Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on this car please (JDM STi Wagon)

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2007, 01:41 PM
dave_usuallyonpistonheads
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on this car please (JDM STi Wagon)

Hello all, first post.

After a lot of head scratching I've decided the only car that will satisfy my need for a practical dog mobile that also poses as a ***** out sports car is an Impreza Wagon.

But I'm new to Imps and unsure as to what the many models include and what to be wary of (I've read the FAQ's etc and still a but onfused).

Anyway, car I really like the look of here:-

£8795 - JDM Spec Wagon - 2001

What's the concensus on that one. Is it too pricey or about right?

Can someone point me in the direction of a detailed spec for that model or any other info on it at all. i.e. how's it different from a UK car?

What should I look out for when buying a Scooby, particularly that one. What questions should I be asking. Also, is it right I couldn't run that particular car on anything other than the higher octane fuels?

Thanks in advance for amy replies.
Old 07 September 2007, 09:24 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

I dont think that its out of the way. Theyre as rare as rocking horse sh*te in Japan: no one bought New Age STI 'Wagons, hence the model was deleted
Old 07 September 2007, 10:01 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

If its a straight car, its not a bad purchase IMO.

I've looked at it before on ebay. Insurance might be steep though.
Old 07 September 2007, 11:17 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by dave_usuallyonpistonheads

Can someone point me in the direction of a detailed spec for that model or any other info on it at all. i.e. how's it different from a UK car?
It's very much the same spec as a JDM Sti 4 Door but as said "rare as"

IIRC The model code (look under bonnet on manufactors plate should be something be like)

if genuine STi wagon with 6 speed box model code would be more like 2001 GGBA5EH or 2002 GGBB5EH

If a WRX wagon with 5 speed box But converted to 6 and look like a STi model code would be more like 2001 GGBA5DD or 2002 GGBB5DD

but from the Pics it certainly looks Genuine but double check

how's it different from a UK car?
IIRC
better engine 300bhp (wrx 220bhp or 250bhp PPP'd)
UK rev to 7Krpm JDM 8Krpm
Brembo brake (WRX 4pot)
Zenon lights
intercooler spray
rear Privacy glass

What should I look out for when buying a Scooby, particularly that one. What questions should I be asking.
Ask what the "BIMTA import grade" was, basically the car is given a good going over before sale and it idicates it's condition

5+ is best(nearly new and perfect) but if it been smashed and repaired migh be a 3+

5 ( low miles showroom) etc etc really if a 2002 imaculate and average miles should be looking at 4 but somewhere is a definative interpritation of these grades

Has it been remapped

Service history

HPI checked

Also, is it right I couldn't run that particular car on anything other than the higher octane fuels?
No if not remapped in UK, original map was for 100 octane but is OK on super unleaded.

If remapped then it should still run on SUL but if you don't boot it you can get away with 95 ron

It's about £500 to remap it

As said insurance will be steeper for a STi compared to WRX wagon

IIRC IMHO

Tony

Ps by the way Welcome
Old 08 September 2007, 11:43 AM
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies. Very interesting.

I hate the fact it's rare as rocking horse $hit, makes me want it even more.....and now!

Insurance is a not too cripling £979 but will prob get it insured with the wife as she has loads more ncb than me.

That's providing it's still for sale!

Just need to sell my existing motor, anyone want a very sensible VW Passat diesel? Volkswagen : 1.9TDI 130 Sport Manual

Will keep you posted.
Old 08 September 2007, 01:54 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Theres no such thing as a 'BIMTA auction grade'. Theres no point asking what the grade was, ask to see the auction appraisal sheet. No sheet = no sale, as it was either poor or even worse, from a docks auction here.

Simon
Old 08 September 2007, 07:19 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Yeh, nice cars these and reasonable price. It appears a genuine STI throughout..can anyone see the Brembo's ?

Trending Topics

Old 08 September 2007, 08:44 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Default No Brembo's !

Narrow track means no flared front arches = no brembos.... and no STI alloys to clear them. Still wish it had made it here in the UK back in 2002

Dunx

And three dogs + MTB
Old 08 September 2007, 09:42 PM
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Simon 69
Theres no such thing as a 'BIMTA auction grade'. Theres no point asking what the grade was, ask to see the auction appraisal sheet. No sheet = no sale, as it was either poor or even worse, from a docks auction here.

Simon
Oops...shame cos thats one of the questions I've sent off....I thought there was an auction grading system??

And I thought with it being an STI it should have brembo's as standard....did they not all come with them?

Might just go over for a look tomorrow and see for meself what it's like.
Old 09 September 2007, 10:46 AM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

BIMTA is short for the British Independent Motor Trade Association. The auction grades are decided at the Japanese auction house, when the car was appraised. BIMTA cant confirm the Japanese auction grade, in fact, if they were to then it would be contrary to many of their members' interests.....

The auction grade will be clearly marked in the top right hand corner of the appraisal sheet. You are looking for a '4' as a minimum and ideally a '4.5' - '5.5'. Grades such as '0', 'A1' & 'R' indicate a 'repair history' car and should be avoided.

If the vendor doesnt have the auction appraisal sheet, then I wouldnt consider buying the car. This is likely to be either because the car has a low grade / repair history or because the car was bought from a docks auction here in England (docks auction cars are usually poor grades, spammed up for sale here). There is no good reason for a genuine importer not to have the appraisal sheet, in fact, I will go further and say that the appraisal sheet forms a substantial part of the vehicle's provenance.

Simon
Old 09 September 2007, 11:41 AM
Scooby Newbie

Interesting stuff, I never knew the auction report was such a big deal.

Just spoke to the guy.

Apparantly he has family in Japan who source vehicles direct sometimes so there is no auction sheet with the car at all?? He's had it for around 2 months, started off at £9995
He also intimating that he'll take my Passat and 5k which is a fair bit less than he wants for it.

Other than that he states it's mint and has nothing wrong with it.

What would you do???
Old 09 September 2007, 12:16 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

It could be true, but I have lost count of the number of ****-and-bull stories I have heard about why there isnt an auction sheet (everyone has friends / family there). Usually its because the car came from a dock auction and sometimes because the grade was poor, usually a repair history car. The best way to tell is to ask about the de-registration process: he probably wont understand their vehicle sale procedures either. To be sure, you can opt for the cheaper BIMTA certificate, which confirms the mileage when the car was last auctioned, along with the date (I think).....

Simon
Old 09 September 2007, 12:57 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

Not sure where you are or where the car is. But if you ask nicely, someone on here that is local may take a look for you - or at least accompany you. Does look nice though.

Also, the guy has sold other cars (inc. Impreza's) it seems.

1998 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Version 4 Type R / P1 coupe on eBay, Subaru, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (item 250142489626 end time 19-Jul-07 18:24:46 BST)

Might be worth messaging the other buyers and see what they have to say. Only takes 5 minutes.
Old 09 September 2007, 03:02 PM
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by James Neill
Not sure where you are or where the car is. But if you ask nicely, someone on here that is local may take a look for you - or at least accompany you. Does look nice though.

Also, the guy has sold other cars (inc. Impreza's) it seems.

1998 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Version 4 Type R / P1 coupe on eBay, Subaru, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (item 250142489626 end time 19-Jul-07 18:24:46 BST)

Might be worth messaging the other buyers and see what they have to say. Only takes 5 minutes.
Good idea. Notice the guy's feedback for that car is neutral with a comment regarding a lack of paperwork?? I've sent a message off anyway, see if he replies.

The car is in Burnley, Lancs. I'm only in Leeds so it's not too far off but if someone would be willing come along with me that has a good idea about these cars I'd be very grateful.

One more thing, can anyone recommend a decent place oop north to get such a car re-mapped so it'll run without issue on our fuel? The wife was not impressed when I told her putting normal petrol in will make it go bang!
Old 09 September 2007, 03:02 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

Lancashire? F*ck that!
Old 09 September 2007, 04:37 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Simon 69
BIMTA is short for the British Independent Motor Trade Association. The auction grades are decided at the Japanese auction house, when the car was appraised. BIMTA cant confirm the Japanese auction grade, in fact, if they were to then it would be contrary to many of their members' interests.....

The auction grade will be clearly marked in the top right hand corner of the appraisal sheet. You are looking for a '4' as a minimum and ideally a '4.5' - '5.5'. Grades such as '0', 'A1' & 'R' indicate a 'repair history' car and should be avoided.

If the vendor doesnt have the auction appraisal sheet, then I wouldnt consider buying the car. This is likely to be either because the car has a low grade / repair history or because the car was bought from a docks auction here in England (docks auction cars are usually poor grades, spammed up for sale here). There is no good reason for a genuine importer not to have the appraisal sheet, in fact, I will go further and say that the appraisal sheet forms a substantial part of the vehicle's provenance.
Simon thanks for putting my post straight I engaged the keyboard before brain, again

Dave Piston heads, sorry if I misslead you on the Auction grade but simon69 is correct

and also agree with James Niels ask another car buyer, customer off EbAY

Tony
Old 09 September 2007, 06:01 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

One more thing, can anyone recommend a decent place oop north to get such a car re-mapped so it'll run without issue on our fuel? The wife was not impressed when I told her putting normal petrol in will make it go bang!
Scoobyclinic
Old 10 September 2007, 08:15 PM
Scooby Newbie

Cheers, those guys seem to know wat they're on about.

Looking at their cars for sale throws up a further dilema.

ScoobyBits | Cars For Sale | Scoobys

White Wagon v5 STi looks pretty bloomin good.

The blue one on Ebay just seems like the right car, to me it looks wicked....but the white one, nice too, in a different way?????? hmm......which would you have?
Old 10 September 2007, 08:49 PM
*LJB*
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE The blue one on Ebay just seems like the right car, to me it looks wicked....but the white one, nice too, in a different way?????? hmm......which would you have?[/QUOTE]

The white one for definate I really like the white v5 sti wagons, I would love to get one to go with mine

I think they would look sooooooooooo good together

Much nicer looking than the blue one in my opinion, not sure about performance tho.
Old 10 September 2007, 09:04 PM
Scooby Newbie

lovely looking car that m8.

How do they compare performance wise to the bug eye version?
Old 10 September 2007, 09:21 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Similar power, but about 200kg less weight...

If you've not driven both classic and newage Imprezas, it's well worth giving them both a go before you take the plunge. I discovered to my cost that the car that seems the best bet on paper - in my case, a brand new '05 JDM-spec STI a couple of years ago - isn't necessarily the car you'll enjoy the most. I miss my first scooby, a MY00 UK classic shape, a lot more than the '05 car - and I now have a '96 STI (and a comfy BMW diesel!).
Old 11 September 2007, 12:19 PM
Scooby Newbie

link

Another one. Virtually identical to the first one on Ebay but 30 miles the other way.

Rang that guy and it's the same story. No Auction papers but seems to have full Japanese service history.

Looks like I'll be busy this weekend....and may have a new car!

Can someone tell me what mileage/interval the cambelt needs to be changed? I don't want to get one of these only to find it needs doing in 6 months.
Old 11 September 2007, 12:47 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

Dave, do a search on here about Keighley Trade Centre as they dont seem to have a good reputation, infact it`s a terrible reputation.
Old 11 September 2007, 12:52 PM
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by n one
Dave, do a search on here about Keighley Trade Centre as they dont seem to have a good reputation, infact it`s a terrible reputation.
Good call m8. Cheers.

Give them buggers a miss then.
Old 11 September 2007, 07:09 PM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

link

Another one. Virtually identical to the first one on Ebay but 30 miles the other way.

Rang that guy and it's the same story. No Auction papers but seems to have full Japanese service history.

Looks like I'll be busy this weekend....and may have a new car!

Can someone tell me what mileage/interval the cambelt needs to be changed? I don't want to get one of these only to find it needs doing in 6 months.
In my experience, Japanese cars dont have paper service histories...