Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

http://board.performanceforums.com/f...&threadid=3852
Old 16 January 2002, 04:40 PM
Steve3drRS
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

It would never of happened if they had their lights on, the fools, and who on earth would race with their lights off? not me.

Ive had 6 friends die (5 in road accidents, 1 stabbed to death) so far, NONE of the car accidents were from racing people. One of them was when i driving one day and lorry carrered into the side of the car, killing my friend.

If u do things (like racing in built up areas, flying round blind corners, goin fast where its busy, or driving at 200+km/h with your lights off), then u bloody stupid.

But one thing i have learnt is you generally will die unexpectedly, and quite possibly when u still young, so it would be a waste of your life to not take some risks, and have fun, (just dont do stuff that is wildly silly- like the things i mentioned above)

Steve
Old 16 January 2002, 05:19 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

ignore me, I'm an idiot I didn't follow the link before I posted

[Edited by NotoriousREV - 1/16/2002 5:20:27 PM]
Old 16 January 2002, 05:31 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Steve3dRS, you can take all the risks you like as far as I'm concerned.

Just don't do it when there are innocent people like pedestrians around.

I'd much prefer my nemesis to be me and not some knobber in a road race.

[Edited by DavidBrown - 1/16/2002 5:33:48 PM]
Old 16 January 2002, 05:36 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

agree with Dave...its up to me if I wanna smear myself all over the road - dont want some little **** to do it for me...
Old 16 January 2002, 05:48 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Yep, Steve, you are a strange bloke.......

What were they thinking? Absolute bloody madness! Stupid enough with the lights on, let alone off

Nick.

Old 16 January 2002, 05:53 PM
Steve3drRS
Scooby Regular

Angry

THATS WHY I SAID DONT TAKE ANY BIG RISKS!
DID YOU LOT EVEN READ MY POST??????

YOU LOT ARE ALWAYS GOING ON ABOUT TEARING ROUND THE "TWISTIES"- THATS BLOODY DANGEROUS.

I HAVE NO POINTS ON MY LICENCE AND HAVE NEVER CRASHED A CAR IN MY LIFE (been hit afew times tho), THERS 2 POSTS IN THE LAST CUPLA HOURS OF PEOPLE STACKING (or nearly) CARS! DONT KICK OFF AT ME, IM NOT LIKE THAT (i can drive, too).

READ MY POST AGAIN, ESP THE BIT WHEN I SAID WHAT PEOPLE DO THAT IS STUPID, ANYTHING THAT IS LEFT IS WHAT 99% OF YOU DO (all but the sandle wearers that was mentioned on another post).

YALL IN SUCH A HURRY TO FLAME MY *** YOU DONT EVEN GET THE POINT I WAS TRYING TO PUT ACROSS.......
Old 16 January 2002, 05:56 PM
Steve3drRS
Scooby Regular

Angry

I SAID IM MY FIRST POST---------

"If u do things (like racing in built up areas, flying round blind corners, goin fast where its busy, or driving at 200+km/h with your lights off), then u bloody stupid."

U LOT BLIND, OR JUST STUPID?

Old 16 January 2002, 06:04 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Angry

Must be the onset of senile dementia! Does it say they were driving without lights, someone stepped in front of them and bang!

Lights on or off the result would be the same. They'd just be aware they managed to kill their mate and ruined the lives of his friends and family before he did the same to his!

"one thing i have learnt is you generally will die unexpectedly, and quite possibly when u still young, so it would be a waste of your life to not take some risks"

Steve, With logic like that I have to agree with Footlong's asessment.......... you are a strange bloke

Old 16 January 2002, 06:09 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

"If u do things (like racing in built up areas, flying round blind corners, goin fast where its busy, or driving at 200+km/h with your lights off), then u bloody stupid."

U LOT BLIND, OR JUST STUPID?
Neither. Any form of road racing is bloody stupid, not just those round blind corners or in built up areas.

That's my point.
Old 16 January 2002, 06:09 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Wink

Enough with the strange bloke bit, I think he's about to go 'Thermo'!

Nick.

Why oh why can't I just type 1 sontance withuot a tupo???

[Edited by Mr Footlong - 1/16/2002 6:11:14 PM]
Old 16 January 2002, 06:18 PM
banshi
Scooby Regular

In case I'm about to be classified as Middle aged Middle class undersexed bore, with a standard spec UK car.

I'd better nip out and buy one, then on the way back I can borrow Chuck's sandles from that other thread.
Old 16 January 2002, 06:32 PM
Steve3drRS
Scooby Regular

It says on the post that is was completley clear for miles, in the middle of nowhere- the bloke stepped out because he couldnt see them, he wouldve if they had lights on, it says that in the post.

The risk taking bit was aimed at the "shouldnt ever speed, ever" sandle wearers mentioned on another post, not everybody.

The average performance car driver takes the same risks as me, ie- very few, but does break speed limit sometimes, and has raced other cars at times, i was jus sayin if you dont ever take any risks, n do exactly what the bible says, then you will lead a very unfulfilled life...

Im getting sooooo mis-understood. I shouldnt of posted at all...

Old 16 January 2002, 07:31 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Steve,

Calm down man. Don't lose your rag just because other people don't read your post properly or because they disagree with you.

To be honest I can see where your coming from. Life is all about juggling the likelihood of an event occuring because of something we choose to do. Some people make different risk assessments that's all.

If you follow some of the above logic to the ultimate conclusion no one would go anywhere by car. Fact - if someone runs across a motorway and get hits by a car doing 50mph they are more than likely going to be dead. Do you therefore drive at less than 50 on a motorway - no because the probability of the above happening is virtually nil. But it could happen (to quote Magnolia).

You take the view that a little bit of road racing in a location that you deem to be suitable is OK as the risk of something going wrong as far as you are concerned is low enough to justify the action. They don't Leave it at that.

Anyway if there are many people on here who haven't had a bit of fun on the public roads in their time then I'd be surprised despite what they say.

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 16 January 2002, 07:51 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Yeah,

Keep it on the track peebs. There`s nuff acidents w8ing 2 happen without this kinda crap [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Can`t figure why he pulled out in front of them though (Duh).
I`m sure it`s the last think any1 would do (pull out perpendicular to the path of 3 racing vehicles) IMHO it was that 1 guys stupidity that cost them their lives Why didn`t he jus delay the oncomming? This will never be answered i suppose.
Poor gets.
Old 16 January 2002, 08:05 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Blowdog mate

Just remind me - are you still moderating the Muppet Forum, or not????
Old 16 January 2002, 08:17 PM
cryptwalk
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

That is horific, very very saddening.
Old 16 January 2002, 08:53 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Hmm, this is an interesting thread. We are all into performance cars and one of the pre requsits if them is watching them and driving them fast.
I will admit to stepping out in front of racing cars to warn of police, the only difference between that and this situation is that the lights were on and I lived to tell the tale.
I think what steve is trying to say is that we are all risk takers to varying degrees. to what degree depends on personal opinion. Like Steve said, you lot all go on about the twisties but I prefer straght line acceleration cos I have a tail happy car. I'm not a top end merchant, I cant remember the last time I got over a ton on the roads, but give me a wet carpark and I'll be the first on it donutting like a madman.
Its a risk I'm prepared to take with myself, my car and the police cos I believe they are outweighed by the enormous FUN in doing such a thing.
To some people its acceptable, others its too much of a risk, for some even thats not enough and they want more, but I refuse to go any further cos I have limits and I stick to them.
Everyone of us is a player to a varying degree. these people who died, whilst very sad to hear, and a great loss to their families were doing this because they loved it. nobody was putting a gun to their heads. I might think differently if I was involved, or if it was one of my mates on a slab, but thats all a part of life. I personally prefer to live it.
Dont flame me for this next bit, but this is how I feel.
I would rather, given the choice, die doing something I loved and wanted to do than die of a horrible disease, or get my brains blown out in a war.
hear about that guy who died at goodwood? he died of a heart attack crossing the finishing line whilst giving it the full moo in a priceless Ferrari. Exempting the marshal who also died, i cant think of a better way to go.
There are plenty of ways to die in this world. some better than others, but I feel its better to die doing something you are passionate about.
My opinion, discuss, NOT cuss.
astraboy.
Old 16 January 2002, 10:28 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

"Exempting the marshal who also died, i cant think of a better way to go."

I think that's the point though, isn't it.. The Marshall.
Old 17 January 2002, 03:29 AM
Steve3drRS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Astraboy + Tiggers--

Thankyou!

The only reason i was getting angry was because i was made out to be some kind of crazy immature madman who endangers the lives of everybody, and should be shot.
Im no more guilty than the average performance car driver, and hate to be accused, of esp as so many friends of mine has lost their lives while driving, and at first the blame goes on the young driver because of stereotype even tho it turns out to never be their fault.

Im glad you understand the point i was trying to put across.

About risk taking- everything fun has some risks, but you have to weigh up the chances of somthing bad happening, against the fun involved. You dont wanna take silly risks, but some take none at all in life, and they end up living a very boring life (and blokes having mid-life crisis's cuz they had no fun when they were young look silly).

Thankyou

Steve
Old 17 January 2002, 07:47 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Straight line Racing is no fun, Much better on track where there are corners
Old 17 January 2002, 08:39 AM
RichieB
Scooby Regular

Angry

Steve....why is it your place to decide the acceptable risk for others? Racing on public roads is ALWAYS an unacceptable risk for innocent others going about their lives. Racing by definition is not a safe activity, that's why they have gravel traps, fire engines, ambulances at race tracks!! If you want to take risks with your own life, go on a track have your "fun", preferably alone.

Rich
Old 17 January 2002, 09:35 AM
Steve3drRS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Dont jus preach to me, tell everybody, most people race from time to time....
Old 17 January 2002, 10:07 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

>Straight line Racing is no fun, Much better on track where there are
corners<
Couldnt agree with you more mate. but try it in a twitchy 3-door cossie on standard rims and your bottle might be tested a bit more!
Did they ever do a 4x4 3 door?
astraboy.
Old 17 January 2002, 03:38 PM
RichieB
Scooby Regular

OK SteveRShowevermanyf**kingdoors...let's take a poll...

Folks...who races from time to time on public roads and thinks its OK?

IMHO totally idiotic
Old 17 January 2002, 03:53 PM
Steve3drRS
Scooby Regular

Wink

Astraboy- theres been quite a few 4x4 3drs made by people, but not as std from ford.

The preachermen- If you go and look at ScoobyNutter555's post- "S.S.P.F.S.C.S.O" it looks like a great many people do (see last load of posts especially).

Old 17 January 2002, 05:28 PM
MarkJackon
Scooby Regular

Racing is usually like road rage, red mist spur of the moment stuff, you grow out of it (mostly) but I can remember many times when I have just raced something and thought "Why did I do that"

MY car is faster than yours, big deal, there is always something bigger and faster. There are time when it is safe and it depends on the other bloke being of the same mind, a case of "I wonder if thats quicker than mine" rather than "Must prove I am quicker"

I was in the back of a Capri (while ago) which was racing and the driver had been beering it (unknown to me), crashed it up an embankment, it landed on its roof into oncoming traffic, how they missed us I dont know. The the throttle jammed open and I was being covered in 4 Star, matey in the front had a *** in his mouth. kicked the little back window through and slid out.

Old 17 January 2002, 05:45 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Cool

Neil,

Suppose thats u r opinion then eh
It`s funny though coz if u talk 2 the peebs that do Pod, Crail etc
etc. A large percentage of them would beg 2 differ m8.
In 12 seconds the buzz u get with the right hardware & opposition can be pretty awsome. As u have a lot less time than on track to prove u r metal and skills. I`m not gonna get in2 a debate on this like coz i debate it regularly with a few other members rolleyes: The larf is though, that when they came on strip with us they were pants @ it maybe biasing their opinions

Pete
Old 17 January 2002, 05:45 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Steve,

Most people don't even bother replying to this childish CR*P, and how you can use a thread, with a total of 40 replies to justify your personal feelings about road racing, is pathetic.

By the way, I thought about putting a T4 in my car, but it was too small, but I did stick with a Garrett.

Mark.
Old 17 January 2002, 05:58 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Angry

"why is it your place to decide the acceptable risk for others"

Every single one of us makes risk judgements every time we get in our car. Anyone ever driven down a dual carriage way, at 60 at 70 at 80 maybe 90. Every moment was an assesment of the risk to yourself and others vs the benefit gained to you - Its called driving.

I am not condoning street racing. but to suggest we are not all assesing risk to ourselves and others everytime we go out in any car (or bike etc.) is fatuous. Even crossing the road as a pedestrain between cars requires an asessment of the risk.

If anyone feels they genuinely pose no risk to anyone ever in their car - wake up and smell the coffee. Its a hunk of metal that can kill.

Deano

Quick Reply: Merits of street racing...