Sponsored by:

Driving in snow

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2000, 12:22 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Me being the uber muppet driver I am, can anyone tell me the best way to drive an AWD car on snow. The rare times i've done it i've always had a FWD car and a lot less power to contend with. I suspect things like use a higher gear than normal, brake in a straight line and gentle steering input etc are the same but anymore hints and tips would be appreciated. Another one I can think of is 'Stay away from gritters'
Old 18 December 2000, 12:46 AM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

Neil,

The main tip I'd give anyone driving an Impreza in the snow is, WATCH YOUR SPEED ! With the fantastic traction they have, they get up to speed deceptively quickly but do not stop in the same fashion - recipe for disaster !

ChrisW.
Old 18 December 2000, 01:29 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Disable your abs system by removing the fuse to start with, will slow down quicker because of snow build up by front wheels.
Yup you got this bit right Neil! use higher gearing, keep out of the turbo at all times and use engine braking more. The rest is normal common sense, just dont kick the **** out of it, keep your distance and if you cant see through the snow just stop and get your bearings (saved my neck once in a 'white out' missed the road and stopped cos i couldnt see where i was, stopped 10ft from the edge of a cliff.....ooooops!!} try to look for things like telegraph poles along the road!!
Keep a sleeping bag and warm clothes + some food in the boot if you travel across areas daily where you know there will be snow (better safe than sorry!!)
The breakdown companies should also have some info somewhere about driving in these conditions and what you need.

Cheers
Tony
Old 18 December 2000, 04:43 PM
Philsykes
Scooby Regular

Cool

Clear your side windows, that way you can see where you're going - Yee hah.

Two other things - only do this when everybody else is wrapped up indoors and keep your mobile phone link to the wife with the Range Rover warmed up.

Phil.
Old 18 December 2000, 04:50 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

might be worth checking with your insurance company before disconnecting your ABS.

Yes it will stop you quicker in deep snow if you have ABS disconnected, but not always with the same level of control.

Difficult decision. I know for a fact, I would rather not drive an ABD car in the snow. But then again, I wouldn't want traction control either

take your time, be *smooth*, don't hit any of the controls abruptly in either direction...

in other words... dont get on *or* off the gas quickly, don't get on *or* off the brakes quickly, same with steering, etc. Do everything more smoothly and you will have a better chance of sensing something going wrong and be in a better position to do something about it.

Cheers

Simon

PS. Great advice from cwal1 and TonyBurns also.
Old 18 December 2000, 05:30 PM
Philsykes
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Does nobody else have FUN in their cars or am I just a Hooligan.

Phil.

P.S. Motorcycle instructors say 'If you want to ride safely in the snow use the car' so I guess Driving instructors should say 'Use the snow cat'.
Old 18 December 2000, 05:34 PM
NIGE K
Scooby Regular

Neil
You will get a huge improvement in snow, if you change to a narrower section tyre of the snow/mud variety.
Alternativley a set of snow chains might be an option.
I've used them on a rear wheel drive with a massive improvement in grip including stopping.
Brindley Chains Ltd in Warrington advertise chains to suit 4wd. Tel 01925 825555

Nige K

Trending Topics

Old 18 December 2000, 05:37 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

ROFL!

I used to have a agreement with my first co-driver, that no matter where we were, or what time of day or night it was, if it snowed, we got together and went for a play

I must say however, this was normally at night and in places where nobody else was around. There was one car-park I remember very well indeed

He once said "Hey, I wonder if I could ski along in my shoes, behind the car (Ford Granada!!!) by holding on to the spoiler?"

Turns out he could hand on up to about 40MPH!!! LOL

top effort!

[This message has been edited by Simon de Banke (edited 18 December 2000).]
Old 18 December 2000, 05:52 PM
Philsykes
Scooby Regular

Cool

Simon,

My friend and I used to use a strip of an old airfield in Beccles in Suffolk, that was until the MD of the company stopped us 'cos everyone was watching us instead of working.

I then once got a 911 out because it was rear drive and being 23 I thought it would be fun to practice tailslides. I never took it past the end of the drive of the house we were renting and it took me half an hour to get it back in the garage with the help of a friend.

I believe the formula for this is :

Fat tyres + snow = leave in garage

Phil.