Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any auto electricians i can speak to out there or ask some questions dead speedo !!!

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2007, 01:44 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any auto electricians i can speak to out there or ask some questions dead speedo !!!

got a wee toyota levin and the speedo hasnt worked since it came off the boat..it is an electronic type and i have fitted the converter but stll doesnt work...so its either the speedo head or speed sensor..how do i test these to find the problem area....any help would be great..this is a pain !! cheers in advance..
Old 29 August 2007, 05:51 PM
philr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rabskyline
got a wee toyota levin and the speedo hasnt worked since it came off the boat..it is an electronic type and i have fitted the converter but stll doesnt work...so its either the speedo head or speed sensor..how do i test these to find the problem area....any help would be great..this is a pain !! cheers in advance..
there is usually a sensor on the gearbox what goes to speedo if not it will be near the drive shafts or road wheels
Old 02 September 2007, 12:43 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

checked the speed sensor on the gearbox with a meter and its fine..so how do i test the speedo ???
Old 02 September 2007, 03:19 PM
philr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rabskyline
checked the speed sensor on the gearbox with a meter and its fine..so how do i test the speedo ???

check the fuses, and also the bulbs in back of speedo,and also the wirering from speed sensor to speedo,the speed sensor is usually the thing,some people break them to stop the mileage going up,take out speedo and have a good look at this,if no joy take to auto electricians which will be to tell you the speedo or the speed sensor is broke.
Old 02 September 2007, 06:22 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

cheers phil..just stripped it out and resoldered all of the joints....hey presto !! must have been a dry joint...i used to wokr as a solderer years ago so had the tools at home ! anyway, thanks...
Old 02 September 2007, 07:01 PM
philr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by philr
check the fuses, and also the bulbs in back of speedo,and also the wirering from speed sensor to speedo,the speed sensor is usually the thing,some people break them to stop the mileage going up,take out speedo and have a good look at this,if no joy take to auto electricians which will be to tell you the speedo or the speed sensor is broke.
good stuff mate,nice one,its nice when its like that,my alternator went on friday night on my car,had another one what was slightly different,stripped both of them to pieces,spent all day yesterday doing it,what a nightmare these subaru alternators are,stuck it back together and put back on car and hey presto it was still broke,the only thing different between these alternators was the regulator,thats the only thing i did not change,so it has to be down to that,typical,got some prices for a new alternator,360 quid,could not belive it,could not find anywhere that recond them,then today i found somewhere that recons them at last,so took it straight to boss and he said should be all sorted for tomorrow or tuesday at latest.wish i had done that from the start.i knew about the speedo problems with the audi i had before the scooby,i went to audi dealers,bought haynes manuals the lot and never got no joy from anywhere,traced the wirering from speedo and found the speed sensor on gearbox,went to audi told them the part i needed cost 16 pound got it sorted,was well happy,wish i had kept my audi,had not but bother with scooby,engine blew to bits,clutch and flywheel had gone,alarm kept giving me grief,got totaly ripped off with a recon engine,got car back with loads of damage and electrical problems from firm plus a old engine fitted,and now the alternator which they fitted.fed up mate,going to take them to court.
but honestly i have had alot to do with cars over the past and especially elictrical faults and they are nightmares, i would try and check the mileage if i were you though,because they try alsorts with these speedos to stop the mileage going on.
good luck anyway,try soldering underneaf the dash upside down on a car seat with legs in the air,its quite difficult.
Old 02 September 2007, 08:02 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

mileage is warranted so not too bothered....probably down to sitting on a boat for 6 weeks and lying in a warehouse before hand so 2-3 month doing nothing has probably caused this !

Trending Topics

Old 02 September 2007, 08:07 PM
philr
Scooby Regular

no problems mate,jst thought i would say as this is what people do now with the electric speedos or flash them if possible with a laptop,job done,wish mine was done.good luck.