Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overtaking. - what are the rules on speed?

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2000, 01:55 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Something thats bugging me, just wondered to what extent you can justify exceeding the speed limit whilst over taking?

Any thoughts??

Cheers, Alex
Old 18 December 2000, 01:59 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Cool

Exceeding the speed limit is never, ever justified. You should take the train instead. Far quicker and safer.
Old 18 December 2000, 02:01 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Mr Evil,

Unfortunately, you can't justify exceeding the speed limit whilst overtaking - however, it's considered safest if you spend the least amount of time on the "other" side of the road so get it done as quick as poss. Just don't do it when the cops are watching - the rest of the time, as long as it's safe, go for it!!

[This message has been edited by mutant_matt (edited 18 December 2000).]
Old 18 December 2000, 02:05 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

You can't do it......

You'll get nicked for it no matter what your excuses are.

[This message has been edited by RB170 (edited 18 December 2000).]
Old 18 December 2000, 02:09 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Unless of course you're Jack Straw's driver, or David Beckham ... I wonder how many of us would get away with the "I was only speeding because I considered my personal safety and security were at risk" line ...?
Old 18 December 2000, 02:09 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Red face

I'm screwed... wait for the NIP then...

Picture this, white van, A road, single carriage way... queue of traffic behind me, van in front of me, he slows to 40 whilst going up hills, up to 60 whilst going down hills.. breaking for slight corners averaging 50 tops.. clear weather conditions, no excess water on the roads... after 10 minutes of this, fed up, but looking for a safe over taking point...

Come over the top of a hill, long straight, visability of the road ahead for about 3/4 of a mile or more... no cars on-coming..
so pull out put my foot down.. pull in, start to slow down, see the police car sitting in a lay by ahead, hit the breaks harder down to 60 ish...

I keep forgetting how quickly the car can accelerate from 50...

Think they were using a laser gun...

[This message has been edited by DrEvil (edited 18 December 2000).]
Old 18 December 2000, 02:15 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Did they not see you overtaking the van then? Did you not mention this and appeal to their discretion? I got let off doing 45 in a 30 once on my bike because I was actually slowing down to 30 from the national, I just hadn't done it by the time I hit the 30 sign. The traffic cop let me off when I apologised, admitted I was wrong but said that I was slowing down and would aim to be doing 30 by the sign next time (and now I do!).

Trending Topics

Old 18 December 2000, 02:27 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

They didnt stop me, assumed they were using a video type hand held unit... could be wrong... time will tell.

Definitely a hand held one though, as they were 'resting' it on the roof of their car...

Old 18 December 2000, 02:35 PM
sgould
Scooby Regular

When I was taking my driving lessons and theory test, only 4 years ago, like most people I know, we were told that you are allowed to speed to overtake. Problem was we were told that it was a grey area and know body knew much about it. We were told getting back into the 1st or 2nd lane was safer than having someone driving about 2 inches from your back bumper, so speeding to get back into another lane was OK.

How useful driving lessons were. Maybe they should just shut up. And people wander why youngsters drive ****.
Old 18 December 2000, 03:06 PM
Paul M
Scooby Regular

I have known people to be able to get away with this, as long as they get back to the speed limit as quickly and safely as possible so, 400yds after manouvre, 1/2 mile and its probably trouble. Very grey area.
Old 18 December 2000, 03:07 PM
Paul M
Scooby Regular

PS. If you dont get an NIP within 14 days your clear!!
Old 18 December 2000, 03:17 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Paul, guess I'll wait and see.. and then work out what to do if I get one.
Old 18 December 2000, 03:46 PM
Paul M
Scooby Regular

My last problem was a an NIP for going through a red light from super-intendent who was on the other side of road, I believed I was innocent, so I pleaded not guilty on the NIP and asked for more information to be supplied to me, they didnt and *****'d it up , then got a letter to say that due to a 'clercial' error the case was being dropped. Moral is, if it's the slightest bit grey, dont give in, they'll usually drop it as a wate of their resource!
Old 18 December 2000, 05:19 PM
kryten
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR><B>Originally posted by DrEvil:
visability of the road ahead for about 3/4 of a mile or more... no cars on-coming..
[/quote]

Of course you may need to be prepared for them to say if you could see for 3/4 of a mile, you didn't need to speed .....

I also had a complaint dropped: got a NIP but no indication of car I was claimed to have undertaken and 'annoyed'.

Phoned local station and told they would get back to me. Went for taped interview two months after the incident and they still didn't know the make/model/colour of the other car.

They tried to phone the complainant but he wasn't in. So they did the interview anyway and within 2 days I had a letter saying they weren't going to proceed.
Old 18 December 2000, 05:28 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Alex

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Paul M:
<B>PS. If you dont get an NIP within 14 days your clear!![/quote]

Not wishing to get your hopes up, I think it's 14 WORKING days!

Good luck, hope they didn't get you!

Andy
Old 18 December 2000, 05:47 PM
NIGE K
Scooby Regular

Wink

Check this out for some cool anti radar/laser info.
Old 18 December 2000, 08:41 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Question

Laser Jammers are on very dodgey ground legally. Some of the new laser guns can break thru the jammer and flag to the policeman that you've got one. I'd rather have 3 points than be done on attempting to pervert the course of justice.

No Idea how widespread these new guns are. I know the standard LTI20 can be jammed ok but not the newer Riegel ones.
Old 18 December 2000, 09:35 PM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Smile

All the obscure ones are coming out today!!

There is no mention in the overtaking section of the highway code about speed, but obviously you shouldn't need to exceed the speed limit by that much to clear the vehicle and restore your safety zone. If you have been nabbed the NIP will be sent to the registered keeper of the vehicle within 14 days of the date of the alleged offence.

Cheers

S

(If anyone wants to look it up, the sections you need are 138 - 145. These sections apply to everyone, including the driver of a green MY00 yesterday, who decided it was 'amusing' to hit the brakes in front of me while I was driving an ambulance on a blue light run (don't ask ) and then as I started to overtake decided it would be even funnier to floor it. )
Old 18 December 2000, 10:18 PM
ca
Scooby Regular

Angry

Stuart H,

Grr. Are you able to 'advise' him [retrospectively] of his silliness?

C
Old 19 December 2000, 11:26 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Stuart H,

Point taken, thanks for the info too. I'll see you friday for a beer with the others.

Thanks to all that have replied, in retrospect, I don't think I could have been going really fast, but fast enough to 10%+2, so we will see.

Think I'll make sure I do one trackday a month, and tie some helium (sp!) balloons to my right leg for other times...

Thanks again, Alex