Sponsored by:

Advice Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2007, 07:31 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice Needed?

Evening all after the new year I will be taking the next step of mods on my Scooby and aiming for 400 bhp or more what gearbox should I fit when doing this and how much? Also what is the max the internals on my Turbo 2000 Classic (2.0 engine) will take and if I need new internals is it just a case of new pistons and con-rods or no? (Want to keep the 2.0 engine) and is there anything else I should be thinking of replacing or no.Help and advice please all.
Old 12 December 2007, 09:59 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12 December 2007, 10:06 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out a few view my scoobs on other 400bhp cars, it will give you a good idea where and how to start.
If I were doing the same I`b be tempted to start with a red top engine and work from there.
Old 14 December 2007, 12:49 PM
GONZO01
Scooby Regular

Any more suggestions as the response so far has been immense
Old 14 December 2007, 12:53 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

rebuild with rods, pistons, uprated oil cooler, bigger turbo, 6 speed or ppg gearbox, decat, headers, injectors, uprated clutch, uprated spark plugs, etc etc etc, how deep are your pockets is the first question cos it aint gonna be cheap
Old 14 December 2007, 12:56 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GONZO01
Evening all after the new year I will be taking the next step of mods on my Scooby and aiming for 400 bhp or more what gearbox should I fit when doing this and how much? Also what is the max the internals on my Turbo 2000 Classic (2.0 engine) will take and if I need new internals is it just a case of new pistons and con-rods or no? (Want to keep the 2.0 engine) and is there anything else I should be thinking of replacing or no.Help and advice please all.
You will need an Sti 6 speed or PPG 5 spped set to cope with the power comfortably. Budget 2k for former, bit more for latter.

Internals: how long is a piece of string - there is no set figure I personally wouldn't go for 400bhp on std UK no-Sti internals, in a car that you want to use as a daily driver, especially if its getting on a bit! However, by all accounts from people who know much more than me they are capable of it!

You'd be looking at rods, pistons, cams and better gaskets at a minimum I'd imagine, but it might be more economically sound to go the whole hog and upgrade to a 2.5 bottom end.

Give David at APi a call and ask for advice, tell him Ns04 sent ya!

ns04
Old 14 December 2007, 01:13 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For over 400 bhp you will need new age 6 speed or 5 speed PPG box. Having looked at this (as I need one), I would say the PPG is better as you don't have the extra gear change if you ever do quarter miles. You can more use of the torque and it is a lot lighter.

Running over 400bhp you will also need to upgrade your clutch, I am looking at c. £5k for the transmission I want (PPG + Exedy twin plate clutch, built and fitted) so am hanging on for the new year.

Internals.. you will need uprated pistons, rods, gaskets, head bolts etc. Lots of money required there as the standard parts wouldn't be up to it.

Supporting mods for fuel, such as pump, injectors will be required. you will also need a uprated Turbo and cooling systems such as a fmic..

Basically, you're looking at a lot of dough!