Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems I Should Look For When Buying?.

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2007, 05:02 PM
PLuKE
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems I Should Look For When Buying?.

Hi.

I wanna pick all of your brains. Am looking at buying a Turbo model in the next few months and i have seen a few on Autotrader and the likes. But i want to know what problems i should look for?. What about cars that have done 80-100k is that far to many miles?. I have some mechanical background as i race motorbikes so i know bits and pieces. Any advice is welcome as am alittle new to cars.

Thanks!.

Luke
Old 16 September 2007, 05:18 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Pluke, can I expand on that a bit. I am also in the market for the newest of the classic shape, as I hear bad things about the bugeyes. What are the pitfalls, and what unexpected money ploughing does an owner have to do to keep them serviced etc.? Thread hijack over!

Hello all by the way!!
Old 16 September 2007, 05:20 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

depends what your budget is and what your after there are SOOOO many different models from the uk/wrx/sti etc,service history is important so you know whats been done and when.Each model has its ups and downsides but get a decent one you wont look back
Old 16 September 2007, 05:23 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Theres absolutely NOTHING wrong with the Bugeyes or newer, they just don't look as pretty as the Classic IMHO, BUT they have a MUCH better chassis to begin with and can thus use the power a lot better.

Also nothing wrong with quite a high mileage on the car, as long as it's properly serviced and you get it cheap enough.
Old 16 September 2007, 05:25 PM
turbomatt
Scooby Regular

Hi and welcome, most important things are that it has a full service history.also check it is hpi clear and when going to view check it over thoughrouly for any signs of repair/abuse.Try and get one with as low mileage as you can find.However if it has a fully documented history this shouldnt be a problem.Ive had mine for about a year and a half and it hasnt missed a beat touch wood.Try and find one that hasnt been modified too and you should be ok with that,finally use your common sense, if your not 100% confident with the purchase then walk away and find another as the market is flooded with scoobies.
Old 16 September 2007, 05:41 PM
PLuKE
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replys, And no probs on the thread hi jack .

Well i dont really have much money to play with. But am looking for at paying £2500, I know its not much but as i race motorbikes i have have much money burning a hole in my pocket. TBH am after a stand one, I dont mind a new exhaust or diffrance alloys but thats about it TBH. I want a car with history aswell. For the money am looking at paying i have seen a few clean ones with 80-100k on the clocks.

Also tuning. How much BHP from a remap (stage1) would i be looking at from a standard car with maybe a new back box on?.

Thanks.

Luke
Old 16 September 2007, 05:59 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of the ones in the autotrader are wrx's which are imports, are you after an import or a uk car? estate or saloon?

Tony
Old 16 September 2007, 06:02 PM
PLuKE
Scooby Newbie

Arhh yes i forgot to say. Am after a saloon, No keen on the wagons. TBH i dont mind UK or Import as long as its RHD. Is there something dodgy about imports?. Like i said am all alittle new to this! .

Luke
Old 16 September 2007, 06:06 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

Nope nothin dodgy they just came with no security in japan but were more powerful than uk spec in standard trim and better specced in some aspects.The usual argument about japanese fuel etc will probably get dragged up but i had no problems with octane booster and tesco 99 super unleaded
Old 16 September 2007, 06:14 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

The one your most likely going to find for £2500 is an early UK wagon.

Decat exhaust, panel filter and a boost controller properly setup, should net you about 260-270hp.
Old 16 September 2007, 06:42 PM
uk_scoob
Scooby Regular

i bought a standard uk turbo saloon . for £2100. but i bought it with a view to spend money on it . the bodywork had seen better days and i now require a new water pump. but other than that im really pleased with it ..