Newbie questions - type r "vs" supra

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2007, 08:23 PM
jollyranchers
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie questions - type r "vs" supra

Hi guys been lurking on here for a while,

Been thinking about buying a sti type r for a while but got a few questions i hope you could help me out with.

The type r has the dccd , am i right in thinking this means normal driving its in "DIFF FREE" mode which means its basicaly a rear wheel drive car ?

How much provoking does it take to get the rear end out ? i really want a good handling car but dont want to worried about it biting me on the ar$e. is it better handling for the normal punter than a normal 4 door sti ?

Engines - majority of cars for sale all seem to have the "rebuilt" at xxx miles ago, which makes me think they are not strong units.

How many of you have a high miler non refurbed engine ?

also dont suppose any of you have any experience or had a supra twin turbo ? although i prefer the type r the supra is my second choice - from what i have heard engines appear to be very strong but again the handling worries me.

How would a standard type r compare to a standard supra in terms of handling and straight line speed anyone come up against one ?

sorry for all the questions hope you guys can help me make my mind up

thanks in advance
Old 13 September 2007, 08:38 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Hello,

Ive just bought my sti type r v4, I wouldnt worry too much about the whole DCCD, for the first 2 weeks i was messing around with it but now drive with it full open all of the time unless its p1SSing down with rain and then maybe ill turn it up a notch.

When its fully open if i remember correctly is 67% rear and 33front, when locked the car is 50-50 but i dont think it should be driven like that its probably designed for snow/ice??..

The car overall handles very well IMHO and ive hardly lost the backend ;-) so i wouldnt say its like a rwd turbo car when full open.

I dont think all engines have been rebuilt, i was luckily enough to find a low milage example which had been imported from new with full uk service history so hunt around for low milage and if possile been here since new.

No experiance of a Supra twin turbo

Hope that helps
Old 13 September 2007, 11:23 PM
wrxcraig
Scooby Regular

i have a uk2000, its been very well looked after with every documented history on it, its currently got 94k and still in A1 condition and runs really well and to my knowledge no rebuild has been done.
I did have my m8s supra TT for 3 days as i wanted to know what it would be like as a everyday car and to be honest i loved every second, but i couldnt go ahead with the deal as my kids werent sat comfortably in the back, but the whole feel about the car was the best ive felt, your sat low down and everything hugs around the driver. Not sure about the type R but i'd definatly look at the supra.
Old 15 September 2007, 11:50 AM
jollyranchers
Scooby Newbie

thanks for that guys, anyone else ?
Old 15 September 2007, 03:02 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

When the back ends go they GO bit time,its not like a normal rwd that can catch the slide easily as the front wheels are being driven too so too much opposite lock,it snaps badly and very very quickly,also the typeR has no abs which can catch out if not used to it they are a completely different car to the 4 dr impreza to drive.Performance is similar to the supra over short distances or twisty tracks with the right driver,high speeds or open autobahn you will get your *** handed to you as there aint no replacement for displacement they just motor on and typeR has a short ratio box,pain in the backside on long motorway journeys,i had mine 2 years now and once i got used to it everythin was ok never had any SERIOUS problems with it,just servicing/fuel/crap sensors etc

Last edited by exvaux; 15 September 2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 15 September 2007, 03:07 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

And im on 74k miles on standard engine btw
Old 15 September 2007, 03:27 PM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

ive got a standard sti not haad it long,i've had it slide side ways twice both times in the wet,and not on very good tyres to be honest,but both times it griped as soon as i let of the power a bit,great fun.if you don't want to slide to much dont go mad on the accelarator,and get really good tyres,i dont like the thought of no abs its saved my car and insurance a couple of times.
dont know if it's an issue but the sti likes the petrol,am guessing a 3.0 v6 twin turbo would even more.

Trending Topics

Old 15 September 2007, 03:56 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

im getting 22 mpg and driving pretty sensible i think - they only like 97-99 ron too.
Old 15 September 2007, 03:57 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stigaz
i dont like the thought of no abs its saved my car and insurance a couple of times.
dont know if it's an issue but the sti likes the petrol,am guessing a 3.0 v6 twin turbo would even more.
its ok once you get used to it but id much prefer the abs to the dccd which i never used except once when it was snowing and that was only in the work car park,TT supra is a greedy b****d on fuel
Old 15 September 2007, 04:01 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Is it me or i just dont think abs is the be all and end all?? - i havnt had it on my last 3 cars so by not having it on my type r hasnt bothered me one bit.

One thing hasnt been mentioned the supras are totally useless for any rear passengers, i was in the back of one for a 1 hour trip it was so cramped and not a nice journey yo say the least.