Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jap imports - looked after over there ??

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2007, 08:57 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jap imports - looked after over there ??

Just wonder what the general opinion is off jap imports regards how they are normally looked after " over there " ie. do the majority off owners have there cars regularly serviced ?? a lot off imports come fitted with a lot off fancy named extras fitted before import ie. boost controllers etc,etc is this a bad thing with regards showing that the car has been used to the max or what ??

anyone know just what the speed limits are over there ?? are the cars likely to have been maxed out or is it all pretty much the same as over here ie. the cars generally dont get used to there max potential the majority off time ??

mots- how often is a test similar to our own MOT required over there ??

rust is this a problem as such on recently imported cars ??

overall just trying to learn a bit more about jap imports in general ??

leaving the insurance situation aside are imports generally in a lot better condition than uk cars off the same age ??
Old 29 August 2007, 09:15 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JDM cars are restricted to 112mph (but vitrually all are modified to exceed that ) speed limits are similar to ours.
Most of the cars (impreza,evo etc) normally have low mileage because they aren't used everyday due to the very good public transport system in the large towns and cities.
They don't put salt on the road hence why most cars aren't undersealed but doesn't mean they won't rust.
My 93wrx is in fair condition (it is 14 years old after all) could do with a few bits of bodywork touching up.
Don't know about their MOTs though and it would be quite hard to say which would be in better condition if they are both cared for properly you couldn't seperate them
Old 29 August 2007, 09:17 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay cheers appreciate your advice.
Old 29 August 2007, 10:07 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

My car is as cheap to insure as a UK one

TX.
Old 30 August 2007, 01:13 AM
mykp
Scooby Regular

mots are much stricter than ours hence why most owners buy new when the major mot comes up at three years, if you saw a japanese mot certificate its a2 size. plus the mot is about £500.

speed limits are a bit lower than ours but thats not an issue if you live in a city cos you'll never reach them cos of traffic.

average japanese drivers arent as good as here especially driving at high speed. they also tend to have a lot of fender benders due to narrow streets and no stop signs at minor junctions.

however most japanese petrol stations are manned, ie, they pump your fuel, they also wipe windscreens, check oil, etc. bit like 1960s america!

there is a massive movement in japan to treat your car like you would a cherrished possesion, as property prices are high and people spend their money on their cars instead.

some cars do get hammered, really hammered but it is rare to see these being exported as all exports are graded and the crap is usually turned into scrap. that doesnt mean that some doesnt leave japan! unfortunately.

Cars over 10 years in japan are also worth peanuts, I used to own a Toyota Crown, pre Lexus type motor. at 12 years old (with 42,000kms) it was worth £300 in Japan. Hence why they are cheap to ship to the uk and still make a profit, as a subaru size car will probably cost £500ish in shipping fees.

I have owned 3 imports, 2 personally imported and bought in japan by myself. I lived there for 3 years and go back for 2 months in every year. Japan imports are usually better equipped, lower mileage and in better condition than a Uk equivalent. Oh I should mention new cars are cheaper as well. A forester STI is £16k with all the toys.

BTW if you want cheap import insurance try A-plan, I have a JDM forester, 240bhp + mods and I pay £285.
Old 30 August 2007, 07:20 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^ Awesome post, well played fella!

Just a point on the auction grading, are the cars independantly graded & can you take the grades as gospel? My car was Grade 5A which is obviously good & when I saw it (eventually) must say that I agree. What are the chances of a good grading followed by a not so good car turning up?

TX.
Old 30 August 2007, 07:26 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mykp
mots are much stricter than ours hence why most owners buy new when the major mot comes up at three years, if you saw a japanese mot certificate its a2 size. plus the mot is about £500.

speed limits are a bit lower than ours but thats not an issue if you live in a city cos you'll never reach them cos of traffic.

average japanese drivers arent as good as here especially driving at high speed. they also tend to have a lot of fender benders due to narrow streets and no stop signs at minor junctions.

however most japanese petrol stations are manned, ie, they pump your fuel, they also wipe windscreens, check oil, etc. bit like 1960s america!

there is a massive movement in japan to treat your car like you would a cherrished possesion, as property prices are high and people spend their money on their cars instead.

some cars do get hammered, really hammered but it is rare to see these being exported as all exports are graded and the crap is usually turned into scrap. that doesnt mean that some doesnt leave japan! unfortunately.

Cars over 10 years in japan are also worth peanuts, I used to own a Toyota Crown, pre Lexus type motor. at 12 years old (with 42,000kms) it was worth £300 in Japan. Hence why they are cheap to ship to the uk and still make a profit, as a subaru size car will probably cost £500ish in shipping fees.

I have owned 3 imports, 2 personally imported and bought in japan by myself. I lived there for 3 years and go back for 2 months in every year. Japan imports are usually better equipped, lower mileage and in better condition than a Uk equivalent. Oh I should mention new cars are cheaper as well. A forester STI is £16k with all the toys.

BTW if you want cheap import insurance try A-plan, I have a JDM forester, 240bhp + mods and I pay £285.

Perfect mate, exactly the info I was looking for, thanks again.

cheers

Trending Topics

Old 30 August 2007, 08:21 AM
mykp
Scooby Regular

cheers for that

they are supposed to follow rules at auction and grading is supposed to be universal. however it can be subjective as the person grading them could grade a car slightly lower or higher than someone else. it also depends on the "risk" the company buying the car here wish to take, a lower graded car might be imported and then given some work here, and the paperwork "lost" if you know what I mean. But a decent importer should have all the documentation. So never buy an import without the certification of De-registration in Japan. This will also have the milage in it from when the car was de-registered. There shpuld also be a copy of this in Japanese.

However, and this does pain me to say this, Japanese people in the motor trade are generally more honest than over here. Clocking is unheard of in Japan as an example. but nothing is infalable
Old 30 August 2007, 08:26 AM
billybenton
Scooby Regular

great info dude.
Old 30 August 2007, 08:43 AM
[Davey]
Scooby Regular

Most of the JDM Import classic's I've seen while "shopping" have evidence of accident/parking damage, I think due to the sheer density of cars out there, they get quite battered.
Old 30 August 2007, 08:57 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
My car is as cheap to insure as a UK one

TX.
mine was cheaper than a uk STI even with all mods declared
Old 30 August 2007, 09:31 AM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by [Davey]
Most of the JDM Import classic's I've seen while "shopping" have evidence of accident/parking damage, I think due to the sheer density of cars out there, they get quite battered.
I thought - not sure how accurate this is - but when the cars are shipped over here in containers or parked next to each other car-ferry style, that the handbrakes are left off to stop them from seizing on. Only problem is the cars can roll back and forth into each other or into the sides of the container, hence some of the scuff marks you find on the bumpers?
Old 30 August 2007, 10:01 AM
mac12
Scooby Regular

what i find amazing is that most of the 12/14 year old wrx's have between 40,000 and 60.000 miles
Old 30 August 2007, 10:38 AM
a_fisher
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Daft Lad
I thought - not sure how accurate this is - but when the cars are shipped over here in containers or parked next to each other car-ferry style, that the handbrakes are left off to stop them from seizing on. Only problem is the cars can roll back and forth into each other or into the sides of the container, hence some of the scuff marks you find on the bumpers?
Not sure about the handbrake thing, but they're strapped to the floor of the container quite tightly
Old 30 August 2007, 10:52 AM
mykp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mac12
what i find amazing is that most of the 12/14 year old wrx's have between 40,000 and 60.000 miles
why would you use your car when:

1. public transport is reliable, on time and cheap.
2. parking is ridiculously expensive (I have seen £5 for 10 minutes)
3. Motorways are tolled
4. most people use bicycles or mopeds to get to the train station
5. its safe to walk about (even at 3am) without fear of muggin/rape or worse.

so most cars only get used in the evening or weekends unless you live rural and anyone whos been to Japan will know there isnt many of those places. Take a look at japan on google earth and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by mykp; 30 August 2007 at 10:53 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 30 August 2007, 01:41 PM
mac12
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mykp
why would you use your car when:

1. public transport is reliable, on time and cheap.
2. parking is ridiculously expensive (I have seen £5 for 10 minutes)
3. Motorways are tolled
4. most people use bicycles or mopeds to get to the train station
5. its safe to walk about (even at 3am) without fear of muggin/rape or worse.

so most cars only get used in the evening or weekends unless you live rural and anyone whos been to Japan will know there isnt many of those places. Take a look at japan on google earth and you'll see what I mean.
never been to japan so cant comment on the 5 points mentioned but it seems strange to me, maybe everybody in japan drives to the same places then and it must have nothing to do with them being clocked to dramaticlly improve there resale value.
i looked at buying a wrx 1995 46,000miles but as soon as i opened the door you could see that the interior et,etc, had covered alot more miles than the claimed 46,000.
i'm not saying that all imports are clocked but i would defanutly take the mileage claims with a big pinch of salt.

Last edited by mac12; 30 August 2007 at 01:45 PM. Reason: because i can
Old 30 August 2007, 01:45 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by a_fisher
Not sure about the handbrake thing, but they're strapped to the floor of the container quite tightly
Fair enough, I'll get my coat then
Old 30 August 2007, 02:18 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

have a look at this: here is a few examples.

Congratulations

I am not defending the japanese here, I am saying that there cars are generally low milage I have a 1997 Forester and when I bought it two years ago it had done, 43000kms. Thats just just under 27K miles. My previous car a Toyota crown was a 1989 model and had just 38000kms on the clock. A 2003 Legacy B4 I imported for my dad had just 14000kms on the clock, none where clocked. Milage logging in Japan is recorded on the MOT as it is here now.

I would say if they have been clocked then its probably by someone in the UK who have imported a lower grade car and then clocked it to make it appear better than it is. There are more scumbag car sales men in this country than in Japan I can assure you of that.

What I will also say it, supply and demand. there is a demand for some models of cars in this country and this has pushed the price up. A prime example is the Nissan Figaro, these now routinely fetch more here than they did when new in Japan and all but the last few made are over 10 years old. Also cars over 10 years old are not subject to the SVA (however I dont know if the law changed on this last year?)

And while where on the subject of prices, currently its 230 Yen to the £1 so a car worth 500,000 yen is worth £2175.
Old 30 August 2007, 02:23 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

don't you mean km

I live near Southampton docks and the amount of cars that are imported from Japan is immense so there are going to be some unscrupulous dealings going on but if you do see a dodgy interior there always plenty more to look at.

i've been to Japan and have to agree with mykp on al his points

Last edited by myblackwrx; 30 August 2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 30 August 2007, 04:09 PM
mac12
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=myblackwrx;7218548]don't you mean km

no i mean miles i thought 40,000 to 60,000miles was unbelivable for a 14 year old car but theres 14 year old wrx's with 40 to 60,oookm's selling for £3000 sorry but i dont believe it for 1 minute.
surely a 14 yar old wrx classic with whats that converted to miles 25,000 to 40,000 on them would be worth alot more than £3000.

fact is theres only a handful available with genuine low miles and they are valued at least double what they are sellling the so called low mileage ones at.
Old 30 August 2007, 04:38 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

But isn't £3000 for a 14 year old car too much?
Old 30 August 2007, 04:41 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fraid so, my wrx is living proof that jap imports are great.

70,000 miles, blitz boost guage, front n rear strut braces and tein type ha coilovers with pillowball mounts all round, and she's a grade 4 import, not perfect but not far off it.

The asking price for a 94 mica black lol, £3350

Engine runs sweet as a nut and feels tight, whoever drove it treated her like a pussycat.
Old 30 August 2007, 04:45 PM
mac12
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
But isn't £3000 for a 14 year old car too much?
not for one with a clocked 40/60 kms it seems not
Old 30 August 2007, 04:48 PM
mac12
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hux309
Fraid so, my wrx is living proof that jap imports are great.

70,000 miles, blitz boost guage, front n rear strut braces and tein type ha coilovers with pillowball mounts all round, and she's a grade 4 import, not perfect but not far off it.

The asking price for a 94 mica black lol, £3350

Engine runs sweet as a nut and feels tight, whoever drove it treated her like a pussycat.
70,000 miles thats more like it sounds alot more realistic
40/60km though sorry not many of them about (unless you look on ebay of course)
Old 30 August 2007, 04:52 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Oh yes i paid more than that for my 93wrx and it's perfectly fine.
What i'm saying is that the rules in Japan for driving mean that cars get less use so that plenty of cars would get low mileage,if the interior is bad then it's a tell tale sign that someone is telling porkies.
Old 30 August 2007, 05:01 PM
mac12
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
Oh yes i paid more than that for my 93wrx and it's perfectly fine.
What i'm saying is that the rules in Japan for driving mean that cars get less use so that plenty of cars would get low mileage,if the interior is bad then it's a tell tale sign that someone is telling porkies.
im not saying yours isnt fine m8 and im not saying all imports are clocked but it just annoys me seeing people getting ripped off buying cars what they think was a bargain with great mileage but if truth be known its not.

you see the post's on here all the time scoobie newbie just got my first impreza import 94 wrx 42,000kms and all for £3000.
when in reality its got 5 times that mileage.
then a couple of months down the line there having problem after problem with there 42,000km car.
Old 30 August 2007, 05:11 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

im not saying yours isnt fine m8 and im not saying all imports are clocked but it just annoys me seeing people getting ripped off buying cars what they think was a bargain with great mileage but if truth be known its not.

you see the post's on here all the time scoobie newbie just got my first impreza import 94 wrx 42,000kms and all for £3000.
when in reality its got 5 times that mileage.
then a couple of months down the line there having problem after problem with there 42,000km car.

Completely agree with you wasn't arguing with you that you were wrong (sorry if it seemed that way ) it's a shame that you do get plenty of dodgy people (japanese and british).
Like i said i've been down to Southampton docks and seen some really rough examples which ,as you say, will be for sale at an 'bargain' price
Old 30 August 2007, 05:14 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

70,000 miles thats more like it sounds alot more realistic
40/60km though sorry not many of them about (unless you look on ebay of course)
Well if you look about you can get them with 50k miles, but i took one look at the colour and the coilovers that they didn't know the true cost of and flew up to brum in a matter of days.
Old 30 August 2007, 05:17 PM
mac12
Scooby Regular

wasnt arguing either m8 only because you have offered me some good advice in the past though....
Old 30 August 2007, 05:19 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

(hopefully it wasn't advice on buying a low mileage import )

Last edited by myblackwrx; 30 August 2007 at 05:21 PM.

Quick Reply: jap imports - looked after over there ??