Sponsored by:

gauge question again!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2007, 07:40 PM
sime 71
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gauge question again!!!!!

hi all. just come back from d/t and they have fixed my gauge's/however half way back home again i noticed that my oil temp gauge drop down to 40 .dun me ed in but tried to forget about it.as i stopped for some v power i noticed that while i was sittin in the que i noticed that my gauge started to rise and went back to 70.i drove off again and it dropped to 40 .has any body got a clue why because i dont fancy another 250 mile round trip.any help would be much appriciated....
Old 03 November 2007, 01:47 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 250 mile round trip to get guages fixed or fitted is plain crazy.
Where are you located?
Oil temperature should start off from close to ambient when the car is started after standing all night and rise slowly as you drive to around 80C depending on how/where you are driving.
When driven hard, oil temp should rise, say 10C and when you go down a long downhill with little or no throttle you may notice the temperature drops slightly.
The oil probe has to be in the sump oil or long enough to reach into the gallery being used for the sender. Usually above #3 cylinder. This could be your problem but sitting in a queue for 5 mins with the engine running should not result in a big drop in temp to 40C.
Switching off from say 80C, I expect the temp to drop slowly over 1-2 hours at this time of year before the temp is around 40C.
Old 03 November 2007, 01:58 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I have no Oil Gauge to worry about

You lot will put yourselves into early graves with all these gauges and cocklinks and stuff telling you that the engine is about to blow any minute!

Rip them out and DRIVE!!!!!!
Old 03 November 2007, 02:52 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I have no Oil Gauge to worry about

You lot will put yourselves into early graves with all these gauges and cocklinks and stuff telling you that the engine is about to blow any minute!

Rip them out and DRIVE!!!!!!

I find it quite amazing that as a so called "engineer" you have no interest or desire to know what's going on inside a mechanical device! All the real engineers I've known (inc. myself) have a natural inquisitiveness and like to be kept informed. I suppose it's all down to what kind of "Engineer" you are? God forbid should you get a car with anything more than a warning light! What would you do, tear out those ridiculous gauges, just to make a point?
At 63 I'm getting really worried that I might finish up like you!
JohnD
Old 03 November 2007, 06:00 PM
sime 71
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cheers for the info guys.im located in leicester area and yes i think it's a bit crazy going all that way for some gauge's just like it's drivin round a car park lookin for a spot whare nobody can dent your doors think this scooby larks gonna drive me mad cheers peeps