Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question WRX versus Type R

Has this been seen yet??

Subaru Impreza twin test | Car Group Tests | Car Reviews | Auto Express
Old 22 November 2007, 08:26 PM
rcwhite
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont know what to make of the wrx but are auto express on honda pay role the new civic is far from good in the bends no rear independent suspension ye honda thats really moving on. its got its *** handed to it on top gear last week bye the old model type r.
Old 22 November 2007, 08:35 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Maybe that shows just how bad the new model is. If its that bad compared to the new Civic, what are Top Gear going to make of it when they get round to testing it!

Astonishing how bad the WRX is compared to the Type R in that test.

Another point, is 0-60 in 6.5 not really bad for an Impreza? and the Civic 0-60 in 7 is pretty poor aswell.

Would be interesting to know what the previous WRX tests, compared to the old Type R were for some sort of comparison.

STI will be completely different I would think.
Old 22 November 2007, 08:37 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I also noted that Top Gear slagged the Type R off badly - if the Type R kicks the WRX in the nuts we have a really bad car in the New Impreza
Old 22 November 2007, 08:43 PM
rcwhite
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
Maybe that shows just how bad the new model is. If its that bad compared to the new Civic, what are Top Gear going to make of it when they get round to testing it!

Astonishing how bad the WRX is compared to the Type R in that test.

Another point, is 0-60 in 6.5 not really bad for an Impreza? and the Civic 0-60 in 7 is pretty poor aswell.

Would be interesting to know what the previous WRX tests, compared to the old Type R were for some sort of comparison.

STI will be completely different I would think.
ye good point. think i remmber there being at test by evo or another mag a few years back s3,wrx,leon r. civic typ r.focus rs.

rs was first by a nats toger followed bye wrx wich i think they said was better back roads a to b followed i think by leon and civc

ps nice dc5 i want one.
Old 22 November 2007, 08:45 PM
rcwhite
Scooby Regular

yes PSL they gave it a good slating......
Old 22 November 2007, 09:10 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

ps nice dc5 i want one.
Cheers, its the other halfs car, so I dont get to drive it often. Totally different experience to the scooby, but I love it. Gets almost as much attention aswell. Its funny to see the looks of "what the **** is that" on people's faces
Old 22 November 2007, 09:17 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I've owned a civic Type-R and in the real world it's utter ****. Silly hard suspension and no beans outside of the vtec zone makes it prety naff
Old 22 November 2007, 09:38 PM
rcwhite
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
I've owned a civic Type-R and in the real world it's utter ****. Silly hard suspension and no beans outside of the vtec zone makes it prety naff
each to ther own mate i kind of liked mine but definatley a car that some people could not get.
Old 22 November 2007, 10:26 PM
Mr Bat
Scooby Regular

Will anyone buy one of these? What is it with that huuuuuge body roll? Hideous
Old 22 November 2007, 10:50 PM
New_scooby_04

"But where’s the progress over the old car?"

One could say exactly the same thing for the Civic, which, despite putting on weight didn't get any extra poke and doesn't handle as sweetly as the old one. The only plus point is the styling, which I think is much better relative to the old model, which was ungainly! Pity I cant say the same for the Scooby!

The fact is, that both the scooby and honda have already set high benchmarks in their respective genres, so it's not entirely reasonable to expect quantumn leaps forward! Autoexpress seem to have forgotten that the scooby has undergone a big transformation from saloon to hatchback and sits on a new chassis etc... also has a new and much improved interior etc.. as for running costs and emissions- for these types of cars, who gives a sh*t. Seriously!

As usual Autoexpress totally missing the point!

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 22 November 2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old 23 November 2007, 07:27 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

"More importantly, the Honda handles better", "it has a slicker gearbox and keener throttle response"

The Honda doesn't handle too well at all if you believe Top Gear, that new WRX must be pretty bad
Old 23 November 2007, 07:30 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
Totally agree, sold mine after 11 months of thrashing it.

dipster
Old 23 November 2007, 08:23 AM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

I've read several group tests of the Type R and it either comes 1st or last. I reckon it's a marmite car.

I drove a 1.8EX on 18"s and found the ride unbearable, the dash a mess and visibility appalling. I wouldn't want a new Civic if I was given one, yet I loved the old model.

It may be my age, but I don't want to drive everywhere at 6000rpm+, bouncing from one bump to the next, maybe some people do!
Old 23 November 2007, 10:17 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

didn't the old type r spank the new one? so how can it be arguably the best lol
Old 23 November 2007, 10:35 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Norman Dog
"More importantly, the Honda handles better", "it has a slicker gearbox and keener throttle response"

The Honda doesn't handle too well at all if you believe Top Gear, that new WRX must be pretty bad
Wouldn't count on it Normal. Don't forget, Jezza liked the bugeye WRX and preferred it to the Focus RS (a similarly raw car to the Honda, but with more omph)

Further to their "where's the progress comment" Haven't Subaru gone to great lengths to stress that they're not taking the "sharper and faster" approach as much as the "more refined, more grown up" I don't agreee with it, but I think they've succeeded. I eargerly await the Sti!

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 23 November 2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old 23 November 2007, 11:11 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Norman Dog
Even the new mazda out performed the wrx, only thing slower, 0-60, by 0.1s.

I think subarus future for the die hards rests on the new STi delivering.
Old 23 November 2007, 11:44 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rcwhite
each to ther own mate i kind of liked mine but definatley a car that some people could not get.
I had one before MY07 STi and it was a great car, good value for money I'd say.
Old 23 November 2007, 01:34 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

A mate of mine has an 04 civic and although he says it aint the best car in the world it is poles away from the new model which he says handles like a bucket of ****e in comparison. He told the dealer straight.
Old 23 November 2007, 01:56 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Interesting reading, thanks for the link.
Old 23 November 2007, 04:06 PM
mikepaul
Scooby Regular

Wink My experience of both cars

I had the old Type-R, nice car, by my current WRX 225 is miles faster.

Many on the forum know why I sold the Honda, 40K mile service was £1080! and it wasn't a cambelt change. Honda dealers charge £70-90 per hour labour and they seem very keen on changing parts. So I thought why now buy a Subaru and have a proper performance car.

I loved the Honda, but it costs a bomb to service, I would say more than a VW when you pass 30,000 things start needing adjusted or replaced.

There are so many sensor on the VTEC engine, if it's not serviced properly the engine will go pop like a turbo car.

My Subaru is close to 40,000 miles now and the engine is soo sweet, no problems, 100% reliability and service over 30k is £800 (1k, 10k,20k,30k),which includes new brake pads at the front.

Also Subaru dealers are brilliant North and South of England and only fix what needs to be fixed, they felt so guilty about the car needs new front pads at 30k they only charged for the parts, bless them!

I can say with complete honesty, the CTR wouldnt stand a chance against a stock WRX. I couldn't stay with a WRX in my CTR (vetec'ing in every gear) and that was on the straights of Milton Keynes.

I do miss the Honda build quality which is Audi quality.
Old 23 November 2007, 04:21 PM
alpha charlie
Scooby Regular

I sold my old Type R after 3 years of happy ownership, I did spend a fair amount of dosh upping the power and sorting the handling.
I do miss it but only till I get the STI out of the garage then its a distant memory!!
I dont miss the fatc that every boy racer wanted a pop at the lights, dont get that nowadays
Cheers
AC
Old 23 November 2007, 04:34 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I just can't see the looks of this car ever growing on me, the horrid little spotlights on the front and the plasticy grill are awful. Let's face it, whether this article misses the point or not, the following is hardly a write up of a car that's going to set the motoring world alight!

"While the Subaru has a better ride and more grip, it’s let down by poor economy and high emissions, and is more expensive to buy, own and run than its opponent here. The styling is questionable, the interior is drab and it can’t match the Civic for space or quality. The Impreza WRX simply doesn’t come across as being terribly modern or desirable.

More importantly, the Honda handles better. It feels lighter and more agile in the corners, has sharper and more communicative steering, plus superior brakes. Add in the fact that it has a slicker gearbox and keener throttle response, and it’s the Type R which is the more enjoyable car to drive – and that makes it the winner in this test."
Old 23 November 2007, 06:32 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mikepaul

Many on the forum know why I sold the Honda, 40K mile service was £1080! and it wasn't a cambelt change. Honda dealers charge £70-90 per hour labour and they seem very keen on changing parts. So I thought why now buy a Subaru and have a proper performance car.

I loved the Honda, but it costs a bomb to service, I would say more than a VW when you pass 30,000 things start needing adjusted or replaced.

There are so many sensor on the VTEC engine, if it's not serviced properly the engine will go pop like a turbo car.

My Subaru is close to 40,000 miles now and the engine is soo sweet, no problems, 100% reliability and service over 30k is £800 (1k, 10k,20k,30k),which includes new brake pads at the front.

Also Subaru dealers are brilliant North and South of England and only fix what needs to be fixed, they felt so guilty about the car needs new front pads at 30k they only charged for the parts, bless them!

I can say with complete honesty, the CTR wouldnt stand a chance against a stock WRX. I couldn't stay with a WRX in my CTR (vetec'ing in every gear) and that was on the straights of Milton Keynes.

I do miss the Honda build quality which is Audi quality.
Sounds like they were having your eyes out at Honda for that service mate as it costs no where near that much, I had all of mine done at Honda. The hasn't been a report of a VTEC engine failing since Honda started whacking them out I believe, its only when you start tinkering with them in a not so clever way that they start going pop.

The EP3 Type R gets to 100mph faster than a stock WRX mate, its been well documented, so in a straight to 100mph the Type R will win, throw bends in and what have you then forget it. Also in gear acceleraton at various speeds maybe be different and the WRX maybe faster, if your Type R didn't stay with a WRX at speeds upto 100mph then you may have had a duff motor

End of the day the CTR (EP3) is a good motor for what it is and there is a lot of fun factor to be had out of it, however, performance wise you aren't really going to get anything out of it unless you start adding JRSC or turbo's. The WRX can easily be tuned up into a monster with relatively little cash in comparison to the Type R.

G
Old 23 November 2007, 07:14 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

in my type r i can keep with my brother in his wrx he doesn't pull away and i don't gain they are very much on a par
Old 23 November 2007, 07:36 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

In what way is your anecdote about 2 old model cars in any way relevant to the subject in hand ie a new civic type R V a new Subaru Impreza?

I had an MK2 golf Gti compared to the E39 5 series I had later it was nowhere near as comfortable and neither did it cover ground as quickly. Does that add to the debate as well?????
Old 27 November 2007, 01:23 AM
mikepaul
Scooby Regular

Default WRX - More usable performance and idiot proof safety.

New car is same old beast, you have to rev the nuts of it (Type R MII) to get the performance; fluw a gear change an a granny in a Micra will pass you.

The WRX with the turbo woosh is much easier to drive fast.

Any muppet can drive a Scooby fast and safety, even if he drops the clutch in 2nd gear a 5krpm it will grip and go, only a fool can crash a 4WD. Dead easy in a FWD or RWD car!

Only someone with the skill of an F1 driver can get anywhere near the potential of the Tyre R performance with God like near perfect gear changes or else it aint that quick a car (that was my experience; for that challenge the Type R is rewarding to get near the quoted performance figures)

The CTR will not do 0-100 in under 16 seconds thats complete nonsense unless Michael Sch drives it. Though someone posted something on
Your-Tube about a Golf TDI 170 achieving a 0-100 in 16.1 secs but it has 260ib/ft torque; even this I doubt this from a FWD Diesel.
Old 27 November 2007, 02:23 AM
saxperience
Scooby Regular

New car is same old beast, you have to rev the nuts of it (Type R MII) to get the performance; fluw a gear change an a granny in a Micra will pass you.

The WRX with the turbo woosh is much easier to drive fast.

Any muppet can drive a Scooby fast and safety, even if he drops the clutch in 2nd gear a 5krpm it will grip and go, only a fool can crash a 4WD. Dead easy in a FWD or RWD car!
What car wouldn't lose speed if you "fluw" a gear change?

Obviously you don't short shift while pushing the car
Old 27 November 2007, 07:34 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

You loved in it a previous thread

TX.

Originally Posted by pslewis
I also noted that Top Gear slagged the Type R off badly - if the Type R kicks the WRX in the nuts we have a really bad car in the New Impreza
Old 27 November 2007, 08:31 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

The word I used here was IF the Type R kicks the WRX ......

I haven't tested the Type R at all - I may do I may not, the WRX is a fantastic car IMHO

Quick Reply: WRX versus Type R