Sponsored by:

evo 8 fq300 or sti uk?

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2007, 08:42 PM
chriz1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default evo 8 fq300 or sti uk?

Toying up the idea of getting one but which?

want to hear peoples views on both cars...
whos owned both pro's and con's please
Old 06 September 2007, 08:45 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Owned neither, which clearly qualifies me to answer this

Out of the box, the Evo will handle better, be more tunable, will not have a nice burble noise and will generally cost more to run (servicing/maintenance). In addition Evos generally cover substantially less miles than scoobs, so putting miles on an Evo will tend to depreciate the car heavily.
Old 06 September 2007, 09:07 PM
Mikkel
Scooby Regular

Daily driver/sole car? Defo the scoob...

Not intending to mod it and want the fastest car possible for the weekend? Evo.

Go out and test drive them. There isn't much in it depending on what you want, so only you can decide.
Old 06 September 2007, 09:33 PM
chriz1
Scooby Newbie

probably only do about 130 mile a week,got a works van for the week!
O.k few more questions

1.if i bought a sti uk standard could i easily make it to around 300 bhp mark without the PPP?and at what cost and what does this involve?

2.I know on evo's the cluthches can easily go with to many launches what the sti's like?
Old 06 September 2007, 09:48 PM
scoobystiv8
Scooby Regular

Twice gone to buy Evos both times come a way with Subarus.
Classic MY00 and now a MY03 STi
Sti V7 + will easy make 330-340 bhp with either sports cat or decat, fuel pump and remap on the standard vf35. Clutch is fine at that level.
Old 06 September 2007, 09:53 PM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Location: My Beautiful STi is now sold, tho on the look out for another MINT scoob.

Originally Posted by chriz1
probably only do about 130 mile a week,got a works van for the week!
O.k few more questions

1.if i bought a sti uk standard could i easily make it to around 300 bhp mark without the PPP?and at what cost and what does this involve?

2.I know on evo's the cluthches can easily go with to many launches what the sti's like?
UK Sti are around 265BHP in standard form, the PPP takes it up to around the 300 BHP there or there abouts
This will cost you around anything from £1000 (2nd hand parts) to £1800-£2200 from reputable tuners.

The Evo's 8 however (MR is the best ) in standard form are approx 310 BHP give or take
Aprrox £1800 (new parts) will see 380+ BHP & 375IBS.

Like every one says -
Every day driving - scoob
Weekend Play toy - Evo

Test drive the 2 - then YOU decide.
Old 06 September 2007, 09:53 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driven an evo8,evo9,WR1 and a WRX,SCOOBY every time for me.

Trending Topics

Old 07 September 2007, 11:56 AM
chriz1
Scooby Newbie

Im sure thats not the only route(PPP) to get more power from the sti uk?
How long a clutches lasting you lot?
Old 07 September 2007, 12:00 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Owned neither, which clearly qualifies me to answer this

Out of the box, the Evo will handle better, be more tunable, will not have a nice burble noise and will generally cost more to run (servicing/maintenance). In addition Evos generally cover substantially less miles than scoobs, so putting miles on an Evo will tend to depreciate the car heavily.

What do you mean by this Lumi - are you saying that Evos start to break down once they reach a high mileage (ie than they are not as durable as Scoobs ) ?

cheers.
Old 07 September 2007, 03:05 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chriz1
Im sure thats not the only route(PPP) to get more power from the sti uk?
How long a clutches lasting you lot?
Engine is outputting 150% over standard, clutch is fine. A lot of other people running at this spec too without problems.
Old 07 September 2007, 03:07 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
[/b]

What do you mean by this Lumi - are you saying that Evos start to break down once they reach a high mileage (ie than they are not as durable as Scoobs ) ?

cheers.
It's well known that the evo eat parts a little quicker.

I think he was referring to that because the shorter service interval and being a harsher everyday drive. Most people do less miles in them. Therefore higher mileage ones would be less common and least expensive.
Old 07 September 2007, 03:23 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Yup, that is right Gaz. Take a look in the trader at 3 year old scoobs for example, and then also look at 3 year old Evos. On average the scoobs will have covered far more miles. This will mean that:-
1) on average people find them easier to live with as an everyday car and therefore tend to use them more. (that maybe down to cost/comfort whatever)
2) if you do put miles on an Evo, when you come to sell, yours will be the one that sticks out like a sore thumb with high miles. It will make it harder to sell.

130 miles a week is 7k miles a year, lower than scoob average, but maybe higher than evo average. Have a look and see what you think.

As another example have a look at lotus elise, v honda s2000. Lotus will tell you that the elise is an every day car, and just as weather proof as say an s2000. The s2000 on sale will have on average covered far more miles. This tells you something...its either down to cost, comfort or both.
Old 07 September 2007, 05:46 PM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

I recently (well, 6 months ago) had the same dilemma when looking to replace my 03 STI. I test drove an Evo VIII MR-FQ300 and a FQ340 (I didn't bother looking at the standard 260bhp Evo VIII as this seemed a backwards step), really liked both cars but was ultimately unable to find a good condition, low mileage, FMSH example anywhere near me in any colour other than silver, which I really didn't want. I'm sure I could have hung on and found one... eventually...

The other deciding factor for me was age - I could afford a two year old Scooby, whereas I'd have been looking at a three year old FQ model Evo VIII for the same money. Eventually I bought an 05 STI PPP in white, though I had to travel down to London even then, so not exactly convenient.

If I had been able to stretch to an Evo IX then I would definitely have gone for that, as I love that bright blue/purple colour they're available in, but they were just that bit too expensive, especially given that we'd just bought a brand new S2000 the same month! I'm now planning for an Evo X to replace the Scoob in a year or so... if they turn out as good as everyone's expecting...

Presumably you already know about the increased servicing frequency for an Evo as opposed to a Scoob? I also found that insurance was quite a bit more expensive than for my STI.

Last edited by lordretsudo; 07 September 2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07 September 2007, 06:21 PM
spireite
BANNED

scooby every time the flat 4 burble is an instant hard on
Old 07 September 2007, 08:10 PM
shep ppp
Scooby Regular

New evos are now 9k miles on servicing they only needed to be done at 4.5k for the AYC. Plus who ever only changes there oil in a perfomance car every 9000 miles anyway?
Old 07 September 2007, 08:19 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

On the whole, evo's are so bloody tiring and uncomfortable to drive, in comparison to Subaru's, that people don't usually use them to do 'mileage'.

The old adage is that if you want to go round the block at 200mph buy an evo, but if you want to do more than 10 miles take an Impreza.

I have to admit I love my Evo- its so much more focussed than any Impreza I've ever had, or, for that matter, driven. It excels where the Impreza is mediocre at best. BUT I couldn't drive it every day, no way.

As an every day driver I'd take the Impreza every time, but for a 'toy' its the Evo every time.
Old 07 September 2007, 08:51 PM
sti69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
On the whole, evo's are so bloody tiring and uncomfortable to drive, in comparison to Subaru's, that people don't usually use them to do 'mileage'.

The old adage is that if you want to go round the block at 200mph buy an evo, but if you want to do more than 10 miles take an Impreza.

I have to admit I love my Evo- its so much more focussed than any Impreza I've ever had, or, for that matter, driven. It excels where the Impreza is mediocre at best. BUT I couldn't drive it every day, no way.

As an every day driver I'd take the Impreza every time, but for a 'toy' its the Evo every time.
Totally agree mate, if i had the money i'd buy another scooby for week day driving then use my evo as a weekend toy!!!
Old 07 September 2007, 08:52 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

The Evo FQ is a really easy car to tune, a FQ300 with only a FQ400 turbo up pipe and remap will easily make 400bhp 400 Ib/ft. No need for a bigger turbo or injectors, only worry is a new AYC diff is 4 grand.
Old 07 September 2007, 10:33 PM
lisescooby
Scooby Regular

if it's gonna be a w/end car, which it sounds like to me then defo go for the evo, i/husband have an evo 9 fq320, as well as my scooby, the evo is a totally diff drive to the scooby but its an awesome drive, youl get noticed in an evo more cos there arn't many about, used to have a subaru wr1, but always prefered evos, but obviously i love my scooby!!!
Old 07 September 2007, 10:47 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scooby all the way
Old 08 September 2007, 12:19 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I've just HPI'd an EVO 7 I saw today and will see if I can do a deal tomorr

I absolutely loved my STi V (before it was nicked 2 yrs ago) and now need another Jap rocket. The EVO is very 'interesting' to drive as the cornering seems so effortless.

I do prefer the look of it to Scoobs (why are they still so pants at styling?) and am wary of imported STi's known weak points on more miley engines. This Evo's just had an uprated clutch - they chew them! It is going to be very much a second car and I hope I like it as much as I loved the Scoob.

It is tricky to find a good Evo with decent service history, but may it may be easier to sell on as there are loads of Scoobs out there - about 600 on piston heads alone.

D