WRX STi PPP vs P1

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2007, 03:50 PM
crazychemist76
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX STi PPP vs P1

Hi Guys,

I am an Impreza virgin bar a few spins in a couple of standard ones and as I going to be working locally from November I can get rid of my diesel hack and go back to a fun car (Audi S4 Bi-Turbo before). My choices are a 2004ish WRX STi PPP or a P1 (preferably with WR pack). 13-14K b.urning a hole in bank account

I really am struggling to choose? Help me out here before I do something stoopid, borrow £5k and go buy an M3 SMG II.
Old 08 September 2007, 04:01 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

The 04 STi PPP over the P1 for me. Newer car. If you can find an extra few grand look at a WR1.

If you stretch even further a 2.5ltr hawkeye STI. You can put a grand in these and get the to 340bhp (ish) easily. You also have the benefit of all the usual modern day gadgets.

Last edited by Mikkel; 08 September 2007 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08 September 2007, 04:06 PM
wrx bill
Scooby Regular

Location: erm erm erm well it does lots to the gallon but it aint a scoob doh

if it was me then i would go for the P1 if you can find one in good condition out of all the impreza's i have driven the P1 was the one that was the most fun
Old 08 September 2007, 04:30 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of P1s with failed engines - the standard ECU was a bit mad for UK fuel IMHO. A nice setup otherwise, with very good suspension for UK road use if it is still in good condition on such an old car. Gearing is nice also and the engine is nice in standard or modified trim if it doesn't break.

For £14k I'd buy a new hawkeye WRX.

Later on fit STI turbo and intercooler, exhaust, remap, fuel pump, stiffer rear ARB, better pads - about £2k all in.

Should have a really nice all rounder for the road when all done.
Old 08 September 2007, 07:30 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

p1 get s my vote i am biased i own one but test drove 2 or 3 2004/05 sti ppp and a wr1 prefered the raw ness handling of the p1 and it looks a lot betetr imo if you sre local to berkshire you are more than welcome to have a go

steve
Old 08 September 2007, 10:47 PM
anthscooby01
Scooby Regular

STI PPP felt quicker than P1 to me. P1 engines live on borrowed time as we all know as well. Much preferred STI 8
Old 08 September 2007, 10:55 PM
H4RDY-P1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by anthscooby01
STI PPP felt quicker than P1 to me. P1 engines live on borrowed time as we all know as well. Much preferred STI 8
You must have driven a P1 that was down on power.
They feel and are far quicker than the newage sti's (standard)ppp or not.
And yes we all nkow the dreaded time bomb P1 engine @ 60k,but there are loads of good ones for sale now with re-built engines,test drive both and make your own mind up.
P1 for me,if you want the rawness and speed.
Make sure it's got the 330mm alcon breaks
Old 08 September 2007, 11:21 PM
JP4
Scooby Regular

Location: 700+ WR1 aka The Vuvu Zela...10.6 @ 136 weighing 1370kg....say no more....

In my opinion, the P1 is a lot more raw than the WRX STI PPP. What you need to think is of the following:

1) What shape do you like? i.e. the Classic or the new Age look?

2) P1 is a limited model, STI PPP is not

3) Will the insurance be different? STI PPP will be classed as a standard car with modification representing the PPP pack

4) P1 power will come in quicker, STI PPP is more refined and gradual

5) P1 come in 2 doors, STI PPP in 4 doors

6) P1 come in one colour, STI PPP come in various

7) More than likely you will find a P1 sold privately than say by dealership/trader and so you may not get any kind of warranty. With a 2004 STI PPP there is a chance it may still be under the standard subaru warranty or it may have been extended (I did on miine)

Hopefully the above pointers will give you some food for thought. If you want a combination of the power of a P1 and but like the new age look of the STI PPP then WR1 is the choice as it is the closest you will come of having best of both worlds without having to remortagage

FYI I own neither a P1 or a STI PPP

Last edited by JP4; 08 September 2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09 September 2007, 12:02 AM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

really depends what you want from a car,i have a newage sti and sometimes if im honest i miss my classic.yes people say the newage are better more refined etc but a newage sti can be a bit tame in standard trim. you can't beat the classic as a pure fun drivers car.if i could afford it i'd be buying a tuned sti 5/6 3 door for the sunday drive and keep the newer sti for a daily driver

........but saying that i took a work mate for a run just the other day and he recon'ed he could not live with my sti,far to hard core for him and theres me thinking that it could be doing with up rated shocks etc! like i said,depends on what you want from your cars.you need to drive both and make your own mind up.
Old 09 September 2007, 08:20 AM
Scooby Senior

P1 for me out of the two, but John Banks is right, the hawkeye 2.5 would be the way to go with that budget if you want refined comfort and a nice drive. The P1 is a much more aggressive car, and you can pick them up for about 8.5k now, plenty leftover to get the car how you want it.

on the other hand, my money would go on a V6 Type R as it has the DCCD, along with the 2 door classic aggressive looks.
Old 09 September 2007, 10:36 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JP4
6) P1 come in one colour, STI PPP come in various
But there's only one colour I'd have an Impreza in anyway

BLUE

I do love the classic shape and would love a 2 door body shell, but these days I'm quite fond of the blob eye, especially with what andy300 did with his. If you cannnnnn stretch to a WR1 I can't see you regretting it.
Old 09 September 2007, 09:01 PM
crazychemist76
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for all the advice guys, I will keep you posted. Out of curiousity how much do P1's engines cost GUARANTEED to pop??
Old 10 September 2007, 12:29 AM
bbigman2000
Scooby Regular

had them all !!!!!

P1 when they first came out

still got a WR1 and an 03 sti ppp

get the PPP bud 100%.

P1 is gorgeous and one of the best cars you will ever drive, but you just cannot find a proper one anymore and as the guys say, if its not already had and engine, then it will need one anytime now.

The 305bhp sti ppp is very quick, its not near my wr1 but its a very good fast car, and frankly I love it to bits.
Old 10 September 2007, 09:00 AM
David Roberts
Scooby Newbie

A P1 engine will cost around £2 to £3 to re build, them forged pistons ain't cheap, then you've got a crank regrind, head skim and loads of labour. The STi PPP is a much better bet financially as it needs less servicing and has a more reliable engine. bbigman2000 has summed it up pretty well.
Old 10 September 2007, 09:08 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Que the Crank regrind haters
Old 10 September 2007, 10:31 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forget the lot and buy a JDM Model quicker than both of em much more useable (power wise) and more tunable. Engines are spot on, not heard of one blowing up plus you get the "extras" you dont get on a uk car, A-DCCD, quick rack steering, etc.

Tony
Old 10 September 2007, 10:32 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by H4RDY-P1
You must have driven a P1 that was down on power.
They feel and are far quicker than the newage sti's (standard)ppp or not
Tell Prodrive that, they tested both, the PPP was actually the quicker car

Tony
Old 10 September 2007, 06:16 PM
bbigman2000
Scooby Regular

Tony, WR1's come with DCD, diffs the lot

3 port boost solenoid, and a modified downpipe bell.

Yes get a JDM but most certainly get it mapped straight away for 98ron.
Old 10 September 2007, 06:24 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

The WR1 does have the DCCD, what it doesnt have is alot of the extras the JDM's come with (the quick rack steering for instance ) and these can be run on 98 ron quite happily, they just retard the ecu multiplexer down if they see a problem, though they are a lot more tunable than the WR1 and much less money

Tony
Old 10 September 2007, 06:38 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

Ignore Tony Burns where comparing cars are concerned Bigman, he is like a broken record with the needle stuck in the JDM groove . If someone asks about comparing one car to another, neither of which is a JDM impreza, as sure as eggs are eggs he will be along ranting JDM....JDM

I had a play with a few mates PPP'd STI8's in my old P1 when it was standard. The P1 is quicker without a doubt, and the power to wieght figures don't lie either- whatever Prodrive say. There are a few other factors such as aerodynamics, gearing and torque that come into it but in a straight drag race P/W ratio counts for a lot.
Old 10 September 2007, 06:52 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1mark
Ignore Tony Burns where comparing cars are concerned Bigman, he is like a broken record with the needle stuck in the JDM groove . If someone asks about comparing one car to another, neither of which is a JDM impreza, as sure as eggs are eggs he will be along ranting JDM....JDM

I had a play with a few mates PPP'd STI8's in my old P1 when it was standard. The P1 is quicker without a doubt, and the power to wieght figures don't lie either- whatever Prodrive say. There are a few other factors such as aerodynamics, gearing and torque that come into it but in a straight drag race P/W ratio counts for a lot.
Of course the P1 isnt based on a V5 STI/WRX hybrid which is a JDM car as for the PPP, yes it is quicker, it is more aerodynamic and has more power and more torque (and better components).
Why the JDM addition, well as you dont seem to know much about impreza's, for the price of a P1 you can have a 360bhp road going monster that handles better, has more power (after a remap and exhaust) wont go bang and is more drivable and easier to live with than the above 2.

Tony
Old 10 September 2007, 07:01 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

As i said......a broken record.....

The geezer asked about a P1 V STI ppp.....not a JDM.

There are a lot of points you make that i happen to agree with, but your head is so firmly stuck down the JDM toilet that sometimes you can't see over the rim.
Old 10 September 2007, 07:07 PM
crazychemist76
Scooby Newbie

Thinking the PPP is gonna be better bet now, allthough a WR1 looks tempting, maybe a visit to bank manager is in order?? How much extra on top of £14k for a decent one??
Old 10 September 2007, 07:08 PM
crazychemist76
Scooby Newbie

And are they that much quicker than a PPP??
Old 10 September 2007, 07:10 PM
David Roberts
Scooby Newbie

A JDM is probably not the best Subaru to have first time over (it can be hard work getting insurace on an import if you havn't racked up a few years no claims in a perfomance car) neither is a P1. They're both great cars and should be considered in the future. Are you going to track/race the car? Is it an every day thing? or weekends only? P1's do get very sluggish over time, this is usually down to the mass air flowmeter. Once changed it can be like driving a completely different car.
Old 10 September 2007, 07:35 PM
crazychemist76
Scooby Newbie

Gonna be using it daily for work as just moving jobs to a store closer to home so a fun car on North Wales twisties is a must.
Old 10 September 2007, 09:35 PM
bbigman2000
Scooby Regular

mark, cheers mate, yes !!

I definitley preffered my P1 to my 8 ppp for sure, but was yours ever standard man LOL

crazy chemist, your looking at 19k for a decent WR1 im afraid, and yes I have both cars !! I doubt the ppp is making 300bhp it maybe appx, my Wr1 made 322bhp on the rollers standard, trust me the WR1 mine atleast is FAST.

What people like Tony dont get is this, a Tuned car is no longer a standard easy to sell and insure car, there is something very cool about owning a proper UK prodrive subaru, designed and finished off here in the UK by the best in the business.

Tony, how the fck can a JDM sti 8 be more tuneable than a WR1 ?

And do we really care whether you have 360bhp and ive only got 322 ?

No because, I wont ever see you on the road, or a track and even if I did see you on the road, I wouldnt be entering into some childish street race !
Old 10 September 2007, 09:41 PM
JP4
Scooby Regular

Location: 700+ WR1 aka The Vuvu Zela...10.6 @ 136 weighing 1370kg....say no more....

Originally Posted by crazychemist76
Thinking the PPP is gonna be better bet now, allthough a WR1 looks tempting, maybe a visit to bank manager is in order?? How much extra on top of £14k for a decent one??
You should be able to pick up a nice WR1 for 16k - 19k mark.

Both Bbigman2000 and p1mark have made some good points. Don't be too caught up about the standard power but more what is feasable and practical for your needs. Remember the quicker the car the more petrol it will drink . Also as David Roberts points out take into account the insurance on "import" models - I've had a Jap Type R and know not a lot of companies will touch them.

As i said before if you want a combination of both a P1 and STI PPP then WR1is the best choice pound for pound.

JP

Last edited by JP4; 10 September 2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10 September 2007, 09:42 PM
bbigman2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by crazychemist76
Gonna be using it daily for work as just moving jobs to a store closer to home so a fun car on North Wales twisties is a must.

Hey mate, I forgot, I put mine up for sale the other night on a whim of wanting to get an X5 here it is Subaru : MY03 STI UK PPP 30k Miles Mica Black

you may be interested, id easy give you a good discount on it if your a genuine guy, otherwise I was gonna leave it on pistonheads for a while see what happens, and then take it off and just chop it in for an X5.
Old 10 September 2007, 10:04 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bbigman2000
Hey mate, I forgot, I put mine up for sale the other night on a whim of wanting to get an X5 here it is Subaru : MY03 STI UK PPP 30k Miles Mica Black

you may be interested, id easy give you a good discount on it if your a genuine guy, otherwise I was gonna leave it on pistonheads for a while see what happens, and then take it off and just chop it in for an X5.
bloody hell bigman you just got the thing i remember seein a vid of your cars on sidc i think you had more cars than arnold clark

Quick Reply: WRX STi PPP vs P1