Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where would YOU cut spending to reduce fuel duty?

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2007, 07:26 AM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Question Where would YOU cut spending to reduce fuel duty?

Where taxpayers money is spent : 2007 Pre-Budget Report and Comprehensive Spending Review summary

Makes interesting reading eh?

Personally, I'd abolish social security payments for lazy, idle non-working barstewards
Old 19 November 2007, 08:14 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we should adopt something alone the ideas of what America does with only get 5 years of benefits, Would certainly help with the generations that are brought up living all the time on benefits !
Stopping the immigrants using the NHS and all the free housing etc for imigrants would be a good idea as well !

Richard
Old 19 November 2007, 08:21 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the immigrants who employ British people and who do jobs that people in this country are either too lazy or unskilled to do?

Last edited by cster; 19 November 2007 at 08:22 AM. Reason: syntax error
Old 19 November 2007, 08:26 AM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster

What about the immigrants who employ British people and who do jobs that people in this country are either too lazy or unskilled to do?
?? Not sure i follow, what about them, i agree all shouldnt be tainted with the same brush, but its a valid point. The NHS has a capacity, which in some instances is used by people that have come to the UK and dont or havent started to pay tax. Should all the free resources be available to all, unless you a uk citizen having paid a set amount already?
Old 19 November 2007, 08:58 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Invalidity Benefit ...... CUT dramatically!!

This was used in the 80's and early 90's by the Tories to massage the Unemployment figures - the Miners etc. were placed on this instead of the dole for Political reasons.

Not having a 'pop' at the Tories - just saying what happened. This benefit needs a big overhaul and it looks like the Government are starting to look at it.
Old 19 November 2007, 09:21 AM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

I think the starting point should be to stop instigating / fighting unecessary and expensive wars ... which in the recent past have only served to destabalise the oil producing region of the world and push prices up massively.
Tony, what were you thinking
Old 19 November 2007, 09:45 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

prob gonna get flamed for this but here goes,

assilum seekers, there case will be heard in two weeks, if refused they will be shipped straight to the airport/port and made to leave the country, any ilegal imigrants will be kicked out, no ifs no buts, if you want in you go about it properly.

bring back the death penalty, or allow prisoners serving none release prison sentances to top themselves.

get rid of half the red tape that happens as far as public spending goes, y do you need a commity to decided if something should be decided upon, for example the olympic stadium, get a decent contractor to take the contract, let them do there work without the government sticking there nose in making things cost 3 times as much.

now that must be worth a good 2-3billion a year
Old 19 November 2007, 10:57 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Personally, I can't see that ANY cut in fuel duty would NEED a drop in spending.

At the moment, Lying Labour are into quite a large windfall as the price of a litre has risen, so has the VAT paid on it.

Surely, any decent chancellor would forgo this windfall, and reduce the duty with it? After all, they've slapped "windfall taxes" on quite a few others............

What did Gordon do? RAISED duty yet again

Alcazar
Old 19 November 2007, 01:02 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Bet you are glad that Labour abolished the Tory Fuel Escalator then?? Just imagine what you would be paying now, had the Tories still been in power? A guess? £2 a litre?
Old 19 November 2007, 01:04 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

let's see!

no work= no benefits full stop,get lazy dole dwelling scum off there ****'s and sweeping the streets.litter picking.cutting grass etc etc

non payment of national insurance=no health service for you

immigrants=off ya go,simple

wasting billions of pounds fighting wars we didnt start,nor didnt need to be involved in,just so the fat yanks can get there sticky hands on oil and enjoy a gallon of it for about £1.50

marcus
Old 19 November 2007, 01:15 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Welsh independence.
Old 19 November 2007, 01:30 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ethanrob
let's see!

no work= no benefits full stop,get lazy dole dwelling scum off there ****'s and sweeping the streets.litter picking.cutting grass etc etc

wasting billions of pounds fighting wars we didnt start,nor didnt need to be involved in,just so the fat yanks can get there sticky hands on oil and enjoy a gallon of it for about £1.50

marcus

The guy speaks sense
Old 19 November 2007, 01:30 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STiFreak
I think the starting point should be to stop instigating / fighting unecessary and expensive wars ... which in the recent past have only served to destabalise the oil producing region of the world and push prices up massively.
Tony, what were you thinking
That's right! Scrap the army, nazy, raf etc. Who needs national defense?
Old 19 November 2007, 01:44 PM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Not saying that ... but it would be a lot cheaper if, as the name suggests, they were used for defence and not fighting wars against a country that was no threat to the UK. All the fancy American millitery hardware the defence forces seem so keen to spend tax payers money on costs a bloody fortune and half the time it doesn't even work properly; not to mention that it is making some American companies very rich indeed. I don't see that as sensible spending!
Old 19 November 2007, 02:20 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Red face

Clamp down on the immigrants! A lot of those that work over here send there wages back to there own country so we loose out that way.
I would like to point out that I am unemployed atm. I sign on every fortnight whilst looking for work. I go to the job centre in my scoob as I have to travel out of town (about 10 miles each way). I sign on and come home. Now I only sign on because I DON'T GET ANY MONEY from the government because I didn't earn enough money between April 2004 and April 2005 so all I am signing on for is my stamp because if by a miracle there is a state pension when I reach 65 (29 years time) I will get a tiny amount of money. As I sign on under contribution based JSA (Job Seekers Allowance) I don't get any other help what so ever. When I last spoke to a woman at the Job centre I said about if I was a foreigner I would get JSA and more, she replied I can not comment on that!"

Another thing to help out our sorry looking country would be to tax foreign trucks that come in to our country! Or charge them for using and messing up our roads that our car tax money don't seem to be spent on. They come over here, don't pay any road tax or anything else and they normally fit huge diesel tanks to there trucks so they don't even have to get ripped off by our prices like we do

I don't know about anyone else here, but I do actually feel like I am being treated how the foreigners should be treated

And all foreigners are not the same and some are quite genuine

Rant over for now
Old 19 November 2007, 02:27 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

travel to the job centre to sign on in your scoob

marcus

marcus
Old 19 November 2007, 03:03 PM
MazingerZ
Scooby Regular

I am a legal inmigrant, who went and paid full fees at a univerisity in the UK, got a decent job in the oil industry, pay as much tax, N.I, council tax, don't get any sort of allowance or housing (not that I need any) and fill the petrol tank of my scoob here in this country just like everybody else, I sometimes wish i could bring a petrol pipeline from my home country where I could fill the 50 litre tank with a mere £1.

I do feel that I am countributing to the UK economy, just like the locals do and actually I am fillling a position which is under the skill shortage category on the Home Office website.

everybody has a choice and that is why there are so many expats in the oil industry leaving this country.

So, not all inmigrants have to bear your anger....some of us are not too bad.

more to the point If they keep the spending under control and not borrow so much we wouldn't need to pay £31bn in interest (which is almost as much as we spend on defence!). Then you may be able to spend more than £20bn on transport (no wonder public transport is ****). Better get off my political horse before I get really carried away.

But as Top Gear said last night, petrol is (comparatively) cheap (when compared to bull's semen!)

my 2p

Last edited by MazingerZ; 19 November 2007 at 03:19 PM. Reason: *
Old 19 November 2007, 03:25 PM
mikepaul
Scooby Regular

There are a number of migrants who add signifigantly to the UK growth.

We need to look at the long term "spongers" and get them back to work.

I used to live in Reading, my neighbour sat around drinking Vodka (regularly saw her hammered at 6pm) all day and had a cosy life and a barking dog to ensure she unpset the neighbours (or was this a tacticle ploy by the house association to get everyone to vote Tory), not having to even consider work as she had children under 16.

I know this is an issue every government has tried to tackle, I'm not suggesting the spanish system of no dole money, but those on long term unemployment should at least do charity work unless they are phyically, not vodka disabled.

Get rid of the glut of useless civil servants (since 1997) and spend money from speed camera revenues to fund police patrol cars and get dangerours car and lorry drivers off the road; ban these idiots.
Old 19 November 2007, 03:30 PM
SetoN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STiFreak
Not saying that ... but it would be a lot cheaper if, as the name suggests, they were used for defence and not fighting wars against a country that was no threat to the UK.
Isnt Afganistan home of the Taliban? The people we are fighting there are radical Islamics who this week went into a school and executed a boy of 16 for teaching his friends English. They would like nothing more to come over here and blow them selves up for what they belive him. So shall we pull out? Let Bin Ladin re-group them all again and plan another 9/11?

I think not.

Iraq is another story. But as its mainly U.S there now, let them worry about that.

Im all for giving the troops my taxes, if it keeps them alive with new equip etc, then i dont mind.

SetoN
Old 19 November 2007, 03:30 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MazingerZ
But as Top Gear said last night, petrol is (comparatively) cheap (when compared to bull's semen!)
For a Millionaire TV Presenter it is. He wouldn't matter to him if it went up to £5 per Litre.

The rest of us however, aren't Millionaires and do feel the rises.

It does seem more than ever that we are just working to pay tax. Save some? They Tax you on that. Die with savings? Tax please.

Labours way is TAX TAX TAX.
Old 19 November 2007, 04:02 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The "goverment" want the working mans pension age to be 68 to save money and want you to work till you snuff it instaed of takin a pension

If all Civil servants (who dream up this Cr4p) retire at 68 instead of 55 and that would save an absolute fortune probably enough that we would never have to pay fuel tax at all

Tony

Tony
Old 19 November 2007, 06:11 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

well what i think should stop is them coming over from other countries they only have to work here i thinks its 6months and they get child beni and others for there kids that live in another country who else thinks this takes the p*ss? would we get this if we went to anyother country to work? no i think not!
Old 19 November 2007, 06:47 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

I seem to of stumbled across a Daily Mail readers convention

Honestly guys think about things a bit harder will you.

Abolish imigrants I hear you cry - thats a great idea, except your taxes would probably have to go up to plug the hole in the ecconomy that would be left, the NHS would fall to bits as it largely being run by migrant WORKERS (you know the sort of jobs you wouldn't want to do).

Stop wars - thats a great idea, how do you propose doing that exactly?

Kill of all lazy people - thats brilliant, infact anyone who is a burden on the system should be got rid of; Pensioners are a real drain, and there's going to be a lot more of them in the comming decade!

All this just so we can drive around in our inefficient Japanese Saloons

If it's that bad then buy something cheper to run.

There thats my rant against intolerance over
Old 19 November 2007, 07:11 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Currently the goverment are raking in a very large fortune due to the higher price for a barrel of oil from the oil out of the North Sea. Higher oil prices = more revenue - that doesn't include the duty or VAT they charge.
So with this extra money they could drop the duty on fuel at no loss to them....
Old 19 November 2007, 07:12 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Martin2005
I seem to of stumbled across a Daily Mail readers convention

Honestly guys think about things a bit harder will you.

Abolish imigrants I hear you cry - thats a great idea, except your taxes would probably have to go up to plug the hole in the ecconomy that would be left, the NHS would fall to bits as it largely being run by migrant WORKERS (you know the sort of jobs you wouldn't want to do).

Stop wars - thats a great idea, how do you propose doing that exactly?

Kill of all lazy people - thats brilliant, infact anyone who is a burden on the system should be got rid of; Pensioners are a real drain, and there's going to be a lot more of them in the comming decade!

All this just so we can drive around in our inefficient Japanese Saloons

If it's that bad then buy something cheper to run.

There thats my rant against intolerance over
I kind of half agree with Martin's sentiments, but the fact remains that honest hard-working people are taking a bit of a tax hit at the moment.

You can't stop wars, but you can decide not to get involved with hugely expensive, pointless and disastrous military adventures (Iraq) just to keep the US happy;
Pensioners are not a drain - their hard work (and sacrifices in past wars) are why we still have (some) freedoms in this country; pensioners don't have any choice to get old, but are a lot of young, healthy lazy scroungers around who do have a choice whether to work and should be made to get off their ***** and earn a living.
We do need some skilled immigrants and always will - however, like it or not, a sudden large influx of unskilled immigration can cause real problems for the indigenous population, depressing wages of the less skilled - great if you're one of the chattering middle classes on £60K+ a year wanting cheap Eastern European labour for your house extension, but not so great if you're an ordinary working man needing to earn a reasonable income just to keep your head above water and pay taxes.
Old 19 November 2007, 07:13 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

There are many factors to this, most of the failings have already passed and it's hard to fix them now.

Due to whatever political handshaking going on we have had an influx of immigrants, not a problem in itself, they have a right to their humanity just as much as us. Most who do come over are very hardworking, even more so than many brits simply because they have a need to survive where most of us brits have become lazy.

It's hard to admit but it's true, easy money through benefits (giving those who genuinely earned their rights to benefits a bad name). The immigrants work twice as hard, it's a fact and I have seen it first hand, hence why many employers (who don't readily admit it) will employ the cheaper labour as they know the quality of work will be just as good.

Social problems: we have them by the dozens and they are perpetuating through each generation getting worse and worse - why? mainly boredom, there is nothing to do so people just find ways to fill the time (usually through the wrong means). Again it becomes a catch 22 where the people who are looking for work are not finding any due to the work slots being filled by cheaper labour - hence the anger towrads immigrants.

So now we are at a point where whatever the goverment tells is is a load of tosh, the mistake has been made, short of completely shutting off immigration and telling other countries to f-off it will be very hard to control it.

Then you have the detention centres (lets not kid ourselves, they are prisons) for the immigrants, the system can't deal with them so they are put into these places in the hope that something may happen or people will forget.

We have a serious problem with the NHS, very serious. I wouldn't be surprised if this area alone was looked at, many other issues would end up being resolved. The NHS needs proper funding and new management from the top down to pull it into gear and run it as a service to the public.

Give the youth something to do, educate them, nourish their minds so they develop oppertunities and most of all - gain some self pride (the core problem with 90% of the out of control generations, they have nothing to prositive to give them some self pride so they choose to rebel and go their own direction).

But again the problem here, we have exported our core industry out to the masses, leaving just companies that operate services driven by induviduals not based in the UK! Our engineering died a death, the IT sector is dying thanks to the outsourcing going on and how long before virtually everything we have that is uniquely british is outsourced?

Cut the f'ing taxes. Bottom line the goverment cannot prove where all the tax money is going, fuel for example, 80% is tax (divided up between the various hands in the cookie jar), thats a lot. Then you have to realise you get paid a salary, which is taxed, you then pay for any services, which are also taxed, you purchase items that are taxed (whether apparent or not) and so on until everything you earn is not really yours from the start.

Then you have the mounting debts, the majority of the nation are slaves to debt in one form or another, only a handful of people are able to break out of this cycle (took me years to get myself free) hoewever there is always the danger of being sucked back in. This in turn creates serious socialogical problems that manifest as many forms of mental illnesses (we have the highest number of cases), clinical illness brought about from being stuck in the rat race (where in the past we were more physical in our lifestyle and thus more healthier etc).

Thats just scratching the surface, way too many mistakes have happened and the goverment is simply not able to cope anymore. All it takes is some proper investment in one area, one problem at a time but the goverment won't do that because they have too many commitments, financially and politically to other people/companies/countries/war etc that it's almost impossible to filter the resources down properly.

What would be great is if the politicians agreed not to get paid for one year (and they could survive easily), imagine the savings, you could reinvest that back down into the country with better rail lines for starters (jesus we have an abysmal rail system), better infrastructure (look at european countries, they are leading the way, should be the other way around) etc.

Wishful thinking at best guys, unfortunately if anything was going to happen it would have already.
Old 19 November 2007, 08:02 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lunar tick
I kind of half agree with Martin's sentiments, but the fact remains that honest hard-working people are taking a bit of a tax hit at the moment.

You can't stop wars, but you can decide not to get involved with hugely expensive, pointless and disastrous military adventures (Iraq) just to keep the US happy;
Pensioners are not a drain - their hard work (and sacrifices in past wars) are why we still have (some) freedoms in this country; pensioners don't have any choice to get old, but are a lot of young, healthy lazy scroungers around who do have a choice whether to work and should be made to get off their ***** and earn a living.
We do need some skilled immigrants and always will - however, like it or not, a sudden large influx of unskilled immigration can cause real problems for the indigenous population, depressing wages of the less skilled - great if you're one of the chattering middle classes on £60K+ a year wanting cheap Eastern European labour for your house extension, but not so great if you're an ordinary working man needing to earn a reasonable income just to keep your head above water and pay taxes.
I agree (with everything apart from the wars bit, but let's not get into that)

I does sadden me to read a lot of the comments on here, we are as a nation that is becoming increasingly hysterical, and we are all too quick to scapegoat certain sections of our society.
Old 19 November 2007, 08:50 PM
High Explosive
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Yep that sounds about right Its not just about oil and drug yes thats the main reason but other things fall out of this, that are far more complicated that a couple of comments on a forum. I can say this with knowing and seeing of the lives the forces help while on ops. If thats not enough having spent 6 month on ops and not having a good time if you know what i mean, to come home and have leave withdrawn because the firemen have decided they dont get enough pay which before the went on strike was more than most young lads in the forces get is a joke. But they choose to join i just think at time them and other elements nurses at time are taken for granted the question is we pay the armed forces and nurses more what do we loose? imigration is a problem and always will be i simple way is to bring out some sort of id card DNA etc this will help IMHO...
Old 19 November 2007, 11:52 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

I would scrap the NHS as it bleeds the country dry - make it like USA with medical insurance etc.

Secondly I would control handouts (benefits) I would issue coupons rather than money which can only be redeemed using a photo id card, I would automatically deduct the following from their coupon allowance

1) NI (if i decided to keep the nhs)
2) council tax (no discounts here)
3) any fines / court costs
4) housing costs
5) house insurance
6) benefits tax (a charge would be made for administration of the above)

If these people apply for road tax then a new rate will be applied which is £2000 per year.

Children will be charged @ £50 per week per child.

This will be the voluntry scheme, anybody not wishing to take part may apply for a job.
Old 20 November 2007, 06:58 AM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ethanrob
let's see!

marcus

Lot of sense there..

Read this yesterday and didnt post until had time to think about it.

NHS has got to a place we can cut costs...

Quick Reply: Where would YOU cut spending to reduce fuel duty?