Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust purchase.....Just to clarify.....

Search this Thread

Old 30 August 2007, 11:52 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust purchase.....Just to clarify.....

I am going to order an Afterburner Vortex and a hi-flow silenced Afterburner centre section both from Scoobyworld.

The Impreza I am fitting it to is a 2007 Hawkeye STi.

I am going for the straight exit BB instead of the angled exit as I have been told that it will foul on the diffuser.

Do the backbox and mid section that I have mentioned match up perfectly fitment wise so that they are a straight fit to each other?

Also is the Afterburner mid section a direct fit onto the original STi components which would be the cat pipe on my car?

Is the centre section and backbox 2.5" or 3" bore?

Finally does fitting a backbox and centre section invalidate the 3 year warranty that comes with the car?

Thanks in advance

G
Old 30 August 2007, 12:03 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going for the straight exit BB instead of the angled exit as I have been told that it will foul on the diffuser.
Correct

Do the backbox and mid section that I have mentioned match up perfectly fitment wise so that they are a straight fit to each other
Should do, but with any hand made part there is potential for mis-alignment and I have read about problems with afterburner systems. Fitted by an exhaust professional should be no problems.

Also is the Afterburner mid section a direct fit onto the original STi components which would be the cat pipe on my car?
Yes if you are going for the 2.5" system. The changes from pre MY06 cars are seen in the rear cat pipe and down pipe, the centre and BB fitment are the same.

Is the centre section and backbox 2.5" or 3" bore?
2.5" unless you are going for the new Afterburner which I think is being made with the option of 3" but for a 2.5" fitment. Have a search there was a recent thread about the options for the new afterburner.

Finally does fitting a backbox and centre section invalidate the 3 year warranty that comes with the car?
Yes it does, but keep the originals and put them back on should you need to make a claim.
Old 30 August 2007, 12:08 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Thats spot on thanks for that mate!

The new Afterburner Vortex 3" is not yet available for MY06 STi's I believe, just upto 05s. So I am guessing I will be going with the 2.5" system, which should therefore fit straight onto the cat pipe being the same diameter.

Just checking everything before I place the order.

thanks again

G
Old 30 August 2007, 12:19 PM
Scooby Senior

That is true but the bits you are replacing aren't any different to the pre MY06 cars so fitment would be the same. I am running my H&S 2.5" centre from my 53WRX on my new MY06 STi.

I would phone and check TBH if you want 3" in between, personally I would stick with 2.5".

I have read one MY07 STi on here make 292/330 at the wheels on a full 3" decat and yet I have 288/323 at the wheels with sports cat 2.5" system. Not sure of the benefits of a partial 3" system unless you have big power plans.
Old 30 August 2007, 12:25 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Thats great mate, cheers!

Yeah I am sure the Afterburner range only comes in a 2.5" for MY06 onwards at the moment anyway. I know they developed a 3" BB for the MY05 and that it will be developed at a later day for the MY06/07, at least thats what it said on Scoobyworld...

Think I'll just order whats available at the moment for the my STi.

Thanks for your help.

G
Old 30 August 2007, 12:30 PM
Scooby Senior

They are good quality parts having been made by H&S.
Old 30 August 2007, 01:43 PM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

All ordered now, so went for the straight exit and silenced centre section.

Unfortunately the backbox is made to order so will take 3 working days, although that is still a pretty quick turn around, the centre section is here by monday and then I have my appointment at Revolution tuesday morning. Would have been ideal if they both arrived by then. If the backbox arrives at 8am tuesday morning I'm laughing!

Unless I get revolution to fit the centre section with the original STi exhaust and then get the backbox fitted at a later date when it arrives...

Looking forward to it all now.

G

Trending Topics

Old 30 August 2007, 02:41 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by magicgreg

G
the warranty is as follows the part fitted must have been the sole cause of the malfunction for example if your window wiper cease to work subaru must prove it was the exhaust that did it. lol