Sponsored by:

Help needed with Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2007, 08:44 AM
OB5
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed with Warranty

I have just recently purchased an 06 Impreza WRX STI, which was supplied through Motorpoint.

The vehicle now requires some warranty work carrying out on it and I have taken it to my local dealer to discover that they are refusing to deal with the warranty because the vehicle has not been registered with IM.

I have already carried out a search through numerous forums, and found that there are a whole hoist of others who have encountered similar problems. I have also discovered that some people have had no problem at all and it seems top depend on the dealer.

I have done some research and understand the issue around Pan-Euro Warranties and the back down the Subaru had to do in Dec 05 to honour these.

However my questions are:

1. Does the vehicle have to be registered with IM for dealers to carry out warranty and do the necessary recharging to the country of origin.
2. If you do need to register with IM how do you go about this. Ie necessary paperwork etc.
3. Is there a cost to registering with IM.

I would welcome your help as this has been a disappoint start to my Subaru ownership. By the way that car is fantastic.
Old 13 September 2007, 09:00 AM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Hi

You just need to make a call to IM with your vehicles full VIN number and they will register it for you (no cost).

I had the same issue but IM sorted it without problems. They also wrote to me to confirm the warranty was in place.

Mike
Old 13 September 2007, 09:14 AM
David Roberts
Scooby Newbie

Your car is a parallel import, probably from Cyprus or Malta, you need to register your car with the dealer either K Kattermis or Liaco respectively. (You should find the supplier on the PDi stamp on the service book) If you send them a fax of the log book they will regisiter the car in your name with IM. Meanwhile you can take your car to a dealership and explain they need to contact to suppling dealer who will authorise the work then bill it to Fuji in Japan. I have had warranty work done (Christopher Neil, Northwhich) on my brand new EU Import STi. A friend of mine has struggled with a Motorponit car in the past because they had registered the car in their name.

Good Luck
Old 13 September 2007, 08:09 PM
Microstar
Scooby Regular

The dealer is acting illegally. Every authorised repairer/dealer in the EU is obliged by the Block Exemption Regulation (BER) (Commission Regulation (EC) No. 1400-2002 of 31 July 2002) to treat warranty interventions of vehicles sourced from other EU member states under their same local conditions and terms. Therefore you should expect to be treated like any other Subaru customer no matter if your vehicle has been imported. There is no need to register the car with IM in the UK.
Get the dealer to put in writing that he is refusing to repair the vehicle. Then report him to the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) in the UK and Subaru Europe HQ (Address: Hermesstraat 6C, 1930 Nossegem-Zaventem, Belgium)
Old 13 September 2007, 08:14 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

What kind of warranty work do you need doing mate? Not heard of many problems with hawkeyes myself.
Old 13 September 2007, 11:35 PM
hallsy67
Scooby Regular

mines an 06 sti cypriot import, mine wasnt registered so was the first thing i did. Took about 3 weeks but got there in the end.

Last edited by hallsy67; 13 September 2007 at 11:39 PM.