Sponsored by:

Proud Owner Of A Classic STI

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2007, 06:39 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proud Owner Of A Classic STI

Well I've decided to go ahead and buy my first Scooby. Went to MIRMotors in Bradford to pick her up.

Well I put a deposit down a fortnight ago and now I've got a 97 WRX STI V5.

Noticed a couple of things I need to do.

1. Need to convert the Speedo reading so it will show what speed I'm doing in MPH not KMH, hows this done.

2. The Scooby has mudflaps which the dealer fitted but when turning the wheels are touching the flaps. Do any of u hav/had the same problem and how do I remove them.

3. Probably will try and get a remap so the engine can work with Super unleaded. The guy said I can buy capsules from Halfords which gives the fuel a octane boost. But it would be safer to remap it. What do you think?

4. The audio system is a double din Pioneer Satnav/CD DVDPlayer. Unfortunatley its all in Japanese. So I'm going to replace with a similar product but if its single din I should be able to get a facia to fill the gap.

Anyway I love the car and just love the noise of the engine and exhaust.
Old 17 November 2007, 06:51 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I take it you'll be wanting the speed limiter taken out too This will be done the same time as the mph conversion, surely the garage can do this for a nominal fee?
All the points listed are very easily acheived. Take the mudflaps off, they are no use unless you are a rally driver. Fill up with V-power and you won't need a remap. Learn Japanese for the stereo Just have a fiddle about with the settings and you'll soon blunder your way around it.
Old 17 November 2007, 06:54 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

if its a 97 then its not a version 5 either its a late version 3 or version 4 on a 97
Old 17 November 2007, 08:01 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

Yep I'm going to get rid of the mud flaps just hope they are screws then it will be easy.
I will buy a Japanese bird of internet to be my wife and she can translate the stereo. I will probably change it anyway as I can't remove the head unit. Other day some scum broke into my mum's car and nicked a bar of chocalate.

So how can I find out what version the car is. I'm not bothered if it's a V4.
Old 17 November 2007, 09:08 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

differences are on the engine the coil pack sits centre on a V3/4 but offset to the right on a V5/6,they have phase 2 engines,late V4 and V5 have the facelift interior,leather gear surround (sad but i prefer the later one) and momo steering wheel.V5 have the 99 facelift front bumper,grille,lights,indicators and bigger rear spoiler.See my scooby pics as mine is a V5.Its not the white one they have on their website with the sold on it is it?

Last edited by exvaux; 17 November 2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 17 November 2007, 09:09 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

you can also buy a band expander off ebay to increase the range of frequencies on the stereo to pick up uk stations
Old 17 November 2007, 09:18 PM
CHUNKY.MONKEY.
Scooby Regular

mate i had same probs with stereo i put a uk one in and just went stright to subaru dealer and brought a double din converter pannel that slips in only about £20
Old 17 November 2007, 09:39 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't use capsules to boost octane they use iron oxide[rust] and have a very bad rep and are liable to do more damage.

Use millers cvl turbo or nitrous formula booster

Find OCTANE BOOSTER - NITROUS RACE FORMULA (6 RON) 300ml on eBay within, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 21-Nov-07 13:56:15 GMT)
Old 17 November 2007, 09:40 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

dp
Old 18 November 2007, 07:08 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

Yep mine is the late V4 as i've got the leather gear surround and the momo steering wheel.
I will not bother with the capsules it didn't tickle my fancy. I will just use super unleaded or remap.

Still not sure what to do with stereo system yet. Inclined to replace it with one of them pioneer system where it has a motorised monitor but I think I will still need a faceplate.

Does anyone know if the pioneer will recieve tv channels? It will come in useful when I'm stuck on M1.
Old 18 November 2007, 07:31 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

A faceplate to turn it into single din imo would be too much hassle.

Most seem to fit some part from the forrester, like some sort of compartment.

I fitted an autoleads corsa single din box from halfords.

About £14 ish and fits a treat plus having a second cubbyhole is great.

Your car should be fine on vpower but id advise taking her to a garage to check for det before thinking a remap is necessary, it might not be.
Old 18 November 2007, 07:35 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

Well I'm thinking of taking her to Scoobybits next weekend to sought out the speedo (get the convertor, so I will ask if they can check for det.

At the moment I'm finding every reason I can to go and hav a drive.
Old 18 November 2007, 09:41 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Scoobybits is a good place to take your car mate. I've known Jason for donkeys years now and wouldn't dream of taking my car to anyone else.
Old 18 November 2007, 09:41 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

Kingtiger, where abouts you from?
Old 18 November 2007, 10:57 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

I live in Bridlington so Scoobybits ain't that far from me like. Can only go on weekend as during the week a live down near oxford due to work. Come home at weekend see.
Old 19 November 2007, 11:01 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Went to look at a Lancia EVO2 at MIR. Sadly it was in very poor condition. Wasn't impressed with the stock tbh.

Hope your car is OK.
Old 20 November 2007, 11:52 AM
Bicco
Scooby Regular

Most motor factors will do the double din adaptors. Pritty straight forward to fit.

P.S. - If you remove the mud flaps, can i buy em off ya? (if theyre in good nick)
Old 24 November 2007, 06:41 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

When I went to pick up my Scooby on the 17 of this month when the guy was about to reverse my car he handed a set of keys to someone having a look at Lancia EVO2. The car is running fine so far touch wood had her at my local garage who hav said the engine is running fine.

They removed my mudflaps for me. Sorry they arn't for sale as they hav been binned due to the rear flaps having been badly worn due to them touching my tyre.

Well I went to MIR Motors as from reading a thread saying they were a good company. A few things that sought of found funny paid the money and got a normal till receit (my Prelude I had a A4 listing loads of stuff like warrenty).
The bloke said there was a Convertor on it, it hasn't. The fog light i.e a bulb painted red in my reverse light with wiring (don't work, brought a external fog light).

But other than that it seems fine. I suppose they are little things but would be helpfull if I didn't have to do it myself. Rang them up and he said they didn't hav to do it as it was over 10 years old.