Sponsored by:

Almost, very nearly dead :(

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2002, 02:05 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me that is....

Just popped round a mates house this lunch time, round a lovley long sweeping road....(damp)

I was gently on the throttle round a fantastic bend, the road tightened up on me and the back end stepped out...

The car slid sideways into oncomming traffic, then fishtailed the other way, then again and span me backwards up onto a bank..... inches from a very large tree

After the smoke (tyre) had settled, I gained my composure and shot off to stop somewhere quiet and inspect the car! Amazingly, the car does not have a mark on it, still drives perfectly, phewww!

Me on the other hand, I am a little shaken up. I know why this happened, and in my opinion did well to minimise the spin.... just let this be a reminder to you all, be carefull out there.

Must have looked amazing to the others on the road!

Thanks for reading, I am off for some 'class A' drugs

Paul
Old 16 January 2002, 02:11 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
M8, I can sympathise with that one, last nite in my 72 hours of owning my Sti-V, came round a roundabout, a muppet in a 106 was locked up coming way too fast right at me, so i booted it i was about 1/2 way round the roundabout and the back fishtailed to the left, backed off so it fishtailed to the right towards the bollards, managed to floor it again and i went up the road sideways and with big logs in my pants proceeded up the road like my gran on her zimmaframe!! - my conclusion was, it was cold, it was wet and i cannot drive for toffee!! hehe
Old 16 January 2002, 02:11 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

you been playing V-Rally on your palm IIIc, have you?
Old 16 January 2002, 02:13 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

possibly looked more scary than amazing to others on the road. I for one would be rather worried if someone was skidding out of control in front of me / coming towards me
Old 16 January 2002, 02:13 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

I know this sounds silly but if you back off the throttle suddenly that alone can cause the backend to step out.. this theres some sites somewhere about advance driving techniques...
sure someone will post
Old 16 January 2002, 02:15 PM
fdpxfunix
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Lucky, very lucky.

I've not been involved any "sideways" action in my 'Scoob' yet, but I'm sure it'll come one day.

I did however have a rather nasty "slip" on some ice at the station carpark this morning. It was enough to put me off walking fast during wet/icy conditions, let alone driving fast!

Thanks for the reminder.

J.
Old 16 January 2002, 02:15 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

atleast you didnt damage your car, my vans a little dented.... anyone got the number for dentmaster???

Tony
Old 16 January 2002, 02:16 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments guys.

Dizzy, I am aware of liftoff oversteer (the backend whizzing round when you come off the throttle in a bend), I trailed the throttle even when spinning, this greatly reduced the severity of the incident..... I hope

Paul
Old 16 January 2002, 02:26 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Cool

I noticed on my way back from Nottingham last ngiht that it was a bit slippy especially on the Toyota roundabout...

Got home and there was ice on all the neighbours cars...

Becareful out there...

at least no one was hurt.. except Tony's finger..
Old 16 January 2002, 02:34 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Might not be a bad idea to get a geometry check, and check the tyres for damage carefully.

Glad your ok.

David

[Edited by Shark - 1/16/2002 2:34:29 PM]
Old 16 January 2002, 02:35 PM
scoobylover
Scooby Regular

tbmeech:- i give u a month before u bin it
Old 16 January 2002, 02:37 PM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

My nearest death experience in a car was when I had a mini. I worked in Swanley which is a short trip up the M25 for me. Anyway got in the car in the morning and the brakes felt a bit dodgy but being a bit stupid and not wanting to be late for work I took the car. I was only 21 by the way so thats my excuse for being stupid. I actually got to work fine the brakes improved the more I used them. Got to 5:00pm got in the car and had to go through Swanley high st. Looked up realised that they'd got road works and portable traffic lights. Lights were still red so I started braking....brakes didn't work at all. White van in front was coming up really fast, I knew any second I was going to plough straight into the back of him doing around 35-40 mph. I'd just had a paint job on the car as well and I remember thinking "oh sh*t there goes my paint job, should have really been thinking about my life. So I decided to yank the handbrake up in a vain attempt to stop the car. Immediately the car spins doing 180 degree turn. I remember seeing a lamp post on the pavement coming very close. Car stops parked totally parallel to the kerb between two parked cars, engine still running. How I remebered to put the clutch in I do not know. Police car goes past me 10 secs later. Pull out really shaken up, lights were green by now, I remember seeing the peoples faces queing on the otherside. They must have thought I was a stunt man.
Old 16 January 2002, 02:42 PM
fazack
Scooby Regular

I've just got a paper cut on my little finger.
Old 16 January 2002, 02:46 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

POC - glad you're ok, and yep potentially ice, but definitely wet n muddy out there at the mow.. take it easy mate, Alex
Old 16 January 2002, 02:51 PM
PEN
Scooby Regular

Paul
I had a similar scenario about a year ago, but I did hit something, it's scarey and it sticks with you... the car is after all a car... not invincible.. we all need to remember that...

Glad you're okay

As before the pitt is available for any repairs you might need

P
Old 16 January 2002, 02:54 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your comments Alex

Thanks for the offer PEN I will have a quick look under the car this evening, first impressions are that the car is fine, however I may find something unsavory under all the mud and grass (not dog s*it eiher!)....

Fingers crossed it is ok, I got a new exhaust to fit tonight!

Paul
Old 16 January 2002, 02:57 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yeah no worries Paul..

I've rolled a fiat coupe @ 30mph and spun a MX5 @ 70mph, both write offs and both not plesant to be in whilst it was happening!
Old 16 January 2002, 02:58 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Go easy mate. Want to see you and the car in one piece on Saturday

Glad u are okay.

[Ali G Mode on]
PS. Class A definately assures that they are good quality
[Ali G Mode off]
Old 16 January 2002, 03:01 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Talking

Glad your ok mate.

Ive been trying to get overstear for sometime now, and having trouble getting it, all I get is front end slide L

World of dif trying to get it, and experiencing it when your not expecting it, hope your head is ok, these things can shake you up
Old 16 January 2002, 03:16 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paul..

Last phone call home mine hadnt turned up Glad You and car are ok though.. otherwise group buy on body repair!

LOL - DjDunk

CATFLAP... your not trying hard enough I have large roundabout on our ringroad which i usally do this on... Early morning / late night obviously... be really brutal hard on the power and quickly off.. dont worry you'll know when you get it!!

David

[Edited by David_Wallis - 1/16/2002 3:17:27 PM]
Old 16 January 2002, 03:20 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Scoobylover cheers m8, I give myself the rest of tonight lmfao...in fact I have stopped laughing now as all my mates said that too!!!

Quite funny really I can race motorbikes at 160 yet I can't even get round a roundabout at 30 in me Scooby
Old 16 January 2002, 03:22 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

LOL @ David

Next thread -

*** GROUPBUY - WRX DIFF REBUILDS/UNDERBODY WELDING ***

Paul

Old 16 January 2002, 03:54 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thanx dave, ill keep trying (late at night on empty roads/ car park)

I even tried hard on with left foot break, all i get is front nose slide

I seem to have no grip at all
Old 16 January 2002, 03:57 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

catflap - Lift off oversteer is fun!

Just find a nice big roundabout, use the throttle to power round (be quite brutal), when the car is mid way round, lift off the power, this will cause the backend to slide round nicley.......

Go easy though mate, the roads are slippy, dont over do it!

Paul
Old 16 January 2002, 04:00 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

The car slid sideways into oncomming traffic, then fishtailed the other way, then again and span me backwards up onto a bank
Catflap - It might be an idea to look for driving tips from another source
Old 16 January 2002, 04:09 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

LOL @ fastbloke.....

I dont think it was my driving at fault mate, road seemed vvvv slippy. Prob shouldn't have been going as quick as I was though.

You explain lift off oversteer to catflap better then mate

Paul
Old 16 January 2002, 04:16 PM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Which bend was this Paul, I live in Berko and had a similar experience in the P1 ona wet a leaf laden road. I managed to hold the slide and 'power out of it', much to the pleasure of oncoming traffic and myself, which was nice
Old 16 January 2002, 04:18 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

I didn't claim to be 'good' at it. Last time I did it was off a roundabout - quick change of direction, slight understeer, off throttle, big oversteer, panic, world slows down to matrix bullet dodging speed, back on throttle, opposite lock, close eyes wait for impact, count three, open eyes..... Still on tarmac - bonus

Catflap - learn it on a wide open space. Local football pitch is good. You can do it at much lower speeds with no kerb/traffic interactions. Try not to get caught by the footballers though
Old 16 January 2002, 04:22 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

Paul, it was coming out of Berko, on the way to Tring.... as you come out of cowroast, there is a right hand bend that tightens up half way through..... that was the little bitch!

You can prob see the skid marks and the grass on the road!

[if you see my heart around there can you stick it in the post to me - think I coughed it up somewhere!]

Cheers

Paul

[Edited by POC - 1/16/2002 4:25:14 PM]
Old 16 January 2002, 04:44 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

Dr Evil,

How on earth did you roll a Fiat Coupe at 30? You must have hit something? as the turning circle is so naff I doubt you could even do it a 60!!!!

(not saying you didn't, just curious as the missus has one)

Quick Reply: Almost, very nearly dead :(