Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have experience of the Evo 6 RSX?

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2000, 02:48 AM
Bagpuss
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I know this isn't really a Scooby related question, but I'm hoping that somebody may be able to help.

A friend of mine is currently considering getting an Evo 6. He can't stretch his finances to the GSR, so was considering the RSX.

From what I understand the RSX is based on the RS model, and hence has no AYC or ABS. It does however get decent seats, air con., electric windows and a cat.1 alarm.

My friend is not too concerned about the lack of AYC, but he is worried about having no ABS.

Does he have any real cause for concern, or are the limits before lockup so large that only stupidity or a major emergency will cause a problem?

Personally, I would be very cautious about taking on a car with such high performance that didn't have ABS, but that's just me.

I'd really appreciate some input from people with real experience of the car.

Thanks,

Andy.

Old 19 December 2000, 09:49 AM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Hello Bagpuss,
A friend of mine has an Evo VI RSX with the full "Extreme" engine modifications as well as the RS450 AP 6 pot front / 4 pot rear brake upgrade, and I must confess to it being one of the best cars I have ever had the pleasure of driving.

The chassis is so sure footed and the steering so quick (1.6 turns!) to enable you to catch it, that you would have to be extremely aggressive with the controls to get into trouble. Not having the AYC means that you can feel exactly what the car is doing and it responds to driver input immediately and you can be a real hooligan with the car and powerslide it with opposite lock like with rwd. The only thing that I didn't like was that it could still be made to understeer, but to do this you would have to barrel into a corner way, way too fast and it would push the front wide. If you reduced the entry speed to a sensible level, the car would respond accordingly and could be powered out the other side with a whiff of opposite lock (Snetterton).

Personally I didn't find the lack of ABS a problem, but I know Simon has had one sticky moment which flat spotted the tyres, but that had more to do with the silly speed he was doing on a dual carriageway and someone pulling out in front from the inside lane, than anything else...

I never thought I could be swayed away from the Cossies, but this is one car that I could live with and cope with the 200bhp deficit, as it is just SO much fun to drive.
Best regards
Mike R
Old 19 December 2000, 10:45 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have owned a GSR VI and now a Mak and I would say that ABS is almost an essential part of any respectable package. I would say that applies to any car actually. ABS has got me out of many sticky situations, butyou should never rely on it, only treat it as an aid if things do go wrong.

As to the RSX, I would preferably go for a second hand GSR, you can pick them up for well under 25k now. AYC makes things so much fun, ask anyone who has driven it, but dont listen to the comments from those that havent. It isnt a be all end all to computer controlled entertainment, but it does allow you to exploit the semi-limits of the car within the safety of its limits. A colleague of mine test drove an RSX (he owns a GSR) and said he liked the safety provided by his GSR.

Finally, I would avoid white...depreciation on white Evo VI's are really bad.

Hope this helps.
Cem
Old 19 December 2000, 01:19 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Talking

I don't believe it Andy.. the lease company are willing to put that on their books then!?

To think the car scheme still allows such cars, despite my efforts when I was perminant staff there!

Still will never get over the look on my managers face when I put a wing mirror on her desk that my mate had kindly taped back together... I said "Morning, I appear to of had a slight mishap at the weekend, heres (whats left of) my car".. doh!

Hope you get either and EVO or P1 sorted soon mate.

take it easy, Alex
Old 19 December 2000, 03:28 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

tricky one..

it depends on the skill level of the driver.

For road driving ABS is incredibly useful. I personally prefer not to have it, but there are definitely *some* situations where I will not be as safe as if I had it.

I personally love the RS models. Incredible performance, great front end grip, superb brake feel... they are a really chuckable car...

but I wouldn't recomend them to everybody..

ABS does all sorts of things apart from stopping the wheels from locking up.. it will reduce the oversteer effects of heavy braking when steering.. RS's are very prone to swaping ends under heavy trail braking.

If the driver is not *either*, very competent behind the wheel, *or* willing to drive very carefully all the time, and know that braking is not going to be that safe, then I would recommend against one.

At the end of the day it is an incredibly powerful car with all the driver aids taken away.

Cheers

Simon
Old 19 December 2000, 03:36 PM
Matt Oz
Scooby Regular

Smile

Bagpuss,

The first time I drove a mates RS Sprint was at the 'Ring, and it was possibly the best drive of my life!!( 22B excepted of course! )

The car was confindence inspiring and without AYC and ABS it seemed to handle beautifully.

The RS has a much improved turn in over any Scoob, even those with bump-steer mods, and it slides ever so progressively.

I have to say that it converted me from the TypeR that I used to own. I would recommend ABS on any car, but it didn't seem to matter in the dry, as you could hold the excellent Brembos on the verge of lock-up.

A brilliant car. Highly recommended.

Matt