Sponsored by:

Tried the new Impreza and…

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2000, 09:15 PM
darren f
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I wasn't impressed. Can't help feeling that Subaru's marketing guys have reasoned that that their buyers are maturing and have produced a car to suit. It felt… just, well ordinary.

I'd summarise as follows: (only my opinions, feel free to comment!!)
1) Looks better in the flesh than in the photos (as everybody says)!
2) It was pleasant to drive, rather than exciting (unlike MY99) although the (higher?) driving position makes you feel that you sit 'on' it rather than in it.
3) It was deceptively quick, further emphasising the civilised feel.
4) The interior is much improved- could it have got worse?
5) The steering has been improved- it feels more direct and responsive

I got out after the test drive wondering who is Subaru's marketing target, the WRX has a character that is more BMW than RS Cosworth. Even my wife complained to the salesman that 'it's now a girly car….!'

Any of hard-core web surfers out there found out the spec of the Sti we are supposedly getting late next year? I can't help thinking it's going to need the full 280bhp and some trick suspension mods to get back the old Impreza character.

[This message has been edited by darren f (edited 31 December 2000).]
Old 31 December 2000, 09:34 PM
CLS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

A good friend of mine who bought a MY97 after I had raved about scoobies in general is now in a quandry because having tried the MY01 he is so underwhelmed.
He wants to move on and not surprisingly needs a new car but doesn't want to worry about residuals of the old model by purchasing one of the last MY00 models. What does he buy though. There is nothing to compare with the MY00 at the price.
He is trying to like the new shape. If it looked like some of the shots posted on the IWOC site there would be a queue a mile long.
Me? MY00 3300 miles DBM
Old 31 December 2000, 09:41 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Tend to agree with all your comments. Still did not stop me from ordering one though. Could not find anything in the price range to compete. Though I'll be sorry to see my MY99 go. Suspect the only "real" test, will be to get it on one of my favourite roads (EG. Glen Devon road and onto Knockhill) and see how it performs with a couple of thousand miles under the wheels (a couple of weeks driving to me).

Interested to see on the "official" Subaru site, that they offer a "sport suspension" kit! Must admit, that one thing that struck me, was that it looked like it could do with riding 15/20 mm lower (room for a smal child to crawl under those wheel arches).

O'hum.. wonder if it will come in January (as the dealer promised)! You know what they say about the road to hell...

Enjoy.....