honda vs scooby reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2008, 12:53 PM
Rmonkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honda vs scooby reliability?

Hi guys,
Some advice please. I have a ctr thinking SERIOUSLY on trading for a scoob.
1) Taking into account tax, fuel bill,insurance cost,s. What do people recommend. I would like sti but if say wrx with ppp is going to provide able performance over my ctr would that be a balanced choice?

2)I am 31 yrs old with lots of no claims protected etc so insurance is going to fine for either. Would ppp on a wrx need declaration to insurance?

One other thing guys thats reliability. Obvously being a sensible type(most the time) my ctr apart from some warranty work which has tarneshed that buying experiance a great deal(it was brand new) its never needed anything or missed a beat. what,s general consesus on reliabilty between the 2.
Thanks alot for spending time reading this these points are always in my head at the mo. And for any replys.
Old 19 January 2008, 01:40 PM
burns
Scooby Regular

I totally adore my impreza but when it comes to reliability stick to Honda,both of my impreza's had to have new engines.
Old 19 January 2008, 01:52 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

I would recommend a WRX PPP and would say is a better allrounder than your CTR. It's less manic, a bit faster, and more secure in the wet with its 4WD.

In general, you can't beat Honda for reliability, but Imprezas aren't far behind. I've had no issues with mine in 2 1/2 years and there are many 100k milers with nothing but service parts needed, but if you go for a 2005 onwards model, there is a known fault with the rear shocks.

Yes, you will need to declare PPP, but use a company recommended on here (A-Plan or Keith Michaels) and it won't cost much more and is well worth it.

All IMHO, of course!!
Old 19 January 2008, 02:22 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

as above stick with honda for reliability but you will need ppp on a wrx as i can stay on the rear bumper of my bros wrx in my ctr
Old 19 January 2008, 02:39 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

went from a nhb 2006 premier ctr and never looked back. cars are worlds apart.
What i would do is buy the new 2008 wrx which is only group 16 insurance two groups lower than the ctr then add ppp when it comes out.
Old 19 January 2008, 03:26 PM
serpico
Scooby Regular

I have owned 2 ctrs & 2 scoobs. Both reliable. CTR maybe a bit better in the reliability especially if you start doing mods to increase the power. There can be drive train & engine probs with scoobs running big power but thats probably a problem with most modified cars.

Saying all that a lot of ctrs suffered the second & fifth gear prob but I guess that was more an annoying "characteristic" than a reliability problem. The crunching noise used to annoy me from time to time..

As standard IMO they are great cars. You wont be dissapointed. I moved over to my second scoob recently and I love it.
Old 19 January 2008, 03:33 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a well serviced(full service history) example from an enthusiast preferably standard, then if you are going to be messing with the ecu etc at all get it done by someone with a very good reputation, and i'm sure others will back me up and say that if you look after it, u shouldnt have any reliability issues.

Alan
Old 19 January 2008, 03:46 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by serpico

Saying all that a lot of ctrs suffered the second & fifth gear prob but I guess that was more an annoying "characteristic" than a reliability problem. The crunching noise used to annoy me from time to time..
hated the 2nd and fifth problem but they have moved the gearing problem onto the new shape(fn2 model) but at 3rd gear now plonkers lol.
Old 19 January 2008, 05:41 PM
Rmonkey
Scooby Regular

Thanks alot guys for replys.(im a poet and i don,t know it) ah ah ah.
Anyway keep the advice coming guys please its probably the biggest decision i will make as far as my ride goes. Buying brand new was quite a big decision but after paying it off dead quick 2 yrs thought it was alot of fuss over nothing. Its funny how much some of us worry when making such financial decisions about our motors. 9 times out of ten everything goes fine don,t it? Leaving us months later thinking what was i worried about.
But with the ctr my issues were creaky steering finally sorted after changing the steering rack, but not until 3 new suspension struts were fitted over the last 2/3 yrs never sorted it. The clutch makes a shreiking noise first few engagements in the morning they never heard it whenever i have taken it to the stealers. After 2000mls lost 1,3,5 gears needed new changer cable. its now 3 1/2 yrs old end the extended warranty runs out on 4th birthday. SO i have had enough. So much for honda reputation. I never seem to have much luck with my cars never had a fault free car. Maybe subaru can make a nice change to this. so rant over sorry to go on. I guess i just need as much reassurance i can get.

Last edited by Rmonkey; 19 January 2008 at 05:48 PM. Reason: addon
Old 19 January 2008, 05:44 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I had a Honda CTR from new-when they first came out.
It visited the dealer 3 times in the first year for warrantee work, nothing really serious but annoying. My 03sti is 5 years old this year and has gone in once for the very common rear shocker fix, that's it.

That's my experience anyway.

dipster
Old 19 January 2008, 06:57 PM
peterpeter
Scooby Regular

i would recommend getting an Sti..
I have heard that the engines are much stronger than the WRX and get far less problems (correct me if Im wrong though)
I ve had one for nearly 3 years from new and never had a problem

I had an Integra type r and the engine blew up. It bought from an official dealer with a Honda warranty.
Ok its probably rare for an Integra, but the way Honda UK handled my warranty claim was sickening.

They were the slipperiest ******* you ever could meet.
Trying to say that the car had no oil (which was bollocks as it had been topped up recently)...It was due to the idiot dealers who didnt tighten the cambelt properly after a change and it knackered a piston...
They even tried to say that I was 6 miles over the service intervals at 9006 on their record...
Oh the enjoyment of telling them that the dealer hadnt registered the extra service I had at 4500 miles exactly for an oil change. they checked it and had to eat their humble pie..finally apologized for treating me so badly and fixed it after about 3 months.

I will NEVER buy a honda again.
Old 19 January 2008, 07:00 PM
peterpeter
Scooby Regular

Just to add, I know the Integra is a great car an handles superbly but as an overall package, it was crap compare to my sti.

It is a serious performance car in a totally different league.
Plus once you feel the torque after coming from those vtec engines, you wont look back.
Old 19 January 2008, 07:41 PM
CTR54
Scooby Regular

wife has an o2 ctr so i get the pleasure of driving that and my scoob never had any probs at all with the ctr excellent to drive and very reliable but when i get back into mine i just scoob is so much better
Old 20 January 2008, 12:52 AM
Rmonkey
Scooby Regular

Thanks so much guys!
Keep it going. Very balanced so far on opinions!
Old 20 January 2008, 10:12 AM
Herbie.
Scooby Regular

For the power my car is running its well reliable.

Ive only had to replace a tired gearbox and the usual wear and tear items.
Old 20 January 2008, 10:40 AM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

My Boss had a Honda.

Top of the Range with all the bits on it.

Steering was dangerous.

Took it back under Warranty & as a previous answer on here, Slippery Masterbaters indeed!!!

Tried to point the finger at him for not doing this & that on his Car & tried to wriggle out of it by Nulling the Warranty etc.

A couple of weeks later he's on the Train on a Business trip to London.

Who does he end up sitting next to and chatting with???

A senoir Engineer from Honda in Swindon!!

Get around to talking about Cars in general & casually mentions steering stuff on his Model.

Out it comes!!!

Honda have a major problem with the rear/dual steering system & are trting to keep a lid on it.

Goes on to the Honda Owners Wenb page & gets tons of help from Honda Owners.

Takes all the details to the Honda Dealer & threatens them with the Press.

Guess what?

Problem fixed under Warranty, plus Gift Vouchers etc etc.

ANNNNNDDDDD HE WILL NEVER BUY A HONDA EVER AGAIN!!

SAYS THE ATTITUDE OF THE DEALERS WAS DISGRACEFUL THEY WERE TALKING TO HIM LIKE HE WAS A F*** WIT!!

He also can't understand why they did so well with Dealer Surveys??

Reckons all the Old Gits that Buy Hondas like to be abused by the dealers, reminds them of Boarding Schoool!

Regards

Alan MaC
Old 20 January 2008, 11:44 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

I had a CTR on an 03 plate for 3 years and moved to my current car, my STi on an 07 plate.

The cars are leagues apart.

I loved my CTR, amazing cars but the Impreza is just so much better, as mentioned you will definitely need the PPP on the WRX if you want a performance increase from your CTR. Handling wise the Impreza laughs in the face of a CTR, also 0-60 times and alike are a joke really, if you look at the in gear times the difference can be seen there. The brakes on a WRX will also be better than on a CTR and much, much better if you can get an Sti.

G
Old 20 January 2008, 11:45 AM
Rmonkey
Scooby Regular

Ah aH AH AH **** thats funny!
Ye after my experiance so far im not sure where the reliability rep has come from. Maybe its only associated to the engines. The rest of the car don,t count ah ah.
Old 20 January 2008, 11:57 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Well I can only speak from experience.

Have owned 4 Scoobs, first three were bombproof and then:

Who has the most unreliable Scoob?

In that time have also had two Hondas in the fold, both have never missed a beat and importantly feel better made than the Scoob.

Just about to buy another ITR to replace the above.
Old 20 January 2008, 11:40 PM
Rmonkey
Scooby Regular

BUMP
Old 21 January 2008, 12:21 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

2 Impreza Turbo's in 3 years without any mechanical issues whatsoever and the cars have been driven relativeley hard at times.

As above........you will need atleast PPP on the WRX or a car that has been remapped to feel a considerable performance increase over the CTR.
A better option is to get the STI and start with an extremely good base.
Old 21 January 2008, 02:54 PM
Rmonkey
Scooby Regular

Thanks again guys. Good to get some good advice from as many as possible.
Old 21 January 2008, 03:27 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Rmonkey
Hi guys,
Some advice please. I have a ctr thinking SERIOUSLY on trading for a scoob.
1) Taking into account tax, fuel bill,insurance cost,s. What do people recommend. I would like sti but if say wrx with ppp is going to provide able performance over my ctr would that be a balanced choice?

2)I am 31 yrs old with lots of no claims protected etc so insurance is going to fine for either. Would ppp on a wrx need declaration to insurance?

One other thing guys thats reliability. Obvously being a sensible type(most the time) my ctr apart from some warranty work which has tarneshed that buying experiance a great deal(it was brand new) its never needed anything or missed a beat. what,s general consesus on reliabilty between the 2.
Thanks alot for spending time reading this these points are always in my head at the mo. And for any replys.
1) Is comfort, refinement etc important to you, or is all out performance more imp? If the former is imp, get a WRX PPP, if not, get the STi, the later also provides a stronger basis for modding should you wish to in the future. WRX PPP will be demonstrably faster than your Hnda and will feel significantly quicker owing to the far superior torque. Ditto for STi, but that will feel quicker still owing to nature of power delivery. If you want the best performance and the Subaru warranty, go for an STi PPP

2) Yes, it MUST be declared! We can tell you about insurers that will acknowledge it and not charge you the earth!

As for reliability, they're pretty much bullet proof proving you get a UK one, with a FSH run on decent petrol. Get the car professionally inspected before buying, and you'll be laughing!

Ns04
Old 21 January 2008, 04:17 PM
Rmonkey
Scooby Regular

Are the service intervals the same on both. O ye and what are the intervals?
Old 21 January 2008, 10:43 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

I know on a Type UK STi its 10000 miles or 1 per year
Old 21 January 2008, 10:51 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

12k/1 year surely, my 03sti is anyway
Old 22 January 2008, 01:06 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Thats what I was quoted for MY07 STi by a few places that I've been too for work to be done.....

G