Sponsored by:

Exhuast Blowing

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2007, 12:40 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhuast Blowing

Well my STI V4 is in for a service basically change oil and all of that mainly for peace of mind. They checked diffs etc. Went down to check for a update. They gladly showed me the vehicle the underneath is in A1 condition but the picked up a Small hole forming on my tailpaipe and the first cat from turbo is starting to blow slightly.

My exhaust is Apexi, and I just said I will buy a new exhaust from cat back. Now they advised me to get rid of the cat and get a straight through exhaust and chip the car.

All I need to know guys is if I go that route will my engine blow up. It would increase the mpg I would imagine. I don't really thrash my car. And how much would a cat cost.
Old 04 December 2007, 02:06 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

a v4 will have issues come mot time without a cat (unless you find a friendly tester), if you are happy with the car as it is then personally I wouldnt change it.

If you went the chip option, then you may find economy improves slightly, however if you use the full performance offered by the chip then overall it the mpg may be less (if that makes sense) but off boost it would probably be more responsive and more efficient.
Old 04 December 2007, 05:18 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

It's ok at the minute but will need replacing eventually. I asked about a downpipe with sports cat that scoobybits are selling and my garage said I would need to chip the car.

If I chipped it would my engine blow up. I don't thrash the car anyway.