Sponsored by:

Argument with Insurance renewal

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2002, 09:27 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Last night I went to renew my wifes car insurance...

It is a 1.4 Corsa so I am always happy to sort it as the premium is like a 5th of my Scoobys..

The renewal sent through the post from a large insurance and breakdown recovery firm was reasonable.
I did as usual and went to their website printed on the top of the renewal letter and filled in the details.
This is handy as I can change stuff like the exess and play around to get the policy I want.
I sort all that and get a quote for £50 less than the renewal letter including a 5% discount for doing it on-line.
So I go through the process and speak to someone there on the phone who basically says that I cannot have this policy as it is for "New Business only"??? and that I have to take the £50 more expensive policy...
So to cut a long story short (too long already) I told them where to stick it and am taking my business elsewhere.
Did have both cars and the house insured with them last year which was over £2000 of premiums plus the breakdown recovery..

Anyone else had similar problems or am I missing something..

I would have thought they would be keen to keep customers they already have and why put the website address on the renewal letter if I cannot use it..

Annoyed...

Old 17 January 2002, 09:38 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

I might be wrong but I suspect what they're trying to do is illegal discrimatory pricing - any lawyers out there to give a steer?

I'd be tempted to get onto customer service and tell them it's illegal anyway to see where you get to......then move your business elsewhere.

good luck

Gordo
Old 17 January 2002, 09:40 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Angry

Annoyed. I'm still seething.

As a Halifax employee I took up a discounted scheme with them for my MY00 turbo. £500 per year fully comp. The policy actually underwritten by Churchill. No extra charge when I changed to MY01 5 door WRX (ie std UK model) in August.

Since then underwriting has been switched from Churchill to another member of the group Esure.

Come renewal in November, letter from Esure politely telling me to get lost. (You will have seen their ads indicating they don't insure *********). I queried this internally as a staff member and was told that even as staff under no circumstances would/could they insure a grey import WRX.

I pointed out their **** from their elbow and lost interest.

In my experience these peopl are very poor pancake chefs.

I am now insured with the NFU mutual.

[Edited by BarryK - 1/17/2002 9:41:25 AM]
Old 17 January 2002, 09:45 AM
MW1
Scooby Regular

I had the same thing but I insisted that I got the cheaper on line policy and they eventually agreed but I had to cancel the existing policy and start a new one. I also had to process everything over the web, get a ref number and then goto the customer service department. A lot of bother but it saved me about £100. The next year they tightened their web site up so it recognised reg numbers of existing policy holders and wouldnt let you go any further so all I did was leave the reg number blank so i could get the cheaper quote.

[Edited by MW1 - 1/17/2002 9:47:00 AM]
Old 17 January 2002, 09:47 AM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

Give tesco insurance a call or do online
Old 17 January 2002, 09:50 AM
EvoRSX
Scooby Regular

Angry

After much fun and games with my insurance for my Evo in Novemeber I can only pass on a similar story.
My renewal letter came through and they (NU) wanted a nice big fat £2800 !!!!!!!
After phoning around a few other places I got a quote for £1400 and so went back to NU to see what they said.
They wouldn't move on the original quote and so I asked them if they just relied on people sending off the premiums without phoning around and was this how they made their money? I got no response from the person on the end of the phone and so they lost my business.

It seems that this is the way some insurance companies work. They allow you a nice big introductory discount and then proceed to charge you a fortune when it comes to renewal time in the hope that you'll just sign the form and send it off.

Seems a strange way of working if you ask me....

Andy
Old 17 January 2002, 09:55 AM
devils_ad69
Scooby Regular

Angry

Don't get me started about companies who only use such introductory offers for 'new customers'.

My sister had her mortgage with Abbey for 14 years and they simply refused to give he the same deal as someone who walked in off the street.

Absolute bollo*!
Old 17 January 2002, 09:58 AM
Fulham71
Scooby Regular

IF ISNURANCE IS IN YOUR PARTNERS NAME CALL DIAMOND !
Old 17 January 2002, 10:10 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Red face

Well I have sorted the insurance last ngiht with Elephant for less than the other companies online quote..

I have written an email complaining and have filed it and will send it on Monday once I have calmed down a bit.. so I can make sure I am not over the top as I still have policies with them.

No where on the website does it say anything about new business and all the rest of it... annoying...

I dread to think what my Scooby renewal will be with them next month... thankfully I have a quote £250 cheaper than there website is quoting for it at the moment.

Last year they were as nice as pie and I transferred the house and my car to them (wife's cars have been insured with them for the past 7years). I think they are getting to big for there own good...

I shall now be sticking my fingers up at yellow vans rather than waving

{Editied} because I cannot typooop!

[Edited by Jolly Green Monster 2 - 1/17/2002 10:12:12 AM]