Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

P1 options questions

Search this Thread

Old 25 December 2000, 08:43 PM
Dave25
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am trading my MY00 in for a P1 ( picking up on 3rd Jan ) and need some answer to the following questions:

Which of the Prodrive upgrades are worth having? I was especially thinking of the Prodrive / Alcon brake upgrade, because I don't find the standard ones great, and think this will be my first upgrade. Magazines say that the P1 has STi brakes but aren't these just the same as the standard UK ones ( they look like the same 4 pots to me )

How different is the optional exhaust - does it give more power and is it reasonably refined? ( Car quoted it as "feel smoother and more free-revving and pumping up the warbling exhaust note to a wickedly fruity level" )

I've read good things ( In Car ) about the wheel & tyre upgrade but the Evo article suggested that the ride quality and stability were affected over bad roads, which is a concern. Love the look of them though....

The add-on's I am getting is Armourfend and the Prodrive mud flaps which normally come with the 18" wheels. Can you fit these mud flaps yourself? Don't want to have to pay the dealer to do it.

My dealer doesn't have any of the options on his demonstrator so would like to get some opinion. I'm in Cambridge & Leicester so if anyone near those has the options and doesn't mind me having a look I'd be most grateful.

Lots of questions! Thanks for your views.

Merry Xmas

Dave.

Old 26 December 2000, 03:40 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I consider the prodrive options to always be extortionate.
The brakes although v impressive to look at seem have given people problems lately relating to the material from which the ds3000 are made. It seems that the dust has been destroying paintwork so make sure this has been resolved before you buy anything.

As for mudflaps, ask MTR, seems to be the expert in that respect.

Armourfend is definitely a great idea, but I would be tempted to see how much you can get it for elsewhere. Ask Blow dog about this.

Personaly I wouldnt bother with 18s from a handling point of view. ALthough I have not had direct comparison myself, I am doubtful that the pros outweigh the cons and having never experienced the 18s, you may not realise what you are missing.

Exhaust. From the people I know who have bought the prodrive exhaust, most end up changing for a more meaty aftermarket exhaust, so in this respect I would leave it standard until you feel the need to change then go for something like an ss, sm or bpm backcx.
Sound is more pronounced on these, and many consider the prodrive to be weak.

Power really isnt an issue with back boxes. I seriously doubt all the claims to noticable power differences acieved through backboxes. These are more likely attributed to the increased noise given a perception of greater performance.

Whatever you do, good luck.

I have one question though.

Did you test drive the evo 6 before commiting to the P1?
Old 26 December 2000, 06:40 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Talking

My old P1 had a couple of the options fitted.

Brakes - found them superb. Never had any brake dust problems, but believe the owners that have. I'm sure the pads would be different on any new kits. Dont go for AP or Brembo not because they are bad kits, but because come resale dealers like the Alcons fitted. Bids with and without the brake kit were about £750 different. Get 10% discount from your dealer and free fitting, sell your 4 pots which are the same as a MY00. Brakes will then cost about £300. Not bad value.

When I first got the car I had a Scoobysport fitted. I then changed to the P1 backbox. No difference in power. Fairly similar noise on full throtle, but a bit less boomy on motorways. Bit quieter at idle. Again get a discount and free fitting. To personal a subject on the noise front. Always start with the P1 box. There will always be willing buyers.

Cant comment on the wheels, but have seen P1's next to each other with the 17 & 18" fitted. You do have to look close to notice the upgrade. Maybe Gold ones will show youve spent the dosh.

I wouldnt call the Prodrive prices OTT. My brakes fitted cost the same as AP's or Brembos. The backbox cost the same as a SS. This is assuming your dealer does a deal.

Hope you enjoy the car. I keep seeing them and feeling a bit jealous of the owners.

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Jonathan (edited 26 December 2000).]
Old 26 December 2000, 07:31 PM
Renrag
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Pro-drive 4 pots are brilliant but does create a lot of brake dust and it's a bugger to clean the wheels. Anyone got any cleaning suggestions?
With regards the back box I've upgraded to the SS one and it sounds great without being OTT. I also have a 2.ol Westfield on twin 45's - that's loud so I'm quite greatful for a slightly muted growl.
I'm on 17" wheels and love the ride. Haven't tried 18's and don't think I shall so can't advise. Too many bumpy roads near me so 17's seem sensible.
PS What is Armourfend?
Old 26 December 2000, 08:22 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

I've been reading a number of posts moaning about the dust from the DS's with the Prodrive brake upgrade. My Prodrive brakes dirty the wheels no more than the orginal pads did on my old standard MY98.

To clean the wheels nothing beats a simple regular soapy brush with car shampoo and a £99 B&Q Kercher turbo washer to blast away the stubborn grime.

Ken
Old 26 December 2000, 09:21 PM
kurtw
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dave

I have the upgrades you are speaking about fitted to my P1 so can talk from experience on all counts.

The Prodrive brakes are simply superb and the comments regading second hand values for the car with them fitted are true. I know someone who was offered £1000 less for his P1 by a dealer if the Prodrive brakes were removed. If you go for them, ensure that you get the latest spec kit with DS2000 pads. I've got DS3000 pads in mine and in 9000 miles, the disks are completely worn out and the wheels are wrecked. Happily, the whole lot is being changed under warranty next week.

I'm really happy with the P1 s/steel exhaust and the exhaust note is both purposeful yet refined. Prodrive also claim you get an extra 10ps from it.

I've got the 18" wheels fitted as well, and the reports that they do improve the ride quality are true. They also tighten up the steering on the car to the level that it should have been. The mudflaps you talk of are a piece of cake to fit and there's no need to get a dealer to fit them.

What a lot of people overlook when thinking of the upgrades are the second hand values of the parts that the dealer takes off the car.

Brakes = £350
Wheels = £1200
Exhaust= £100

Given the values of these, it makes the upgrades worth consideration. You also have the benefit that a P1 to near WR spec is likely to be more sought after when you come to flog it.

If you want to take a look at my motor, you're welcome. I'm in Milton Keynes. I also hope to be at Donnington on Saturday.

Regards
Kurt

[This message has been edited by kurtw (edited 26 December 2000).]
Old 26 December 2000, 10:26 PM
Dave25
Scooby Regular

Angry

I just typed a long reply but got my password wrong! Doh!

Basically, thanks to everyone for the knowledgeable advice - may take you up on the offer Kurt in the New Year, but won't be at Donington on Saturday ( Would like to do a trackday sometime but nervous as a complete newbie - need to get some driving tuition first )

Armourfend is a near invisible plastic coating and will cover the whole of the front spoiler, front of bonnet, side sills and doors / panels up to the crease and costs £700.

I use Zymol Wheel Cleaner from the Wax Wizard which is good but still requires a lot of scrubbing and very disheartening how quickly they get dirty again. Hope the Anthracite wheels improve the situation....

I think I will have the brakes, especially as I hadn't considered the money back from selling the originals. Love the look of them and the reviews are raving. A big thing for me is keeping everything in warranty so the Prodrive upgrades are the only contenders really.

Thanks again,

Dave.
Old 27 December 2000, 09:48 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dave,

Just a point - and if you didn't already know - Donnington is open to spectators as well - free to come in, park and watch - and if you fancy a ride and can find a willing host/driver for a tenner you can get yourself a Donnington braclet which allows you to passenger in any car (I believe) ..

If you can get over - its a blast - with loads of cars - P1's etc to look at.

All the best

Tom
Old 27 December 2000, 10:21 AM
RVeiga
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dave

On my p1 I got the:

P1 rear box = Better noise, not sure about the 10bps...(think about a full SS system).

AP Pot brakes = Kept the originals, for the same money as the prodrive 4 pots, complete kit (liquid, hosses, etc) and much better brakes...

...and some other bits and pieces like a SS downpipe,bumsteer mod, anti-lift kit ... just to free it up a bit more, drive how I want it.....

enjoy....

Have a look at the dyno, you will my results at powerstation (and other standard & non P1s).

Rob
Old 28 December 2000, 09:47 AM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Brakes work great but **** up the wheels and paint.
Get yourself some stonechip protection as the paintwork is pants. Get the back box so it sounds like it should.

[This message has been edited by ARRON BIRD (edited 28 December 2000).]
Old 30 December 2000, 04:09 PM
SteveH
Scooby Regular

Dave

What sort of a deal did you get. I've got a MY00 and as Santa didn't bring me a P1, I am thinking of doing the same as you ( only don't tell her indoors)

Cheers

Steve
Old 30 December 2000, 07:14 PM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

Cool

i was thinking of doing the same with MY00 as a local dealer has a P1 in their showroom.

know someone who got a v good deal on a P1

traded their MY99 for 18.5k against a P1 at 28k ??!!

steve