Sponsored by:

What happens at the end of a PCP...

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2002, 10:35 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

...If you just want to give the car back??

I have purchased my car on a PCP and have been given a Gauranteed Future Value for the car after 3 years. The way Impreza values are at the moment I wouldn't be surprised if this GFV is more than I will get offered as a trade in for the car. I don't want another Subaru so it would be easier for me to just give the car back and walk away.

So if you just give the car back to the dealer what requirements do you have to meet?? I guess the obvious ones are :

1) Car is in good condition
2) Under the agreed mileage
3) Has legal tyres on

Now as we all know the 3 year service is an expensive one so will they get upset if this hadn't been done before I hand it back (I really don't want to spend £450 on a service only to give the car back a week later.). I am also thinking that renewing the road tax is a waste of time which will save me another £160...

Anybody any experience on this matter?

The reason I ask is because the "how much does your impreza cost you a month" thread has got me thinking again about how much money this car is costing me each month. I was going to get rid a few months ago but the pathetic trade in I was offered (worked out at over £450 a month in depreciation alone) ment I was better off keeping it until it was 3 years old.

Old 11 January 2002, 10:50 AM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Hi

I am in the same position - I have a Sport on PCP and I am looking to change car in the summer. Like you, I don't think that the car will meet it's future value on the agreement, so I am just going to hand it back.

With regards to the service, I have had mine serviced in accordance with the manufacturer (i.e. at the correct mileage or every six months) and my 52500 mile service is being done on 27th of this month. My agreement ends on 17th July and I won't have done 60000 miles, so therefore no service is due.

I'm still pondering about the road tax - I don't want to lose the money by putting one on for a fortnight, so I'd check with the PCP company about whether or not they refund the unused months (or alternatively give you the disk so you can claim them yourself). The other option is to give the car back a few days early when it is still covered by the old tax disk.

The impression I got is that the PCP finance company are going to be more worried about losing your business, so they may be more accommodating if you are going to take another out with them - if of course the deal is right

Hope this helps
Old 11 January 2002, 11:10 AM
GammonRoll
Scooby Regular

IMHO the GFV will DEFINITELY be higher than any trade in offered. I took out a PCP on a Sport before my current WRX and handed it back after 18 months of a 3 year contract. The price offered by the company was considerably higher than the trade in offered at my local Scooby dealer.
Usually it's an auction chappy who runs a quick rule over the car before handing over. Unless you've done some serious damage then the price will stand.

Plead ignorance. I declared a CD changer on my form, then removed it.They never even mentioned it.

Gamm