Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone on octane?

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2000, 07:09 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just put some WYNNS octane booster in today and i can't believe the difference its made. It just pulls alot harder in 3rd & 4th

My car is the standard RB5 with SS Downpipe & backbox and ITG filter also running on super.
Has anyone else tried any and did you think it made a difference.
Scott
Old 20 December 2000, 07:42 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Talking

No difference pulling wise but engine does seem to run smoother

Si
Old 21 December 2000, 09:36 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

I always run SUL and Millers Octane+ in my STI.
The need is obviously more critical with this model but the difference in smoothness and power delivery (compared to running only SUL) is quite suprising.
At £30 for 10 bottles delivered (1 bottle raises 50 litres by 2 RON) it's not worth not bothering...if you know what I mean!

Fact is that higher octane gives better fuel economy due to more efficient burn and less emmissions (same reason) as well as improved performance, so why don't the petrol companies do it in the first place!!??

Neil.
Old 21 December 2000, 07:49 PM
Bright Kar
Scooby Regular

I've been running on Millers +SUL for a while now and I cant really comment as there were some dramatic temperature changes around the time and that alone makes the car feel different.

One thing I can say is its a pain in the **** needing fill up fuel and Octane booster on an empty tank. Any ideas ?

bkar

[This message has been edited by Bright Kar (edited 21 December 2000).]
Old 22 December 2000, 10:19 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Bright Kar.

Are you saying that you literally run dry and put in a bottle plus 50 litres each time?
If you are then I can see it would be a pain!
I just ensure that the ratio is about correct each time.
As a rule I put in £20ish and half a bottle (125ml) and err on the "octane rich" side each time. I have an old Silkolene FST bottle with a clear measuring strip up the side which is ideal for measuring the batches!

Neil.
Old 22 December 2000, 03:53 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Octane boosters definitely work and give real, measurable improvements in performance. If you've got an import that's supposed to run Jap 100 RON fuel, it's essential, but it also makes my car (MY00 UK with PPP) go much better.

I've done lots of back to back tests which I believe to be reliable. (If anyone wants to know how, just ask.) My conclusion, and this is a massive guess based on the stop-watch readings, is that changing from NUL 95 RON to SUL with Millers at 99 RON is worth 15 bhp. Next time there's a dyno run, we'll know for sure.

I use Millers Octane-Plus from
Old 22 December 2000, 04:08 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sounds like a good thing to do. I've got a UKMY99 which I do run on SUL.

However, I've never thought of using octane booster. But I can see it's worth a go.

Next question is, is there any discernable difference between different makes? And, where is the cheapest place to buy?

Ta,

Matt

Trending Topics

Old 22 December 2000, 06:12 PM
Bright Kar
Scooby Regular

Hi Neil F,

I guess I will start to go to the pumps with a mesuring jug Supposed I need to find some convenient bottles like you have. It is real @rse at the moment. Why dont Millers put a clear measure strip on the side ?

bkar
Old 22 December 2000, 06:20 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

you pays your money....
Old 22 December 2000, 06:31 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

I just put in one bottle of octane to a full(ish) tank of petrol. too much octane(within reason)can't be a bad thing, can it?
scott
Old 22 December 2000, 06:35 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

Smile

In theory it'll not be a problem... but the higher the octane the slower the burn, so it ain't ideal, unless the ecu has the ability to advance the ignition to suit.... anyone?

Owain.
Old 22 December 2000, 07:37 PM
Leigh
Scooby Regular

I started using millers a while ago and definately noticed a difference after resetting the ecu. Before I used octane boost, I had it on Power Engineering's rollers and got 260bhp, and since I've used millers I've almost matched that (259bhp) at Powestation, and knowing the lower readings that you get at Powerstation compared to PE, I'd say that shows a reasonable gain, (I know that's not very scientific but it gives you some idea of the improvement) Still wish I could run on NUL though, it's a right pain in the @rse driving a 13mile round trip (passing three other garages on the way) to get SUL.

Leigh
Old 22 December 2000, 08:16 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
bkar, what's the problem? I agree, it would be handy if Millers had a clear strip down the side of the bottle to make top-ups easier. Or is it that you've got an earlier car which, I think, might have a 50 ltr tank instead of the 60 ltr of more recent models? If that's the case, phone Mike Tuckwood at Scoobymania for advice. I think he'll say don't worry too much about the mixture ratio so bung in a bottle with 40 litres of SUL and keep on smilin'!

Leigh, am I the only one in the country who doesn't have trouble getting SUL? There are at least five garages near me that stock it - BP, Esso, two Shell and Sainsburys.

If I'm away from home and get desperate, I just fill up with 95 RON and a bottle of Millers (97 RON) and that's fine. The ECU takes charge immediately and I fill up with SUL when I can. Again, the ECU sorts it out and you don't even notice the change unless you get serious with a stop-watch.

I think a lot of drivers are concerned about the ECU re-mapping itself with lower grade fuel, but then taking several tankfulls of SUL to get back to optimum. With MY99 and later cars, the ECU is dead smart and gets itself back up to speed within a few miles.

Hoppy