Help me decide which Impreza!

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2007, 08:39 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Help me decide which Impreza!

I've decided I want another Impreza

I've looked at various cars since selling my UK classic. Audi S4, S3 EVO5 and up until recently I had my heart set on a Lancia Delta EVO1.

I've driven the Delta a few times now and in all honesty I'm not keen on it. I know they are rally greats and owners rave about them etc but I just don't like them to drive as much as I did my Impreza.

I'm in sunny Ponte this week and checking out all the local importers which should be fun!

What I'm not sure about is what Impreza to get now. I love classics and my first choice is a P1. I know Type Rs have DCCD but in all honesty I don't believe I'm enough of a competent driver in order use it properly.

I also really like Prodrive Bugeyes. I know they are the ugly ones but I like them. Plus for the same money, you do get alot more car for your money compared to a P1.

My budget can get low mileage, low owner cars of both version of Impreza and I have always wanted a P1. I just think maybe the Prodrive bug is better value for money.

I know this sounds very classic Vs newage but its more what people will feel is the more iconic car. I won't be making the same mistake twice so buying a sub 40K one owner P1 would be the only ownership swap its ever likely to make
Old 03 November 2007, 08:46 PM
classicturbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck mate! I posted on here earlier asking for some advice on buying an import sti v3 and after 50 views i got next to nothing! Saying that i'd go fot the P1 all the time!
Old 03 November 2007, 08:47 PM
sime 71
Scooby Regular

go for the bug eye mate .i was looking at the p1 not to buy i was just lookin but subaru said they are good for about 63k then you need a rebuild but i aint to sure on that so dont quote me on it
Old 03 November 2007, 08:49 PM
amego
Scooby Regular

p1 edd allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the way
Old 03 November 2007, 08:53 PM
sime 71
Scooby Regular

the p1's do look the dogs dangley's tho
Old 03 November 2007, 08:55 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More iconic id say the P1 anthough the Prodrive bug is actually rarer AFAIK

1000 P1's
750 Prodrive Bugs
Old 03 November 2007, 08:58 PM
blu scoob
Scooby Regular

buy one of those dear ones from IAN
Old 03 November 2007, 08:59 PM
badgerface123
Scooby Regular

Location: deepest darkest dorset ripping up the A30 in a red V5

the bugs r prob better value for money but the p1 is a dream car for many!
there are some great sti type r's for sale on here @ present and some say r better than the p1
but ive own a integrale and sometimes i think its the best car ive ever owned as much as i love my scooby
Old 03 November 2007, 08:59 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I am also on the look out too Edd.
Nothing quite does it like a Classic. They have that raw edge. Which the new ages began to lose as they had an identity crisis and edged slightly more over towards being a BMW and became neither.
I do however have moments of doubt everytime I get into a newage as they are just so much better screwed together and just fell that bit more solid. At 41 I am think....come on perhaps a new age is more suitable. But they still dont quite hit the spot when it comes to the driving experience for me.
So I would say Classic - because although the newages are great cars and in some respects are better cars (most certainly stiffer) I think you like me might always just be little bit disappointed.
Go for a well looked after P1.

WHY
Iconic a classic in the making if not already
2 Door
In the proper colour
Set up for UK roads
No DCCD - which for road driving as you have pointed out can be a positive thing (see my thread above how effective DCCD is for road driving)

So apart from the engine rebuild issue - which isnt an issue if you get one that has ben very well looked after...

...P1 P1 P1

Me well I have 7k not 10K so am looking for a thoughtfuly modified late facelift WRX MY99-00.

I still might hang out and go for a P1 myself. As this will be my third and probably last scooby purchase. I will probably keep this one for years now - but I said that last time LOL

Steve
Old 03 November 2007, 09:21 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by amego
p1 edd allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the way
Well, you do need some competition for shinest Impreza in Haverfordwest
I work next door to Fred Rees and eyed up the P1 they had in there several times - although judging by the amount of time its spent in there recently I'm glad I didn't.

P1s do have a reputation for popping apparently due to Prodrive not mapping the ECUs for UK fuel and using broquet fuel pellets - they are V5 STIs after all. Least thats what I've read on here. I would get the car TEK'd to try to reduce the chances of it failing. Basically, if it does it does and will sit in my garage till I can afford to fix it.

A quick scan of autotrader shows theres a P1 near here and a Prodrive bugeye. Theres loads of import places up this way and I'm going to Keighley to see what the fuss is about

Steve Whitehorn - LOL, I've only got 7K too which was going to get the Integrale but I'm sure the bank will lend me a bit for a P1
Old 03 November 2007, 09:34 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

LOL
Yes perhaps I wont be able to help myself and I might stretch it a bit and go for a P1. Perhaps if I go for the WRX I might regret it.

Perhaps go for one thats actually had a good rebuild and remap already? Many have.
Old 03 November 2007, 09:43 PM
CharlieP1
Scooby Newbie

I`ve had my P1 for 6 years now, and i have no intention of getting rid of it, my engine did go at 63k but it was my own fault, chasing a bike over the mountain on the isle of man and not noticing the oil temp reaching 130 degrees.
A good excuse for a bit of upgrading, a trip to Scoobyclinic and now running 380 bhp and 360 ft lb torque and going like a dream.
Don`t worry about the engine going, just don`t go on long flat out high speed runs like i did, and get the oil changed regularly and i would recommend a remap to sort out the fuel octane problem which would have the added bonus of boosting the power to about 310 - 320 bhp.
Old 03 November 2007, 09:50 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Good point tbh.

I would prefer a completely standard car but with the issue of P1s going pop, I would look into rebuilds etc. The one close to Pontefract has had a new engine under waranty but overall its 88K and I don't know how many owners.

I'd even consider another MY99/00 UK 4 door like an RB5 and spend a bit on suspension and engine mods. This time apart from the must have (alloys and mudflaps) I'd like to leave the styling completely standard.

I wish I hadn't sold my classic. At Japfest this year, it was the only UK sonic blue classic there
Old 03 November 2007, 10:05 PM
blueburble
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlieP1
I`ve had my P1 for 6 years now, and i have no intention of getting rid of it, my engine did go at 63k but it was my own fault, chasing a bike over the mountain on the isle of man and not noticing the oil temp reaching 130 degrees.
A good excuse for a bit of upgrading, a trip to Scoobyclinic and now running 380 bhp and 360 ft lb torque and going like a dream.
Don`t worry about the engine going, just don`t go on long flat out high speed runs like i did, and get the oil changed regularly and i would recommend a remap to sort out the fuel octane problem which would have the added bonus of boosting the power to about 310 - 320 bhp.
Absolutly spot on Had a UK Classic, Had a 05 Blob Eye, Now a P1 for two years, all i can say is drive both cars i doubt if you will have much of a decision to make, if you go P1 just make sure it's had a Walbro Pump Fitted and Mapped, you shouldn't have a problem, as said above don't hold it at 160 MPH and all will be ok, a P1 is for driving, loads of involvement, my Blob was just like driving me works Vectra only quicker
Old 03 November 2007, 10:22 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by blueburble
Absolutly spot on Had a UK Classic, Had a 05 Blob Eye, Now a P1 for two years, all i can say is drive both cars i doubt if you will have much of a decision to make, if you go P1 just make sure it's had a Walbro Pump Fitted and Mapped, you shouldn't have a problem, as said above don't hold it at 160 MPH and all will be ok, a P1 is for driving, loads of involvement, my Blob was just like driving me works Vectra only quicker
I hav driven my P1 at high sustained speeds many times on the motorway with out any probs ...just make sure it is mapped for the fuel we use in UK and is sevice it regularly.... mine was running 400bhp
Old 03 November 2007, 10:28 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

version 5 typeR and get it remapped if not already done,thats what id do....in fact i did
Old 03 November 2007, 10:46 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

If you're considering a 4 door classic, think about a late STI classic too. They seem good value at the moment and don't have DCCD.

Personally I'd go for the classic over new age. I've driven lots and the classics just feel great cars IMO.

The fact you don't want DCCD means the best car out of the classics is (like you say) the P1 for your criteria.

The newage car will never have that 'special' feel of the P1 and you'll prob just end up wondering of you should have bought the P1 2 months down the line if you do go new age.
Old 03 November 2007, 11:38 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

I owned the newage STi for a while (2005, PPP fitted) and it was a great car for a first time scooby owner.

But for some reason I was never comfortable with it and just didn't get along. Drove a mates STi 6 and fell in love with the classics, everything I was after and more. As many have said, they just seem more raw and rally like and I think have bit of a character now being so old.

I have my eyes set on a Type RA STi 5 or 6, I know they are rare beasts so will be a while before I find the right one but I want some DCCD action as I like my cars a little tail happy ;-)

Good luck with the car hunt!
Old 04 November 2007, 12:06 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Precious Metal have a silver STI V6 (?) in stock at around £6k, but don't quote me....
They're in Knottingley, or Precious Metal Online.blah.blah....

Dunx

P.S. My bug-eye STI + whitleline is NOTHING like a Vectra !
P.P.S. new-age sti motors are good for up to 450 bhp, before you need new pistons etc !
Old 04 November 2007, 12:25 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

this sounds like a good one

API Engines

rarity,power,handling and history,sorted just remember to take me out for a spin if you get it.
Old 04 November 2007, 04:31 PM
typerchris
Scooby Regular

get yourself a type r over the p1 dont worry to much about the dccd, it has only caught me out once when i was giving it full hog in low gears with a evo 6 trying to keep up
Old 04 November 2007, 04:56 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Nice video on the P1: » Video: 5th Gears test - Impreza P1 vs Evolution VI | Subaru News, Articles, Road Tests, Test Drives, Comparisons, Concepts, Photos, Wallpapers, Rally Motorsport / Drag & Street Racing / Drifting & Donuts / Crash Videos and more on this blog dedicat
Old 04 November 2007, 04:59 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gtijames

API Engines

rarity,power,handling and history,sorted just remember to take me out for a spin if you get it.
Hmm not an STi but with that spec and history I might have to take a look
Old 04 November 2007, 05:33 PM
fred coupe
Scooby Regular

you should get a wr1
Old 04 November 2007, 05:39 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Had a play in my new-age STI with a Type-R coming out of Elvington a few years back, out of tight corners he pulled away slightly, due to crazy gearing, but could easily make up for it on the brakes. It's still hard to pass a quick car, even with better brakes. Look for the up-grade, a car that quick needs it !

Dunx
Old 04 November 2007, 05:48 PM
scooby-power
Scooby Regular

p1 mate its got to be , the classic shape scooby is the best imo !!!!!!!
Old 04 November 2007, 06:33 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gtijames

API Engines

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-sa...a-limited.html

This is the car. Can't believe he didn't get more interest in here. At the time it was on here I was dead set on the Lancia so never looked into it.

It does sound like a good'un. My old car was very similar although a UK car I'd put RA seats in it. My car is still on pistonheads for sale James. Knock the lad down as it needs a service but assuming he hasn't kanckered it in 4 months its still a great car.

I didn't realise Well Lane is only down the road from here and they have a P1. Had a quick look today and looks OK. Bit over my budget but going to see if I can blag a go over the next couple of days.

Last edited by EddScott; 04 November 2007 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04 November 2007, 06:47 PM
amego
Scooby Regular

seen a lovley car for ya bannana yellow punto and its a turbo just down the road for me if you want ill have a word
Old 04 November 2007, 07:10 PM
gtijames
Scooby Regular

edd got to be honest i didnt see the original advert only the api one.it does look a cracker,are you tempted to buy your old one back then?that was a beauty aswell.
Old 04 November 2007, 07:30 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by amego
seen a lovley car for ya bannana yellow punto and its a turbo just down the road for me if you want ill have a word
LOL if the misses didn't need a bigger car for her mobile hairdressing she might be interested.

James - I've offered to buy it back twice. However, theres an issue over my private plate and my emails are ignored - tit!. I flippin knew the boy couldn't afford it and it ddin't deserve to go to someone who couldn't look after it properly. never forgive myself etc etc.....

Theres quite a few P1s up this way although a bit out of my budget. Going to see how many I can blag a go in to get a feel of them. Theres 1 that looks good and in budget but even in the few pics on autotrader theres questions to be asked even before setting off.

There are so many import places in West Yorkshire its amazing. My wife is looking forward to 2 days of hell being dragged round the place! We've seen alot of tatty cars too. Major let down on a Lancia EVO2. If I've got time I'll be going up to Walkers Lancia. Been before and although expensive to buy from them, they will look after the car once its purchased.

Quick Reply: Help me decide which Impreza!