ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

neighbours/noise

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2008, 06:39 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default neighbours/noise

Anybody had problems with their neighbours and their cars. Reason being the last couple of days I have had to use my car to go to work on first shift (5.30am) when I got back this afternoon next door gave me a dressing down and threatened me with legal action because I have been waking him up(he's a vicar) the car has a full 3" miltek which is track/road legal. The issue is about the noise however my neighbour has said he doesn't care if the noise emissions are less than the legal limit or not, but that I shouldn't be using a car with that level of noise at such an early time of the morning. The arguement got out of hand and nothing was agreed - he just seems adament that I shouldn't use the car, before say 7.30 am! Does anyone know if he has a leg to stand on - especially any of you uniformed lot out there!! Help would be appreciated as I don't think he's going to shut up about this (he is just a control freak)
Old 18 January 2008, 06:42 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suggest you make enquiries with your local council they normally have a noise pollution team who can probably tell you waht the situation is.

Originally Posted by gussy
Anybody had problems with their neighbours and their cars. Reason being the last couple of days I have had to use my car to go to work on first shift (5.30am) when I got back this afternoon next door gave me a dressing down and threatened me with legal action because I have been waking him up(he's a vicar) the car has a full 3" miltek which is track/road legal. The issue is about the noise however my neighbour has said he doesn't care if the noise emissions are less than the legal limit or not, but that I shouldn't be using a car with that level of noise at such an early time of the morning. The arguement got out of hand and nothing was agreed - he just seems adament that I shouldn't use the car, before say 7.30 am! Does anyone know if he has a leg to stand on - especially any of you uniformed lot out there!! Help would be appreciated as I don't think he's going to shut up about this (he is just a control freak)
Old 18 January 2008, 06:42 PM
amego
Scooby Regular

nothing legal on you you could ask him for a lift instead
Old 18 January 2008, 06:48 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know I thought you could not honk your horn between 11.00pm and 7.00am as for you going to work at 5.30am it isn't a problem me thinks as long as you are not driving off honking your horn, Otherwise in leymans terms he is saying no car is allowed to go past his home any time before 5.30am or work earlier than 7.30am . I might be wrong on this but I'm sure if I am someone will correct me with the right info tell him to go read the good book or something.
Old 18 January 2008, 07:09 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gussy
(he's a vicar)
tell him he wakes you up on a sunday morning when he goes to work

i thought all church people fogave others for their sins? maybe he's been caught with 1 of the choirboys and was in a bad mood
Old 18 January 2008, 07:12 PM
The Fresh Prince
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by robby
tell him he wakes you up on a sunday morning when he goes to work

i thought all church people fogave others for their sins? maybe he's been caught with 1 of the choirboys and was in a bad mood

Drill a hole in his exhaust then say "now who makes all the noise?"
Old 18 January 2008, 07:15 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Depends on your area mate, I leave at 6:30 am sometimes and I usually put the bung into the exhaust. From chatting to my neighbours (all like my car minus one grumpy bugger) there was some old agreement about not making any noise prior to 7:30 am.

One of my neighbours has a TVR which makes my Blitz Nur Spec sound like a pea shooter and he leaves around the same time, not had any complaints I think.

Best thing to do is start your car up and go in the house and see if you can hear/feel it. I did the same for my Blitz, standing next to the car didn't sound so bad, when I went across the street facing the exhaust, I actually thought we were having a mini earthquake lol

If you have a bung stick it in, end of the day we have to compromise a little
Old 18 January 2008, 07:18 PM
ozzreid1964
Scooby Regular

tell him you're only day off is sundays and his f####ng bells wake you up
Old 18 January 2008, 07:23 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

fit anti lag
tell him it was a prezzie on christs birthday

budgie
Old 18 January 2008, 07:26 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a bung made up. Circa £40. Fit it and remove it when you get to work.

Or complain to his 'Bishop' (I think they are the area managers???).

Or, have a party one saturday and we'll all come round and leave our turbo timers on.
Old 18 January 2008, 07:29 PM
scooby_will
Scooby Regular

he cant say a thing, i used to have an exhaust on my mazda which was soo loud it used to shake things (did sound nice though) and i used to leave at 5.30am, my neighbours are w**kers and have a grumble every now and then but i then remind them that they wake my parents up with there kids shouting all day when my parents are on nights so they dont do anything about it. Tell him to wear earplugs then he wont hear you, its up to you if you want to drive your car at whatever time in the morning, ok if you was revving it then that would be different but obviously your not so tell him to find out if its illegal and he will come back red faced.

Last edited by scooby_will; 18 January 2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: incorrect spelling
Old 18 January 2008, 07:39 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by amego
nothing legal on you you could ask him for a lift instead
car share
Old 18 January 2008, 07:46 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

LOL,
A Vicar, shouldnt he be a bit more christian and understanding, typical hypocritcal church squad.

You could ask him to limit the noise his bells make on a Saturday/Sunday and ask the noise ababment unit to take a reading from them.

As long as it is legal and there are no other noise restrictions in place then he can go whistle.

Next time tell him you leave so early so you can get to worship with your fellow devil worshipers and that satan himself sold you that exhaust to wake the god squad up!
Old 18 January 2008, 08:06 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PMSL Paul Welcome back

No one complains about my car noise round here. If I ever take the car to work, I leave at 6.45am and nothing has ever been said.
Old 18 January 2008, 08:29 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

PC noise warning, isn't the truth that any modification too, or replacement of the E-marked and approved exhaust system fitted by the manufacturers is strictly illegal ?

Doesn't mean I agree with it tho' (Full catted TSL system myself !)

DunxC

P.S. Mines quiet outside, but in the integral garage.... everything shakes even the dog....

Last edited by dunx; 18 January 2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 18 January 2008, 08:29 PM
Alan MaC
Scooby Regular

Bet if the Vicar was awoken @ 4.30 am by the Local Mosque calling Worshipers to prayer by Load Speaker, he be Christian in his understanding of other faiths.

Alan MaC
Old 18 January 2008, 08:33 PM
minty
Scooby Regular

Some classic comments guys

as far as i am aware it is only the no horn before 7am or after 11 that is the law.

he must be a light sleeper - nervous disposition, riddled with guilt

i guess none of the other neighbours have complained, is it not that loud that it will wake the dead?
Old 18 January 2008, 08:45 PM
hrness
Scooby Regular

leave at 5 45, have one neighbour who walks his dog, and comes back as i leave cos he loves the sound of my car, neighbours all say they have no prob with it i leave it running for maybe 2 mins then gently pull away down my road, no complaints, only people saying they like the sound, think mine is only 98db though.
Old 18 January 2008, 08:53 PM
roscop
Scooby Regular

I get hassle too, my neighbour has been a **** with me, he said that my car is too loud and that i should turn it off sooner.my reply....I'll turn it off at the end of the street if you come out and give me a push. That didnt go down well and he stormed off, not another word said.
Old 18 January 2008, 09:00 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Tell him you are sick of listening to babies crying on Sunday mornings as he tries to drown them .
Cheeky ****** .
Amen .!!!
Old 18 January 2008, 09:02 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Just because he is a Christian, why is he absolved of the right to get rightly angry about the sound of car waking him up before he needs to wake up?

I too have a similar Miltek system and though neighbours don't complain, one makes 'comments' on how loud it is.

I'm not saying I'm going to change the exhaust for their benefit, but I do try to be sympathetic by not screaming up the road to my house and reverse the car into the drive without blipping the throttle.

In summary, it does 'sound' like he is being a bit unreasonable, but try and see it from his side.
Old 18 January 2008, 09:08 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

my ex next door neighbour was an absolute arsehole he never slept due to his drug problem. he used to keep me up all nite hammering and banging and doin everything noisy.but every time i started my car up no matter what time of day it was he was on the phone reporting me to the enviroment agency.so i decided to go round one nite and kick the **** out of him, spent 15 hours in the cop shop but it worked a treet.dont think it would be a good idea with the vicker though.
Old 18 January 2008, 09:14 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

What difference is it to bells playing mid day? People do work shifts.
Old 18 January 2008, 09:37 PM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for your comments some of them are classics I seemed to have resolved the problem for now going to car share.my mates doing firsts and Im gonna do backs and I will get a bung for now,if that doesn't work his lord might have an unexpected entry at the pearly gates
Old 18 January 2008, 09:38 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Probably the guy only wanted to tell you about the problem, so as long as you didn't call him a **** and tell him to **** off honour will have been satisfied. If you explain your predicament re only means of transport and shift pattern he will have a "road to damascus" moment and it will all be cool again.
Best not to fall out with neighbours terminally!
Old 18 January 2008, 09:40 PM
Baker
Scooby Regular

I appreciate he might be annoyed but its something you have to do, you cant stop going to work.

I have a neighbour who drives a medium size lorry, he leaves for work about 2 am every morning during weekdays and warms the lorry up for a minute or two. I wouldn't dream of complaining as what other choice does he have?
Old 18 January 2008, 09:42 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

i'm afraid dunx is right, it is illegal to change your exhaust unless its like for like, if your making less noise then legally aloud its still not the same amount the car is supposed to make, there was a thread about exhausts not long back me thinks , don't get me wrong i like all the suggestions above but i'd get a bung mate don't want you having to change your exhaust
Old 18 January 2008, 11:50 PM
flashgordon666
Scooby Regular

on my primera i fitted a twin 3.5" carbon exhust and that was real loud sound like a tvr, got pulled for speeding and he said they could test it and if its over a db you have to bung it up or remove it. think the max db you can have is 120. (think a lawn mower db is 100) also think its illegal for a garage to fit a exhust if its over that db too. ive got a celica now with with 3" and my mum can hear my on the duel carraige way from home lol.

Last edited by flashgordon666; 19 January 2008 at 12:15 AM.
Old 19 January 2008, 12:04 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I had never driven my car in ages and I had the neighbours out making a scene I just laughed at them but it made them more angry I now don't leave my car on tickover anymore and I pull in the street slowy or anywhere near my street Just to keep the peace

I actually took mine to an exhaust place and they tested the car for me so if it was underthe legal DCb limit I wouldn't have to worry , unfortunately for my car launch control cuts in at 5k rpm then all hell breaks loose and its well over the legal limit

Last edited by stevebt; 19 January 2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old 19 January 2008, 12:09 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by njkmrs
Tell him you are sick of listening to babies crying on Sunday mornings as he tries to drown them .
Cheeky ****** .
Amen .!!!
drown ****

aint that the truth