view mirror on "dimmer mode" and it doesn't bother me.

Quick Reply: Intolerance of overtaking?