Sponsored by:

OK, WTF do I do now?

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2007, 09:03 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy OK, WTF do I do now?

Took car to a city nearby today, to have clutch and lightened flywheel, (bought from VERY respected supplier), fitted (by a respected garage). Guy has a Scoob of his own and knows them inside out.

Go back to pick it up, and he can't get the new clutch to disengage.

So...........have had to make my own way home by train. £20, and three hours, with missed connection, thanks a lot Northern Trains

Options now:

Already owe garage for today's work. Pay him to put it back as standard and take it to supplier, have them fit it, and see if it IS faulty, as my garage man insists. Out £500

Have my garage man fit a clutch HE sources, and skim MY flywheel, paying him for that, the work already undertaken today, and parts, then send the clutch I bought back to the supplier to see if it's faulty? And ask them to reimburse me? What's the chance of that? Out postage at least, but more than likely, £650 PLUS postage

As above, but write off the £650 already spent And save postage.

OK guys, what do I do?

Alcazar
Old 12 December 2007, 09:10 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tbh the supplier will prob blame the fitter, I always pay extra and take it to the stealers for work to be done, as there is no hassle.

Been in your situation, lost out, once bittten...

Gary
Old 12 December 2007, 09:24 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

If the garage remove the item and it proves to be faulty, its surely the manufacturer who needs to cover the cost of the extra labour, as well as supply replacement parts.

If however when sent back the "faulty" item is proven NON faulty, then its the garages job to sort it.

In an ideal world....

In the meantime, im sure you need your car.
Old 12 December 2007, 09:25 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I'd be inclined to try a post in drivetrain, or pm david @ API.

Someone will have come across this before, and there may be a simple solution.

Got to be worth a try?

Cheers,
Simon
Old 12 December 2007, 09:37 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Dialogue.... Get the supplier to call the garage or vice-versa. Hopefully that'll sort it out. ISTR reading on 22B about flywheels of differing thicknesses have issues in getting the clutch to hook up properly.

It might be worthwhile PMing or calling ZEN as he seems most knowledgeable.

J.
Old 12 December 2007, 09:44 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

If both the supplier and the garage are as respectful as you say, they should be able to help you out. A call from the garage to the supplier would have most suppliers offering the change it.

Its not that hard to fit a clutch. If the fitter is respectable, the supplier will appreciate that.

What do you think? Do you think the garage is just trying it on? If you believe them then take it up with the supplier. If you think the garage is dodgy you want your car back.
Old 12 December 2007, 10:09 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I don't think EITHER are dodgy, (call me gullible?), but I also don't think anyone is gonna cough for this as it's best part of £400 I've lost, minimum!

We'll see what tomorrow brings, I'm contacting clutch supplier first, then telling garage to hang fire.............either to put it back as it was or to wait delivery of a replacement, from supplier.

Alcazar

Trending Topics

Old 13 December 2007, 05:19 AM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Blame the fitter. If there was a problem with the clutch, and he does indeed know subarus inside out, he should have spotted it before or during fitting. Or he may have just made a minor mistake, i've done it before on occasion, and you just have to pull the box again and sort it out, no major problem.
Old 13 December 2007, 08:23 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Ditto what Zen says.

Stupid things like release bearing wrong way round, etc
Old 13 December 2007, 09:23 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I might be being a little stupid here, but you have instructed the garage to fit you a clutch and 'they' can't get it to disengage

in my mind its down to the garage to sort out at no extra cost to you

Like I said I may be being a little stupid, or is it not as black & white as that ?
Old 13 December 2007, 09:47 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic'
I might be being a little stupid here, but you have instructed the garage to fit you a clutch and 'they' can't get it to disengage

in my mind its down to the garage to sort out at no extra cost to you

Like I said I may be being a little stupid, or is it not as black & white as that ?
This is the thing with many car garages - if they mess up, they charge you.

Had it before with a Nissan GTIR. 2 weeks it took them to change to clutch when I said take the engine out and they tried to do it in situ (do-able but just as PITA). They then tried to charge £300 over what we agreed.

When I used to repair pressure washers, if we messed up a job we wouldn't charge the client.
Old 13 December 2007, 11:15 AM
RagingKileak
Scooby Regular

My POV on this... Clutches dont really come faulty... Think about the parts you handed over to him - not likely to be faulty eh?

On the other hand a HUMAN is fitting the clutch and as has been said already, little things cause big problems.

I dont know how to fit a clutch, but I reckon there are probably 200 places to go wrong in doing so, and just 1 could cause this problem.

Without any knowledge on cars at all you can say mathematically the likelihood is that the fitter has fluffed it.

Matt
Old 13 December 2007, 12:16 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is one of our Exedy clutches. Not a hope in hell of it being " faulty" I spoke to the fitter but I can tell from his discussion with me that he is not going to fit and make our clutch work. I suggested all the usual; do this, try this, and then do that, and it had "all been done yesterday "

Given that the fitter was trying to make a point that my clutch did not meet his approval, it seemed to me that he was not even going to try to make it work and in that case it was not fair that the customer might get charged for an argument between me and the fitter.

I am getting our clutch back and giving the buyer a full refund, then the fitter is supplying his own version of the Exedy........

Once I see what comes back, l'll have a fair idea what has happened.

David APi
Old 13 December 2007, 12:54 PM
Flix
Scooby Regular

I've had a similar problem with an Exedy clutch last month. It lasted 76 miles, there was a bang and the pedal went to the floor. When we removed the box the spring had come off the bearing. I spoke to the supplier who said that they had this problem before.
Fitted a replacement and all is well. But I've got to chase around for the labour costs to be reimbursed.
API "Not a hope in hell of a faulty Exedy clutch", I think there is.
P20SPD, how do you fit a clutch incorrectly, it can only fit one way.
Old 13 December 2007, 12:59 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
This is one of our Exedy clutches. Not a hope in hell of it being " faulty" I spoke to the fitter but I can tell from his discussion with me that he is not going to fit and make our clutch work. I suggested all the usual; do this, try this, and then do that, and it had "all been done yesterday "

Given that the fitter was trying to make a point that my clutch did not meet his approval, it seemed to me that he was not even going to try to make it work and in that case it was not fair that the customer might get charged for an argument between me and the fitter.

I am getting our clutch back and giving the buyer a full refund, then the fitter is supplying his own version of the Exedy........

David APi
Fair play David, good of you to add that mate
And a good gesture too.
Old 13 December 2007, 01:03 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

I said, " not a hope in MY Exedy being faulty" - the corollary to that is ON FIT.

There are other types of Exedy out there, that are not the same as the one I bring in from Japan. That's why I can confidently speak as l do. NEVER had a problem on one of ours.

We did have a numpty garage in Brum recently, that pulled the gearbox in onto the new clutch by the bolts and managed to respline the disc halfway through by sheer force. That disc can be seen at Scoobyclinic. The force necessary to do that was sufficient to break a NEW PPg box they had just built.

Not strictly a clutch fault, but still an example of a clutch being fitted wrong / badly. People have also managed to put the disc in the wrong way around. They have also managed to bend the release bearing retaining clips.

David APi
Old 13 December 2007, 02:38 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

release bearing in the wrong way round, clip "removed" from clutch cover before fitting, friction plate in wrong way round, slave cylinder over extended. there are many ways to screw it up.
Old 13 December 2007, 02:48 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Glad the experts are giving the facts here
Old 13 December 2007, 03:28 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Originally Posted by Flix
P20SPD, how do you fit a clutch incorrectly, it can only fit one way.
If you have ever fitted a clutch on your own in a hurry, or being careless you will know that a simple mistake can stop the clutch from functioning.

eg Release bearing on the wrong way round so it doesnt actually engage into the clutch once the box is back on, thus giving the impression of a faulty clutch when you press the pedal.

Talked a few people through this problem, and have done it on one occassion myself.
Old 13 December 2007, 03:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

David at API had already contacted me with his more than kind offer when he posted.

I would like to point out to the more volatile READERS of this, that NOWHERE have I mentioned anyone by name. I do not think that it would have got me, or anyone involved in this, anywhere.

I would further like to recommend David as an honourable person who has gone far beyond what I would say he needed to in order to see me right.

Many thanks, David, publicly.

Alcazar
Old 13 December 2007, 03:37 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by P20SPD
If you have ever fitted a clutch on your own in a hurry, or being careless you will know that a simple mistake can stop the clutch from functioning.

eg Release bearing on the wrong way round so it doesnt actually engage into the clutch once the box is back on, thus giving the impression of a faulty clutch when you press the pedal.

Talked a few people through this problem, and have done it on one occassion myself.
Stephen, that is what I suspect has happened in this case. Just that the fitter is rather assertive and " has fitted 5 clutches in the last 5 weeks " and runs a high power Subaru and would NEVER make a mistake. He also alleges that our newly skimmed, lightweight flywheel has visible cracks in the face. NOW that is definitely not likely.

I got the feeling that no matter what l did, it was going to cost the car owner money through the fitters obstinacy, rather than any fault and that he was going to prove a point.

Time to back out gracefully as it was a battle I could not win - especially with someone else's money at stake.

David APi
Old 13 December 2007, 03:39 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by alcazar
David at API had already contacted me with his more than kind offer when he posted.

I would like to point out to the more volatile READERS of this, that NOWHERE have I mentioned anyone by name. I do not think that it would have got me, or anyone involved in this, anywhere.

I would further like to recommend David as an honourable person who has gone far beyond what I would say he needed to in order to see me right.

Many thanks, David, publicly.

Alcazar
Now you've made me go all red in the face...............

Ta !

David
Old 13 December 2007, 03:43 PM
Santas Elf
Scooby Regular

Merry Christmas one and all.....
Old 13 December 2007, 04:11 PM
noobyscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid

David APi
This seems a very fair post. I know where I'm going when I need a clutch! Well done David.
Old 13 December 2007, 10:17 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

After reading some of the things on here recently,the refund being offered by David is very honourable - just shows what a bit of give and take can do.API have done things graciously and people will see this probably resulting in more business going to API in the future.

Group hug anyone?
Old 13 December 2007, 10:35 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

makes me perfect then i've never had a problem with any clutch i've fitted in 12 yrs of doing scoobies!!!
Old 13 December 2007, 10:47 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alcazar

Sounds like a good businessman. If I lived in the UK and needed a clutch that's exactly where I would go!
Old 13 December 2007, 11:18 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Don't doubt it, David @ API is 100% honourable, reliable and all around good guy.

I've only bought from him once, but have had advice, for free, on many occassions- and its always been good, and not based on what he can sell me.

Just another reason to not only buy from someone who knows what they're talking about, but have work done by someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 13 December 2007, 11:39 PM
danfranklin1
Scooby Regular

David, I'm sold! Top man. The original clutch on my MY99 can't have much more to give at 106k now, so I may well be paying you a visit at some point.
Old 14 December 2007, 09:35 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by danfranklin1
David, I'm sold! Top man. The original clutch on my MY99 can't have much more to give at 106k now, so I may well be paying you a visit at some point.
Don't panic just yet. I once had an uncomfortable conversation with a guy whose Forester we had just done a rebuild at about 140,ooo miles. It went:

"I ASKED YOU TO CHANGE THE CLUTCH - WHY DIDN'T YOU DO IT AS I ASKED? [ loud voice ]

" Because there was nothing wrong with it - it is like new. So I saved you 200 odd quid........."

I was never sure if I hadn't been set up, him knowing that it had a clutch fitted 6 months previously and testing us to see what would happen. BUT, if it was the original then they can be made to last a looooooooooong time.

As for the deal here, with the clutch thing that this thread started with. We at APi call it service, we recognise that we can **** up and so-on like anyone else. It is what you do then that counts. Even if it means sorting out a clumsy fitting garage.

I know in my own mind that there is nothing wrong with that clutch and someone - maybe you - will buy it sometime soon, with a full warranty and all the usual support. IF it is damaged it'll get binned, but I doubt that.

Thanks for all the kind words, it is nice to know that we have done the occasional thing right.

David APi

Quick Reply: OK, WTF do I do now?