Sponsored by:

Bumper Scuff Estimated Cost

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2007, 05:43 PM
BooSH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper Scuff Estimated Cost

Hi all i'm interested in anyone who has had a scuffed bumper repaired, i've got a black (the one with the speckles in) 04 sti and i bought it with a scuffed bumper, which i plan on getting repaired (see picture just above the tailpipe), I was wondering if anyone knows what sort of price it's gonna cost me or if anyone has had a similar thing repaired. Cheers, Will

Old 03 December 2007, 05:51 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got several scuffs on front and rear bumpers. At our local Halfords they do bumper and other cosmetic stuff and I got a quote for the lot, which came to £200. But breaking it down by scuff: for one similar to the one you have it was £65.

Cheers
Nick
Old 03 December 2007, 06:02 PM
BooSH
Scooby Regular

Cool that don't sound to bad, don't fancy taking it to a Halfrauds though, probably try and find a reputable spray shop
Old 03 December 2007, 06:07 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks like most of that would polish out TBH. Get yourself over to A world for detailers... and ask for a recommended detailer in your area.

They would also be able to show you how to clean that dirty tailpipe
Old 03 December 2007, 06:12 PM
BooSH
Scooby Regular

It'll never polish out smooth though it's actually gone all the way through the paint. I'm already a member on detailing world i'm called will_c on there though, it's a great site.
Old 03 December 2007, 06:15 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

You've just reminded me; call the subaru garage to arrange them to fix my bumper they scratched.
Old 03 December 2007, 07:36 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BooSH
It'll never polish out smooth though it's actually gone all the way through the paint. I'm already a member on detailing world i'm called will_c on there though, it's a great site.
Difficult to tell from a photo, see you on there
Old 03 December 2007, 08:41 PM
scoobie_girl
Scooby Regular

i had a moped tire burn on my front bumper was quite bad i paid £50 to get mine sorted out sprayed etc at a proper spray garage
Old 04 December 2007, 11:20 AM
weso
Scooby Regular

By the looks of it you're looking at 70-90 quid I should think. That's what I would charge anyway (and no I'm not touting for business).
Oh and don't go to Halford they're sh*te.
And ignore all the knowalls on here that will tell you you need to bodyshop it and have the whole bumper painted as they have no idea what they are talking about
Cheers
Wes
Old 04 December 2007, 11:28 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by weso
And ignore all the knowalls on here that will tell you you need to bodyshop it and have the whole bumper painted as they have no idea what they are talking about
Cheers
Wes
Care to explain?
Old 04 December 2007, 11:33 AM
weso
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GazTheHat
Care to explain?
Theres been a couple of threads on here lately where people have had minor paint damage, and as a smart repairer I've given my opinion, only to have been royally flamed that smart repairs are sh*te and will fall off in a week etc. etc. and you should never use them and only have paint done in a bodyshop. One of these threads was about a stone chip FFS. And people were saying bodyshop it.
Just mildly irritating when everyone's an expert
Weso
Old 04 December 2007, 12:01 PM
BooSH
Scooby Regular

How does a smart repair work if you don't mind me asking ?
Old 04 December 2007, 12:06 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by weso
Theres been a couple of threads on here lately where people have had minor paint damage, and as a smart repairer I've given my opinion, only to have been royally flamed that smart repairs are sh*te and will fall off in a week etc. etc. and you should never use them and only have paint done in a bodyshop. One of these threads was about a stone chip FFS. And people were saying bodyshop it.
Just mildly irritating when everyone's an expert
Weso
I was just interested, as one of those threads is mine and i'm in that boat that the garage damaged my bumper.

I'm not questioning your work or anything, but if someone damaged your bumper, would you have a smart repair or be asking for the bumper to be fully resprayed?
Old 04 December 2007, 12:23 PM
weso
Scooby Regular

I was just interested, as one of those threads is mine and i'm in that boat that the garage damaged my bumper.

I'm not questioning your work or anything, but if someone damaged your bumper, would you have a smart repair or be asking for the bumper to be fully resprayed?
Someone (the wife) has damaged my bumper (twice ) and I've done blow ins on both of them, as I am confident in the products I use and my skills as a painter.
As I said in your post (I think) nearly every car that is sold by any dealer will have had a smart repair done to it at some point, in some cases even brand new cars that have been damaged in transit. I do work for my local Subaru Dealership, as well as many other main dealers in the area. Although I don't do it, I know the guy who does smart repairs for the local Bentley dealership, so even the real top end cars have them done!
Having said that, there are, as in any industry, differing levels of workmanship, and some work done by smart techs that I have seen is not great, and without naming names one of the most well known groups don't use the best quality paints/lacquers you can get, so the work by their guys may not always be up to scratch. At the same time, I am part of a franchise network, and cannot say whether everyone in the network's work is as good as it should be, I can only comment on mine and other guys I've seen.
Hope this makes some kind of sense.
Cheers
Wes
Old 04 December 2007, 12:26 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just for the record it wasn't Halfords themselves that were offering the service it was a franchise that they presumably sub-contracted to called 'Shine.' Not sure if this is the same everywhere.

Nick
Old 04 December 2007, 12:31 PM
weso
Scooby Regular

How does a smart repair work if you don't mind me asking ?
A smart (SMALL to MEDIUM AREA REPAIR TECHNIQUE - geddit?!?) repair is when you repair and paint only the damaged area, rather than the whole panel, meaning it can be done in a short time and at less cost, and also they are generally done from a mobile workshop in a van.
Once repaired, the area is painted and then the new paint is blended into the original, and then lacquered. With the scuff at the top of the post, I would probably lacquer the whole N/S of the bumper, and then fade out in the number plate area. 2 hours I reckon
Weso
Old 04 December 2007, 12:33 PM
weso
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick_Cat
Just for the record it wasn't Halfords themselves that were offering the service it was a franchise that they presumably sub-contracted to called 'Shine.' Not sure if this is the same everywhere.

Nick
Some do subcontract out, and I was not saying the 'Shine' were rubbish at all, I'm sure they are very good.
Back covering completed
Wes
Old 04 December 2007, 12:33 PM
BooSH
Scooby Regular

Where abouts are you based weso ? You sound like just the man to fix my bumper.
Old 04 December 2007, 12:38 PM
weso
Scooby Regular

Where abouts are you based weso ? You sound like just the man to fix my bumper.
I'm in sunny Norwich mate, so you're way out of my area, hence why I said I wasn't touting for work!!!
Have a look on our website to see if we have a guy near you if you like -
Revive mobile car paint bodywork repairs
Wes

Last edited by weso; 04 December 2007 at 12:39 PM. Reason: I can't spell...
Old 04 December 2007, 12:57 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Would the black with gold speckles be just as easy to smart repair?

Also, back to my original point, if it was yours, and someone else had done the damage, would you let them smart it? As you obvioulsy know that some jobs are not good enough.
Old 04 December 2007, 01:39 PM
Rossco_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobie_girl
i had a moped tire burn on my front bumper was quite bad i paid £50 to get mine sorted out sprayed etc at a proper spray garage
Sorry mate i almost spat my lunch out all over my monitor, how did you manage to get a moped tyre burn on your bumper? Did you mow down some wee chav? If so , congrats on that
Old 04 December 2007, 01:52 PM
weso
Scooby Regular

Would the black with gold speckles be just as easy to smart repair?

Also, back to my original point, if it was yours, and someone else had done the damage, would you let them smart it? As you obvioulsy know that some jobs are not good enough.
Yeah Black with gold flake just as Easy. Mines Black with blue flake, colour goes in easy.

Good point with regard to if your bumper was mine. I reckon I'd have a smart repair done, and if not happy with quality would ask to have it redone, either by a decent smart tech or full bumper respray.

What I wouldn't do is insist on a brand new bumper etc. etc. etc. because I've decided smart repairs are rubbish and will fall off when it next rains..

Lovely motor BTW

Wes
Old 04 December 2007, 03:43 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Thanks

What about the comments of a smart repair fading over time and becoming more noticeable?

I'm just concerned if i agree to a smart repair, lOOks OK, then a few months down the line doesn't.
Old 04 December 2007, 05:09 PM
BooSH
Scooby Regular

Also do you have to use some kind of filler on the bumper to smooth out the scuff first ?
Old 05 December 2007, 09:36 AM
weso
Scooby Regular

Thanks

What about the comments of a smart repair fading over time and becoming more noticeable?

I'm just concerned if i agree to a smart repair, lOOks OK, then a few months down the line doesn't.
Again it's down to the quality of materials used. I warrant all my repairs for 2 years, and I've never had a call from anyone whos repair has faded. However, if you use crappy cheap paint and a cheapo 1K lacquer then it may well fade.
Maybe be there when the guy does it and ask what he uses? If he's not using a decent 2K lacquer I'd tell him to bugger off away from my car .
Weso
Old 05 December 2007, 09:55 AM
weso
Scooby Regular

Also do you have to use some kind of filler on the bumper to smooth out the scuff first ?
Depends. With light scuffs like yours I reckon you could probably just flat it out and feather the damage.
With light scores or heavier scuffs I sometimes use a liquid plastic to help fill the low spots.
With heavier or a larger area damage a skim of filler is the only way!
Weso
Old 05 December 2007, 09:59 AM
scoobie_girl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rossco_
Sorry mate i almost spat my lunch out all over my monitor, how did you manage to get a moped tyre burn on your bumper? Did you mow down some wee chav? If so , congrats on that
lmao i wont get into that one mate