Sponsored by:

People selling stuff on SN.

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2007, 08:01 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default People selling stuff on SN.

After so many recent stories of people being scammed by other SN members,isn't it about time something was done about it ?

Maybe only allowing subscribing members to post up items for sale ?
Old 30 December 2007, 08:04 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

I dont know if subscribing divides the honest fromthe dishonest, but something needs to be done. Some people would screw over their own mother for a few quid.
Old 30 December 2007, 08:07 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mylesthegreat(not!)
I dont know if subscribing divides the honest fromthe dishonest, but something needs to be done. Some people would screw over their own mother for a few quid.
But it would be easier for the mods to trace subscribing members would it not ?
Old 30 December 2007, 08:09 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Tis indeed true. Someone needs to grab a hold of one of these guys and dish out a little street justice(!), and hopefully others will think twice. A posse from the local area would suffice.
Old 30 December 2007, 08:21 PM
rcwhite
Scooby Regular

could we not just not have a sub section of all good transactions made just saying all went to plan item was brought item was paid for item was delivered buy and sellers forum user name... i know its not fool proof but hey?????
Old 30 December 2007, 08:30 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rcwhite
could we not just not have a sub section of all good transactions made just saying all went to plan item was brought item was paid for item was delivered buy and sellers forum user name... i know its not fool proof but hey?????
That's a start but still wouldn't stop people from just signing up and advertising stuff they haven't even got.

I think the new owners of the site should come up with something pretty quick to try and stop more people from being scammed.
Old 30 December 2007, 09:08 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You buy from e-bay, the AutoTrader, local paper, card in the window ..... you should apply the same rules to buying off SN.

There are, of course, members who are so well known that they simply couldn't/wouldn't scam anyone ...... but use your common sense in all transactions.

Trending Topics

Old 30 December 2007, 09:14 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
You buy from e-bay, the AutoTrader, local paper, card in the window ..... you should apply the same rules to buying off SN.

There are, of course, members who are so well known that they simply couldn't/wouldn't scam anyone ...... but use your common sense in all transactions.
Yes but the main point being that it's getting increasingly common for people to scam other members on here that can't be traced when it turns out to be a scam !
Old 30 December 2007, 09:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

With respect, thats not the main point ......... scams happen all over, people should not lower their guard just because a seller posts a few posts on here.
Old 30 December 2007, 09:31 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
With respect, thats not the main point ......... scams happen all over, people should not lower their guard just because a seller posts a few posts on here.
No,it is the main point that I was trying to make though. It's just too easy to rip people off on here and seemingly be untraceable.

Something needs to be done on here to safeguard buyers,whatever that maybe !
Old 30 December 2007, 09:35 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

This is the buyer's problem, not the site's. For instance: want to buy something? Then get the seller's name, address, and land-line number. If you're not sure, call the land-line. Check the name and address through something like 192.com. Etc. But don't expect the site to hold your hand.

I can only say that the few things I've bought here have worked out just fine.

M
Old 30 December 2007, 09:37 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A case in point being;

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...eek-old-2.html

And yet people stick up for her, instead of giving her a big kick up the ****.
Old 30 December 2007, 09:51 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
A case in point being;

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...eek-old-2.html

And yet people stick up for her, instead of giving her a big kick up the ****.
Having just read that thread I cannot belive the amount of people who know her and have put their own reputations on the line to say she is a good honest person etc, so why has she not sent the guy his item?
I notice he has been contacted by her but he says little more, but 2 month after buying it it discustiing.

If people claim to be friends of this person they should at least find out why this has happened.

No matter what system is in place people will always fiund a way around it to scam & con people all you cn try to do is be vigilant, keep all correspondance & preferably visit to collect the item, failing that send payment using a cheque sent by recoded delivery to the address where they live so it has a proper recorded paper trail - i.e. deliverd address, signed for by X, cashed into Y account, if the item does not them arrive within a resonable time and your cannot get in contact with said person use the other options i.e police, personal visit etc to recoup your loss & remove them from doing it again.

Sleep well.
Old 30 December 2007, 09:52 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

I dont think subscribing members should only be able to advertise as i have been on here for years and have not ever joined by paying them.

I have however helped a few ppl out by giving them stuff i have lying around and even paid the postage sometimes(well my work has paid it,lol)

I do however beleive if you want to sell stuff on a regular basis you should have to register some sort of checkable details or even a feedback sysyem.

Pete is also right in saying that it happens everywhere and its up to the seller to be 100% sure.

Mac
Old 30 December 2007, 10:05 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 340BHP-WRX
But it would be easier for the mods to trace subscribing members would it not ?
It may. But if they used those details for anything other than site admin or passed them onto someone, then they'd be in trouble under the Data Protection Act. Infact, quite possably alot more if said person started getting hassle or attacked.

Bit unfair to put them in that position really.
Old 30 December 2007, 10:49 PM
mirrorman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Odds on
It may. But if they used those details for anything other than site admin or passed them onto someone, then they'd be in trouble under the Data Protection Act. Infact, quite possably alot more if said person started getting hassle or attacked.

Bit unfair to put them in that position really.

was gonna say that about the data protection act, i think its not so much down the the site but more the buyer, I rekon all users that want to sell or buy shoud have a verified paypal account, that way all transaction can be controlled by paypal,

BUT

I dont think people would stick to "NO PayPal No Trade"
Old 30 December 2007, 11:13 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Make a name and shame post, start listing all the scammers on there, that way people will learn to avoid them
Old 30 December 2007, 11:56 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 340BHP-WRX
After so many recent stories of people being scammed by other SN members,isn't it about time something was done about it ?

Maybe only allowing subscribing members to post up items for sale ?
Traditionally nothing has ever been done about this, even though the tools are available (for VB). Now that we have the oft-abused infraction system I doubt that anyone will even criticise the lack of action...
Old 31 December 2007, 12:03 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I have found on here and many other forums, that it is essentially buyer beware, and that the owners state that any sales are nothing to do with them and they are only providing a medium to allow adverts to take place for free

Now I guess as things currently are the only thing that the owners could potentially do is supply IP / Email address details etc (or even full name and address if plus members ) to the relevant authorities if required where potential offences have been commited

What could be done is some kind of new forum in the for sale section purely for leaving feedback for another member, or somekind of points system (like Ebay's feedback) so it may help you decide whether to make a trade with certain members on here

Edited to add, maybe a new infraction option should be added for selling
Old 31 December 2007, 11:08 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

It's a difficult one and preventing only subscribers posting is not going to stop some.

I posted a thread recently asking some advice about a PSP, I had two pms offering to buy it if I wished to sell. I decided to part with it and gave the first pm the option, who took it up. He paypaled me the money that day, and i posted it that afternoon. the next morning he pm'd me to say he had received it.

That member did not post on the original thread so there is no trail apart from my message box. It was all based on trust between two honest people.
Old 31 December 2007, 11:30 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Yep you have to be careful when selling stuff. I managed to sell my 17" STi Alloys via this forum to someone quite local to me (Andy S) but only via the 'Wanted' forum. We both had the common sense to give each other home and mobile telephone numbers and kept in touch until the deal was made. I know this is something that normally cannot be done (Sell to someone local to where you live), but with common sense with passing the details out first etc... At least you have some sort of leg to stand on.
Old 31 December 2007, 11:38 AM
Smiler-Wrx
Scooby Regular

This info is from my old car forum

** WAYS To Prevent getting ripped off. **
Do not buy from new users.
Do not buy from users with just a few posts.
Do not buy from someone without going back and reading some of there previous sales or feedbacks. Ask for proof of good feedback from the forum.

Get all details , phone number , name & address , confirm it. Call them or have them call you. Get an email from them.

Ask for any sort of credentials. Links to an ebay account for feedback. Verify the same email address.

After you buy from a user.
Go back to there thread , give a detail of the transaction. If its a Good , neutral or Bad Experience.
Old 31 December 2007, 12:47 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

These are the rules of another forum I go on

And probably similar to SN's for sale section policy too I guess

Forums share NO affiliation with the merchants posting equipment for sale or trade in this forum. This space is provided solely for the convenience of the users of this Forum.

This Forum will not be held liable for any misrepresentation, or fraud posted on this forum.

What this means in plain text is that:
Forum does not verify buyer's/seller's credibility, honesty or intentions
Forum does not reply to any queries about buyers/sellers, or help in case you have trouble. We do not give away any member information.

Forum does not solve any problems in transactions.
We take no part whatsoever in transactions, guarantees, payments, refunds, deliveries or returns
In even simpler terms:
You post an ad here. Forum's part in your business ends there.

By posting in the Marketplace forum you agree to all of above. Also, by posting in the Marketplace forum you agree that you remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to hold harmless and indemnify the owners of the Forum with respect to any claim based upon any transaction that you undertake with other members of this forum.
Old 31 December 2007, 01:26 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

I don't think it really is possible to stop scamming anywhere .... but things can be done to help it!

I was gonna buy that N95 aswell! Glad i didn't as it would of been three strikes for me in a month! Dunno , maybe im just stupid or unlucky

The Supra forum does have a seller feedback rating , which mayhelp??
Old 31 December 2007, 01:28 PM
cdfracing
Scooby Regular

Would it hurt to have the sellers I.p address under there username?
Old 31 December 2007, 01:35 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Smiler-Wrx
This info is from my old car forum

** WAYS To Prevent getting ripped off. **
Do not buy from new users.
Do not buy from users with just a few posts.
Do not buy from someone without going back and reading some of there previous sales or feedbacks. Ask for proof of good feedback from the forum.

Get all details , phone number , name & address , confirm it. Call them or have them call you. Get an email from them.

Ask for any sort of credentials. Links to an ebay account for feedback. Verify the same email address.

After you buy from a user.
Go back to there thread , give a detail of the transaction. If its a Good , neutral or Bad Experience.
Agree with the above, bit of common sense and more importantly caution before dealing with anyone.

It takes experience to sniff out the scammers but there are few good ones (I got done in the past and vowed never to be caught short again). I always make a habit of reading a users previous posts (click on their name, select Find Other Posts...), this gives me an insight into what type of person I am dealing with and what others think.

I always try to get the other persons details and as the few members on SN who have delt with me will know, I offer my contact details as a gesture of goodwill and to gauge if the other person is being co-operative.

The other problem is that most people (me included) will assume because its Scoobynet and the person you are dealing with is a member, they must have a good will, unfortunately this is not the case lately (a few short minded folks think it's okay to scam someone, it's their gain and the other person's loss).

Try to arrange a meet up, even if your not going to do so; At least gives you an idea if the person is genuine or not or if they are trying to avoid contact (lack of contact details, unwilling to meet up for collection etc).

Having a buyer and seller rating is a good idea. I have seen this done on an IT related forum and it worked great by the end of the year it was introduced. The coders will need tie it into the For Sale forum in some way, maybe record a transaction number when a user creates a for sale post and then use this number to associate a buyer/seller rating against the person.

A simple buy/sell count like you get on eBay would do. Would definitely improve the whole experience and like fleabay, would allow the genuine and regular sellers (and buyers) to earn a good reputation.

Food for thought..

Happy new year!