Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Mc Crae Special Edition Poll

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2007, 07:10 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mc Crae Special Edition Poll

I know it is not long since the great man passed away but do you thing that they will try and bring out a Ltd Edition like they did for Richard Burns and the poll question is: Is it in bad taste and profiteering or is it seen as a good thing to remember him by.??

Sorry if this offends anyone it is not meant to cause any distress.

Last edited by bluenosewrx; 01 October 2007 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01 October 2007, 07:32 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

If done properly then it would be in good taste.

One idea might be for it to be a McRae edition in name, but not anywhere on bodywork, maybe just a small "1968-2007" on the bootlid.
astraboy.
Old 01 October 2007, 07:40 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Yes it is a could idea, but Colin was most famous for driving the classic shape impreza, which if you have not already noticed Subaru have stoped making, so making a LE impreza for Colin McRae using the newage car might not be right indoing so.

All I can say is that the lucky owners that have a '95 series mcrae model impreza, that they keep it and look after it for many moons to come.
Old 01 October 2007, 07:41 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. I'd like to see a new SE for Colin, as it would be a worthy tribute to the chap that got many of us interested in Rallying and/or Subaru's (Legacy/Impreza).

If they were to produce a 2008 WRX McRae Edition would people buy it? Many seem to loathe the new shape and would this put them off getting the SE? Also, the new car is meant to appeal to a wider audience and the SE might not mean anything to them above and beyond some special additions, so they may not appreciate it as much as someone who actually knew who Colin was.

Perhaps they may hold off until the STi is released, and create an SE based on that, but it could be a while until it actually arrives, plus would it be a global SE or just a UK one?
Old 01 October 2007, 07:42 PM
Marx Mcrae
Scooby Regular

I think it would be a great idea so long as they dont just give us another STi rip off.
If there gonna do one then they need to really think about what people would want from it and make it really special this time!

Marx
Old 01 October 2007, 07:44 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

As long as the money goes to those who need it, cancer, aids, homeless and so on.
Old 01 October 2007, 07:46 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

As the starter of the thread i agree with most of the comments and i reckon its already a done thing although i do think they will wait for the new STi for the base car and then prodrive/IM will bring out a 555 Ltd edition with 555 cars produced, would be nice if it had 555 Bhp but i think not,

Maybe i am just being suspicious but i also reckon it will be the new shape as when most of the sales they expect dont come this will be a ploy to get the No's up.

Mac
Old 01 October 2007, 08:28 PM
gljam
Scooby Regular

I find it all very tacky, and a blatent marketing ploy by Subaru to shift a few cars eg. the RB320

Colin Mcrae also drove for Ford, Citroen and Skoda, are they planning any special editions for him??
Old 01 October 2007, 08:49 PM
new2scoobs
BANNED

no Colin stopped being a subaru driver ages ago
Old 01 October 2007, 08:53 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

/me kisses his Series McRae No 111
Old 01 October 2007, 09:30 PM
cos500
Scooby Regular

Subaru have made so many special editions, are they that special? Do we really need any more? Any special edition brought out now with the Mcrae name on it would be just wrong, not just by subaru but by any of the companys he drove for.
Old 02 October 2007, 01:06 AM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gljam
I find it all very tacky, and a blatent marketing ploy by Subaru to shift a few cars eg. the RB320

Colin Mcrae also drove for Ford, Citroen and Skoda, are they planning any special editions for him??

^^^ what he said. Totally agree. Cheap marketing ploy in very poor taste.
Old 02 October 2007, 05:27 AM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Originally Posted by gljam

I disagree 101% with what you wrote, Colin McRae was the person that really put Subaru on the map as a car manufacturer with his unique, attacking driving style that brought him the win at rally GB to secure the world title and the manufacturers title for Subaru.

Colin McRae is an iconic figure not only with Subaru fans but with rallying fans all over the world, if Subaru were to bring out another McRae edition this would be to celebrate his life and the contribution he made to the Subaru world rally team and to Subaru as a company.

People would feel proud to drive a new McRae edition because of what the car would stand for which would be a celebration of Colin`s life with Subaru and for what he achieved with the company.

Your point about are Ford, Citroen and Skoda holds no water because he didn`t achieve the same amount of success with those teams and all 3 are long established companies in comparison with Subaru who like i said were put on the map by Colin McRae along with Richard Burns.
Old 02 October 2007, 07:09 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Arguably they've already released a car to mark the contribution he made to the team, though - the Series McRae in UK, obviously, and the STI v2 Type RA also bore his signature.

IMHO sticking a McRae badge on a warmed-over hatchback - and especially one that he never actually drove - wouldn't be appropriate.
Old 02 October 2007, 07:16 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

cant believe im saying this, but i agree with borat 101%
Old 02 October 2007, 10:39 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by
a blatent marketing ploy by Subaru to shift a few cars eg. the RB320
I think you'll find that not quite correct. A certain % of the profits went to RB fund, Car was not overpriced compared to specification. His dad also was given a Car No1 to do his work with the RB foundation. I personally believe Prodrive/IM are squeeky clean and would be Commercial suicide if they were to "profiteer" from such an occassion.

IMHO IIRC

So although real good PR for Subaru, the RB320 is a totally different entity compared with other special editions such as 555's, RB5's and P1's etc.

Regards

Tony
Old 02 October 2007, 10:43 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I would only find it in good taste if done in the simular way as the RB320.

Also would like to see a light wieght ***** out version and not a waterdown slightly beefed up UK version colin didn't do slow

Tony
Old 02 October 2007, 10:46 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Its in good taste to have a special edition celebrating his life. The profiteering element only comes in depending on the price they choose to sell it at.

It needs to be a damn fine car, and imo should be sold at the same price as say an STI with PPP if that is what they are going to base it on. Maybe a little extra if they all come with leather, but not a massive price premium. Charging too much would totally destroy Subaru's reputation imo.

Yes there will be traders who will try and buy them up and sell them high. They can take their own chances with their reputation.
Old 02 October 2007, 11:01 AM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

The jury is still out on this topic for me . Personally I think Subaru have made a rod for their own back and will have to do something because they have before with other special editions in memory of certain title wins and sad passings of extremely highly regarded drivers. If they don't they'll get slated because why for one and not the other.

As for profiteering: well I went to the Chatsworth Rally Show last weekend and on a well known Subaru dealer stand they had a secondhand RB320 up for £34,000 .

Wolfie.
Old 02 October 2007, 05:00 PM
D6ale
Scooby Regular

I think a new Mcrae edition would be a good thing to have. Trouble is it would have to be based on the '08 STI and the new hatch isnt a car i can associate with Colin at all. At least the Hawk eye RB320 has relations to the bug eye Richard drove to his '01 championship.
If they do make one i hope they put more heart into it than the RB320, i still feel that didnt have the true special edition flare like the older versions.
The must have’s for me are an exclusive colour not standard maybe dark blue like the last one?, exclusive trim from standard, a numbered plaque on the car (not a tax disc holder). Exclusive wheels etc etc.
But the bottom line is Subaru should do something to remember Colin.