Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

taking a scooby to the USA.

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2002, 05:46 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just posted this thread on the i-club board.

Please read and post either here or there.

Basically, I can, if I wish, move to the USA for a while (aprox 18 months) to work (excepting visa problems et all), but I'm wondering about the blackbeast. don't really want to sell it, have too much invested in it so will never get decent price for it, plus I'd like to have it when I come back, and love to have it over in usa, would be way more unique over there.

so, what to do?
Old 18 January 2002, 05:50 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

it would not pass the test (emmission)
Old 18 January 2002, 05:51 PM
bits'n'pieces
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Don't believe it will pass the strict us emission laws, they tend to depend on the State the car is registered in as well.. You can't just stick on a GB sticker and hope for the best !
On the plus side for about $40 a year you could have your own personal number plate such as SUBARU or something more stylish !!
You'll also have to apply for State ID which once got you can then take the US driving test ( which is a piece of ****!! )
Old 18 January 2002, 05:57 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

thanks guys.

did kinda wonder about emissions, as i know the USA is a bit funny. plus it being decatted won't help.

Old 19 January 2002, 01:01 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Cool

Don't sell the beast, Store it and when you come back, it will be waiting for you. Or don't go at all

Cheers,

Wrexy
Old 19 January 2002, 06:15 AM
Mike M
Scooby Regular

Markus, I know you posted this on a couple of the US boards, but for whatever reason I felt compelled to respond over here...

Basically, I think you're out of luck bringing the Beast. The twelve-month exemption that someone mentioned elsewhere is (I believe) only for manufacturers. It's intended for them to bring in cars that they don't sell here for press use, car shows, etc. Subaru did it a few years ago with a 22b, to get the press talking about their cars and possibly drum up support for bringing the WRX. The reason I think that it's only for manufacturers is that otherwise, it seems there would be foreign dignitaries, embassy staff, etc, bringing non-US cars here for personal use, and I'm not aware of that happening.

The two big hurdles you face are crash-testing and emissions. You might get around the crash-testing by proving that a UK spec Impreza is substantially similar to a US spec car (if it indeed is), but the emissions would be another story altogether. The EPA would make the car pass their test before it could be allowed off the docks, and I don't think you'd make it. Ironically, the state of Illinois has no emissions testing outside of Chicago. I've lived in downstate Illinois my entire life, and I've never had to have a car tested. But, that notwithstanding, those pesky Feds most likely wouldn't like the Beast.

I think you're best off to leave it in the care of your brother. Come over here and sample something that you might not ever drive over there, whether for lack of availability, fuel costs, or whatever. Contrary to some opinions that I've seen, we do get a few fun cars here in the States!

Sorry for the long-winded response, but I hope it helps. BTW, if you do end up over here for 18 months or so, we'll definitely have to get together and have a pint. I'm less than 2 hours north of St. Louis, so maybe on a weekend.

Mike
Old 19 January 2002, 06:38 AM
Little Miss WRX

Talking

Mike M for that response I expect at least two hours in the Muppet Forum.

Though I do back up what you say.

Markus, get someone to look after her over here if you can