Sponsored by:

Difference between a V4/V5 STI

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2007, 03:33 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between a V4/V5 STI

Hi does anyone know what differences was between the V5 and V4 STI.

Also I've seen a couple of scooby's that have aftermarket roof vents, what's your opinon on them. I suppose at high speed the air collected in the vent could rip it off roof can that happen.
Old 03 November 2007, 05:10 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Going to add to this.
As I am interested in the difference - if any, it terms of engine life.

Sti V5 have a reputation for the engine letting go - also the P1 (based on the V5)

I dont seem to hear so much about Sti V4s letting go. Were they actualy a stronger car? Or is it that I just dont hear about the rebuilds?

What were the strongest classic Sti´s built?
Was it the Sti V1 and 2 with the closed deck block?

Thanks
Steve

Hopefully someone that rebuilds lots of these engines will glance at this and put me straight

Last edited by Steve Whitehorn; 03 November 2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03 November 2007, 06:14 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

Don't like the sound of that.

So as mentioned above which would be the best Classic STI Version to by then.

Going to look at a STI V5 on Monday hopefully but it's going to be ringing in the back of my head that the engine will blow up.
Old 03 November 2007, 06:27 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Well alot of it is down to how they are looked after. Especialy the fuel used and or what mapping is done. I am sure a well looked after V5 is going to be more reliable than another type that has obviously had no TLC.

However the fact is - is that many Sti V5s and P1s seem to need engine rebuilds. Usually no3 lets go.

If it has already had a rebuild and has upgraded parts and has been done by a reputable builder such as API then it could be a good buy. Also If it has been very well looked after. So go and have a look at it with an open mind.

I am still interested if people feel the V4 was a stronger car - or if that is just rubbish From memory they are basically the same thing - given a few minor tweaks. Anyone?

Steve

Last edited by Steve Whitehorn; 03 November 2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03 November 2007, 07:06 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

the problem was there were more P1 s sold than version 4 and 5 typeRs in this country as the sti's were all grey imports so you dont hear as many v4's going pop or killing big ends but they still do,its all about how its driven and cared for,a remapped sti is as safe as any uk model.ive never heard of a roof vent being ripped off at speed but the bonnets probably a better bet (my old gtir did that) but never heard of it on an impreza and quite a few cars have hit way over 170.IMO biased maybe but get a version 5,much better interior,later spec engine,remappable ecu as standard and just looks better
Old 03 November 2007, 07:13 PM
stuart148
Scooby Regular

it all depends if your lucky ,,,

i had mine 24 hours and the engine went pop

now after 2.5k its running 350bhp/335lb torque

AND ITS FOR SALE

stu
Old 03 November 2007, 07:26 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by exvaux
the problem was there were more P1 s sold than version 4 and 5 typeRs in this country as the sti's were all grey imports so you dont hear as many v4's going pop or killing big ends but they still do,its all about how its driven and cared for,a remapped sti is as safe as any uk model.ive never heard of a roof vent being ripped off at speed but the bonnets probably a better bet (my old gtir did that) but never heard of it on an impreza and quite a few cars have hit way over 170.IMO biased maybe but get a version 5,much better interior,later spec engine,remappable ecu as standard and just looks better
Thanks for clarifying that.
So V4 is just as likely to let as a P1 - IF not looked after properly.
And the only reason that you hear about more P1s is because there were more of them about.
So as we both said it is down to the how well cared for the car is.
Old 04 November 2007, 10:56 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by exvaux
version 5,much better interior,later spec engine,remappable ecu as standard and just looks better
V4 / V5 interior basically the same. Colour on the seats and a change to the steering wheel horn push is the only difference IIRC.

Later spec engine,remappable ecu as standard - agreed, if you want to remap it easily, go for a V5 or V6. If you're sure you're not going to play with it then either V4/5/6.

Looks - down to personal opinion - dangerous ground. Although I do like the V5 best myself. (I bought a V4 because it was in great condition and low milage)

All said and down, they're all great cars.
Old 04 November 2007, 12:20 PM
KINGTIGER
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the help. The V5 I'm going to look at looks in good nick and has low mileage with service history.

So basically the engine will be okay if I look after it, maintain it right and don't thrash the living daylights out of it.

Whan I brought my Prelude (rip) people said ohh the engine will go and all this and that. After 4 years of owning it not a single problem with it.
Old 04 November 2007, 03:11 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

the problem with the subaru reputation is a lot of people that have never owned one that "heard" this or that about the rumour leads to more rumours and a bad rep is born.Theres nothing amazingly different between the subaru engine and any other car its still an engine,you take care of it and it will be fine.There were 1000 P1's sold in britain,uk model but 1000 sti v4 and 1000 sti V5 sold in the rest of the world(jap/australian model),not sure how many there are in britain but a hell of a lot less than there are p1's
Old 05 November 2007, 06:54 AM
Az Sti Type R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KINGTIGER
Whan I brought my Prelude (rip) people said ohh the engine will go and all this and that. After 4 years of owning it not a single problem with it.
Why the hell did people say that?! Honda engines very rarely go pop! You'd have to seriously dis-respect it for it to let go.