Sponsored by:

hello all

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2007, 07:34 PM
gaddass
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hello all

New to subarus,just got a blue 4 door wrx with ss decatted exhaust and some kinda upgrade to 265bhp,on a 04.

Ive run a boxster for the last 4 yrs ending with a 3.2 for the last 18 months and point to point the little scooby is faster(Ive got a bad back and cant climb in and out of the porsche anymore).

I bought it after driving a evo and subaru back to back and found the subaru more comfy.

Couple of questions,

Ive been filling up with normal cheap petrol,what difference does the 99 ron make?

Im on 17 inch rims and I guess bog standard size tyres yet the steering feels too light with 35psi in the front,what do others run at.

Another important thing,in the 3 weeks Ive had it more people have waved than in 4 yrs with the boxster,friendly lot arnt ya?

So if you see a blue o4 in the notts/derby/l'bro area with a fat old skinhead driving..thats me..gis a wave.
Old 21 December 2007, 07:42 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

welcome m8, 99ron petrol will give you more bhp ....use Shell V power (the best out there )
try 33psi
yes we are a friendly bunch

will wave if I see u in Manchester !
Old 21 December 2007, 07:52 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome mate

V-Power for me
Old 21 December 2007, 07:54 PM
gaddass
Scooby Newbie

TBH im happy with the power its got,the evo I tried had 350ish and I wouldnt want to drive it around town all day whereas the scooby is a baby round town.I was going to drop the tyre pressures and see but thought there would be people on here that had tried the whole spectrum of pressures,Ill give 33 a go,same on rear?
Old 21 December 2007, 09:06 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gaddass
TBH im happy with the power its got,the evo I tried had 350ish and I wouldnt want to drive it around town all day whereas the scooby is a baby round town.I was going to drop the tyre pressures and see but thought there would be people on here that had tried the whole spectrum of pressures,Ill give 33 a go,same on rear?
noop, try 31/32 on the rear fella.

welcome by the way.

what power do the 3.2 boxsters have? i remember a little while back some 50 odd year old tried me at the lights in my old silver wrx (95 model), and to 60-80 he was struggling, then i realised how gay i was being and slowed down

pics of the scoob??
Old 21 December 2007, 09:33 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

If it's had a power upgrade (prodrive performance pack ??) then you should be running it on a minimum of 97 ron petrol, Vpower is 99 ron and is prefered along with Tesco's 99ron. You could be risking a bit of damage otherwise
Old 21 December 2007, 09:41 PM
gaddass
Scooby Newbie

The last one I had was a 01 and that had 265bhp,dont get me wrong its a fast car and will pull from 1200rpm in 6th,on a track I reckon the boxster would have the scooby but on normal roads get the scooby singing and its faster though it doesnt feel so sure footed.
I find myself doing 80 where in the boxster I was doing 70 along the lanes to Nottingham.
Ill try 32 on the back and better start putting in the dear petrol,TBH Im not sure what was done but theres a bill in the papers I got from some tuning firm that the original owner had done when new,its a import but bought new in Derby I think.
Ill have a look tomorrow and see if I can get a couple of pics though the cars filthy at the minute.
Old 21 December 2007, 09:56 PM
danfranklin1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
noop, try 31/32 on the rear fella.

welcome by the way.

what power do the 3.2 boxsters have? i remember a little while back some 50 odd year old tried me at the lights in my old silver wrx (95 model), and to 60-80 he was struggling, then i realised how gay i was being and slowed down

pics of the scoob??
Funny, some 18 year old rich kid raced me in Daddy's Boxter over the summer outside Sunningdale (home of Russ Abbott and Bruce Forsyth, says it all..) and my pretty much standard classic was neck and neck with his 3.2 Porsche in a straight line on a dual carriageway - then I edged him into a roundabout. I guess I might have been running a bit light, just me in the car, and he had a couple of chubby mates egging him on. But made me feel good having a car costing me £5k a couple of years ago beating a Boxter!
Old 22 December 2007, 06:55 AM
gaddass
Scooby Newbie

A chubby mate,its a 2 seater.yep the boxster doesnt like tight corners and to be fair its a different type of car.
On the autobahn(I lived in Germany for years)its a brilliant cruiser and the cool factor is ,,well its a porsche.

I paid 19k for the last one 18 months ago,they arnt that expensive and as for poor mans porsche thats crap i px'd a 911 for the boxster cos it drives better as a convertable.But you can ,in a standard scooby with 4 doors keep up with one on anything but long windey roads and for 5k that aint bad.

The only worry for me at 43 was the image of all scoobys being driven by burberry baseball caps facing the 'wrong'way.But its been a mixed bunch thats waved at me the last couple of weeks and Im enjoying driving it and thats what counts,that and not having to take a handful of ibrufen to get out of it.
Old 22 December 2007, 07:38 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

The only worry for me at 43 was the image of all scoobys being driven by burberry baseball caps facing the 'wrong'way.But its been a mixed bunch thats waved at me the last couple of weeks and Im enjoying driving it and thats what counts,that and not having to take a handful of ibrufen to get out of it.
yeah, basically (and im not trying to steroetype here), its a lot of the mis-treated early wrx imports that these kids can pick up for £2k and dont insure properly that you have to watch out for. dont get me wrong, plenty of members on here with 92/93 imports that look fantastic still, but you'll know what i mean when you see a chavved up lexus light example.

me, im 23 and have a t-plate my99 uk turbo. only worth circa £4k, but shes my pride and joy and not stupid halfords mods in sight. view my scooby... and original take on subtle modification.

boxster rear wheel drive??

also i read in your posts about it being an import. if youve been running it on 95ron, be very very careful. unless im mis-understanding, you could see an engine go pop from this, others have as imports run on 100ron in japan. even if it was here from new, unless the engine knock has been mapped to accept "the cheap sh*t" we get lumped with.... be very careful. others on here know more, this is just the basics for me
Old 22 December 2007, 07:45 AM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The only worry for me at 43 was the image of all scoobys being driven by burberry baseball caps facing the 'wrong'way.
Don't wory matey - there's quite a few of us more 'mature' Scoob drivers lurking around Enjoy the car
Old 22 December 2007, 07:57 AM
Scooby Regular

IMHO:
The right advice in the last para above from Chocolate.
Shell V power is the best and you can expect the smooth comfy car you bought forever, or when there is a speed/thrill itch to scratch? No issues to worry about.
Engine knock (pinking) will take the bottom end out of the engine or worse.

Lots has been writen on the Chav side of Impreza's but I think this element is in all cars. When you look closely you will see a very wide variety of 'types' in the cars, old guys like me and very young ones like Chocolate for example.

Scooby wave? Tons of them, though fewer do it with very new ones, but classic turbo drivers are most enthusiastic which is great.

When I drive my classic 911 very few wave back in any Porsche unless you happen across another oldie.

Chocolate:
The Boxters are rear wheel drive with about 230 bhp, no turbo in there and weigh a stack so not particularly fast, but a very nice car I think.

Finally: Welcome to the fold Gaddass!

Graham.
Old 22 December 2007, 09:28 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 911
IMHO:
The right advice in the last para above from Chocolate.
Shell V power is the best and you can expect the smooth comfy car you bought forever, or when there is a speed/thrill itch to scratch? No issues to worry about.
Engine knock (pinking) will take the bottom end out of the engine or worse.

Lots has been writen on the Chav side of Impreza's but I think this element is in all cars. When you look closely you will see a very wide variety of 'types' in the cars, old guys like me and very young ones like Chocolate for example.

Scooby wave? Tons of them, though fewer do it with very new ones, but classic turbo drivers are most enthusiastic which is great.

When I drive my classic 911 very few wave back in any Porsche unless you happen across another oldie.

Chocolate:
The Boxters are rear wheel drive with about 230 bhp, no turbo in there and weigh a stack so not particularly fast, but a very nice car I think.

Finally: Welcome to the fold Gaddass!

Graham.
thanks for clearing that up. from reading about them, the standard boxsters have plenty of mid range power (well compared to a 4wd standard scoob anywho). like i said earlier, from standstill on a dry "private" road, this older guy was in my rear view mirror. then to around 80 he was catching, so assuming the td05 in the old wrx i had was running out of puff, or was/is it a case of transmission losses? bad driver on my part perhaps?
Old 22 December 2007, 10:14 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by danfranklin1
Funny, some 18 year old rich kid raced me in Daddy's Boxter over the summer outside Sunningdale .........and he had a couple of chubby mates egging him on.
How? The Boxter's only got 2 seats
Old 22 December 2007, 10:17 AM
gaddass
Scooby Newbie

Mine was a 3.2 with 265bhp but after 03 they get 295bhp.The older 3.2 does 0-60 in 6 sec so no slouch and goes to 165,but it is a heavy car and rear wheel drive and mid engined which means in tight corners the back can go easily.

Ive found the paperwork,its got from TSL Motorsport in keyworth Nottingham,
ecutek remap
tsl decat exhaust
sigma alarm
tsl gpn backbox
premier pack(no idea what that is ut cost 800-00gbp
33000 and full history

Ive just bought some halfords brighter lights for it and am trying to get some of those rubber wiper blades but halfords reckon I need knew/different wiper arms.

What else should I get?The stuff everyone does.
Old 22 December 2007, 10:25 AM
stressymare
Scooby Regular

hi hun and welcome

enjoy your car and do me a favour

use decent fuel in it

Liz
Old 22 December 2007, 11:26 AM
gaddass
Scooby Newbie

Sounds like Ill be doing me one as well,good petrol it is then.
Old 22 December 2007, 11:30 AM
telscooby1
Scooby Regular

hello mate welcome to the site
Old 22 December 2007, 11:35 AM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

Congratulations on your new purchase & Welcome

You can only listen to the advice given on modifications etc. But at the end of the day, its yours do what you like.

Oh as Stressy said, put decent fuel in it

Enjoy the car

Ant
Old 22 December 2007, 04:31 PM
Scooby Regular

Find TSL again and get them to fit uprated roll bars and align the car.
Didn't realise the Boxter (s?) ran such bhp, but as you say, mid engine cars on the limit become snappy so to speak.
Old 22 December 2007, 05:58 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Hi ! And welcome to the site.

On an 04 plate fuel SHOULD be less of an issue, but TSL will have re-mapped the car to be safe ! Good fuel is always going to help tho'..... make you poor !

Enjoy the car !

DunxC
Old 22 December 2007, 08:49 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Welcome Gaddass,

You would expect the Boxster handling to be better, but the grip to be worse - is that the case ? Anyway, enjoy your Scoob !

Andy Mc

PS : your car will have been mapped for a specific fuel (mine is mapped for V-Power). It would be worth finding out what it was. Put V-power in if you're not sure. Your ECU will have retarded the ignition on detecting the knock caused by using the 95 ron, so you will be running less power until you've had a tank or two of the good stuff.
Old 23 December 2007, 06:57 AM
gaddass
Scooby Newbie

The boxster handling was amazing,Im not good enough to find its limit but I went out with a bird who used to race F3 and she scared the crap out of me in my own car.
They dont like quick direction changes though or tight bends and thay are wide.You cannot chuck em about,and they are not forgiving.they are a well made amazing handling car well worth the money but dont suit our roads or driving style in GB.As I say,on the track Id take the boxster or infact the motorway but day to day and general knocking around the scooby is a faster a=b machine.
I move again next year and was going to get a 4x4 but will nowget another boxster for me and get another scooby for her and general driving around as its such a beautiful little comfy fast car,fun for bucks its the best car Ive ever had(over 100 to date)closly followed by a 1380cc mini in days long gone of which it reminds me quite a bit,old souped up mini drivers will know what I mean.
I will be moving to Vpower when I find a shell garage.
Old 23 December 2007, 04:21 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Hi ! And welcome to the site.

Good fuel is always going to help tho'..... make you poor !

DunxC
Not necessarily, I get about 10% better MPG with Vpower which more than make up for the extra 7p per litre.
Old 23 December 2007, 10:24 PM
danfranklin1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Norman Dog
How? The Boxter's only got 2 seats
Apologies. I'm not a liar, I was merely on a roll. It was indeed only ONE chubby fella in the passenger seat! Sorry!
Old 23 December 2007, 10:51 PM
gaddass
Scooby Newbie

Guessed thats what you meant.And whats wrong with chubby,the girls love a chubby smiling face...dont they?