Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just had my RA(95) Imported,would it be wise to have it remapped and set up by Andy

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2007, 09:38 PM
Mr Brannen
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just had my RA(95) Imported,would it be wise to have it remapped and set up by Andy

Forrest before i let it loose on the streets , heard loads of horror stories about Jap fuel and oil being no good n that,must be a good idea to let him see it first,or am I just being paranoid
Old 10 October 2007, 09:46 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Mr Brannen
Forrest before i let it loose on the streets , heard loads of horror stories about Jap fuel and oil being no good n that,must be a good idea to let him see it first,or am I just being paranoid
I'm not an expert on ECUs and compatibility with UK Fuel, but I think it would be wise to put V power in it and a) get Andy to listen to it with DET cans to make sure it's ok on the std map b) invest in a knocklink to look out for DET. C) if either say you need it, get a remap/Alternative ECU (Ecutek isn't available for your MY).

All the best.

Ns04
Old 10 October 2007, 09:48 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

All the JDM classics should be mapped for UK fuel as a precaution. Upside is more power which can't be bad

TX.
Old 10 October 2007, 09:48 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

'Jap fuel and oil'? Japanese cars are usually cared for far better than cars are here. The Japanese fuel is drained when the cars are loaded onto the boat.

A 1995 car will live quite happily on super unleaded: it uses what is essentially the same ECU as the then-current Prodrive Performance Pack ECU. Added to which, you cant simply 're-map' a Z4, or similar, ECU.

Simon
Old 10 October 2007, 10:42 PM
djquest
Scooby Regular

however if u did want it mapped, you would have two options.

1. buying a new mappable ECU such as Power FC - this can cost between £600 - £800 for ecu installed and mapped.
2. Buy a Daughter Board Map, such as an ESL Performance chip/Polor Performance chip - which can range from £100 - £400 depending where u buy it from i.e Ebay or Polor Performance directly on scoobynet (Scot.T)

Second option is the cheapest and will give you more power as well as it will be mapped for 1.1 bar plus UK fuel.

If you are wanting to go for big power later on then it may be better investing in a Power FC Now, as Mapping is around £200 - 250 mark for Power FC as the standard Polor Performance chip is not mappable unless you go for the live map chip, however this works out similar price to having a Power FC installed and mapped.

I hope that helps. Enjoy your New scooby
Old 10 October 2007, 11:10 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by djquest
however if u did want it mapped, you would have two options.

1. buying a new mappable ECU such as Power FC - this can cost between £600 - £800 for ecu installed and mapped.
2. Buy a Daughter Board Map, such as an ESL Performance chip/Polor Performance chip - which can range from £100 - £400 depending where u buy it from i.e Ebay or Polor Performance directly on scoobynet (Scot.T)

Second option is the cheapest and will give you more power as well as it will be mapped for 1.1 bar plus UK fuel.

If you are wanting to go for big power later on then it may be better investing in a Power FC Now, as Mapping is around £200 - 250 mark for Power FC as the standard Polor Performance chip is not mappable unless you go for the live map chip, however this works out similar price to having a Power FC installed and mapped.

I hope that helps. Enjoy your New scooby
AFAIK the ESL is a cheaper option. They can be supplied and mapped for approx £550ish, whereas if you go for the Apexi (if you can find one for a pre 1996) you'll have to pay £450+ for the ECU, then £250 for mapping, and possibly £180 for the boost controller that the earlier WRX/STI's need.

Both are more than capable units, but there can be quite a price difference. Scott.T or Jolly Green Monster will know more details than i do though about comparing the 2 ECU's
Old 11 October 2007, 09:22 AM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Simon 69
'Jap fuel and oil'? Japanese cars are usually cared for far better than cars are here. The Japanese fuel is drained when the cars are loaded onto the boat.

A 1995 car will live quite happily on super unleaded: it uses what is essentially the same ECU as the then-current Prodrive Performance Pack ECU. Added to which, you cant simply 're-map' a Z4, or similar, ECU.

Simon
Agreed ...as the Japanese only introduced 100 RON in '96 iirc