Sponsored by:

RedHotAnt? (off-topic)

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2000, 12:18 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I signed up with redhotant about 6 months ago to try and get a freephone number. My experience with this company has been nothing but trouble. They are completely crap if i give my 2p worth and have lost a around a 100 pounds (or whatever is was for the yearly service)

I have only ever been able to connect 3 times and both of those times were around 5am on a Sunday morning. I do not know if they have now changed their service but i know there were alot of angry people who were very unhappy.

I have always used AOL. I think they are absolutely fantastic and they offer a unlimited flat rate package which is basically 14 pounds a month and free 0800 access 24/7. I always get connected 1st time and at normal speed.

They are also about to launch AOL 6 software which will let isdn users connect through them.

Also, they offer a free trial service where you can try it for a month free and if you don't like it all you have to do is simply call them up and cancel the account.
Old 21 December 2000, 12:22 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Angry

To add to the above, RHA 's modems were a problem but i couldn't connect when the engaged tones were free as the modems would just kick me off from the other side
Old 21 December 2000, 12:43 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sounds not-so-good then.

I've tried connecting to AOL, but unsuccessfully so far - it dials up, connects, and then fails when 'requesting network attention'. Not sure why.

I don't particularly like AOL's proprietrary software, but as a stop-gap until other services surface next year it'd certainly do - particularly as I've been told that Win2K is properly supported in AOL6.0, a late beta of which is apparently available in preview form once I've signed up.

Perhaps I'll give 'em another go...
Old 21 December 2000, 07:16 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Question

Quick question for all you BBSers out there.

I'm thinking of signing up to RHA's unmetered service, as I need a dialup which uses a freephone number (so my daily surfing/email dial-up bill doesn't show on my works phone bill ). I've previously been subscribed to IG Click, but they've just cancelled their unmetered service.

Anyway, if anyone is using (or has used) the RHA service and can give me a decent idea of the levels of service, I'd really appreciate it. I've checked out the RHA reviews at
Old 21 December 2000, 08:06 AM
M_D_B
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Well, using a modem from a laptop, and Home Highway from home...
It can be very hit and miss, it has taken up to half an hour of engaged tone before connecting to a modem, and even then, the modems have not always worked. Their timeout doesn't appear to work properly on Home Highway (just like BT Internet's ).Recently, I have been able to dial in, but unable to logon (happens for a few hours every week or so). However, I am connected via RHA right now.
At the end of the day, it cost me £50 for a year when I signed up, so I'm not too distraught about a few connection problems, but I do subscribe to BT Internet and use them as 1st choice during their freephone no. hours. Certainly connecting during the day is easier than when everyone arrives home, and there are nowhere near the amount of problems that I encountered when I joined them. Some of my friends use them too, and despite any problems they encounter, are still relatively happy.
There is also the fact that unlike many of the other freecall ISPs, you do not have to specify which phone no. you will be calling from, something I needed, as I was working away from home most of this year.
Ultimately, if my renewel costs are under £60, I will definately stick with them, higher, and I will have to think about it.
Hope this helps,

Martin.
Old 21 December 2000, 08:47 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sounds fairly good.

As you mention, the important thing for me is that they don't require a BT account, since I'm dialling up from work - I have to have a freephone number (for some reason my boss gets crotchety about paying for an all-day local call, 5 days a week! ).

I don't mind a timed kick-off, or even having to retry a few times before successfully connecting, so it sounds like they may be okay for me.

I use
Old 21 December 2000, 02:30 PM
sgould
Scooby Regular

I am signed up to the RedHotAnt Superiour service and have been a memeber since May.

They have have some teathing problems, but now the service is excellent.

Connects within 1 or 2 attemps and fast pings for gaming online (esspecially compared to BT internet).

If you want to join hurry. Free until end of this year.

Trending Topics

Old 21 December 2000, 04:47 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SGould
Wouldn't it have been nice for RHA to TELL their customers about the number change? RHA NEVER answer email! :-(

For Mark
I signed up at £70 pa. Connection was ok if you dialed up during business hours & in the mornings. It cuts the line after 3 hours or so. You can dial back in though.

I changed to Plus Net 24/7 Surftime after the RHA phone number stopped answering, Surftime has been very good (although I understand not suitable for Mark).
Old 21 December 2000, 06:17 PM
wrx.co.uk
Scooby Regular

I have been using RHA for the last 4 months and they are crap. More engaged tones than any other ISP I have ever used. They can not be used as your main ISP, as they are so unreliable. I am using BT evenings and weekends at 9.99 and their service is very reliable, although a bit slow. Use RHA during the day signed up for a year at £80. Will be moving to an all day un metered service when they are available for non BT users.