Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need to pick the brains of the engine guys...

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2007, 01:09 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to pick the brains of the engine guys...

was just checking over the engine bay yesterday, and i popped off the top of the airbox to have a look at the air filter.

was curious to see where the source of the air comes from, so followed the hose that leads into the bottom of the air box, and it seems its been cut off and modifed at some point. fair enough but basically the hose doesnt feed anywhere, and thus wont really provide a direct cold air feed, which defies the point in have an air box.

what i want to know, is where can i get hold of some of that extendable metal hosing, so i can feed it in through the existing hose that goes into the bottom of the airbox. also where would be a safe place to feed the hose too, for a safe cool air supply, as there isnt a hole under the drivers front wheel arch or anywhere else.

i was personally thinking of having it on the little black slat (orange as standard, mines painted black), underneath the side light in the front bumper.

first thing that concerned me is the fact the airbox has no direct cool air feed, and when i find an air feed, i need to keep it cleanish so i dont ruin the sir filter/maf sensor with grime and crap off the roads.

if needs be il take piccies to show, but i hope the above is self explanatory.

andy

p.s. car... my99 uk turbo
Old 26 August 2007, 01:49 PM
sportwagonred
Scooby Regular

Any good motor factors will stock the extendable (consatina) metal air hose in a variety of diameters. If you know what size you want suggest you visit one. As stated comes in various sizes so you need the inside diameter of the pipe youre going to put it in. I would then suggest you feed it to the front of your car adjacent to the radiator if youve got room, not behind the rad tho or youll get warm air.
Old 26 August 2007, 02:08 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sportwagonred
Any good motor factors will stock the extendable (consatina) metal air hose in a variety of diameters. If you know what size you want suggest you visit one. As stated comes in various sizes so you need the inside diameter of the pipe youre going to put it in. I would then suggest you feed it to the front of your car adjacent to the radiator if youve got room, not behind the rad tho or youll get warm air.
aye, i take it its defo metal hosing i want then, for cooler air. the idea of putting it near the side light was mainly as its near the radiator, but not too close, and the air will get blown right into the hosing, nice and cool.
Old 26 August 2007, 05:36 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Inside the inner wing would be fine otherwise where the wedge is, is also a good idea. Just make sure you don't accidentally cause a restriction with your pipeing
Old 26 August 2007, 06:42 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5_245
Inside the inner wing would be fine otherwise where the wedge is, is also a good idea. Just make sure you don't accidentally cause a restriction with your pipeing
how do you mean? by the hosing getting in the way of something else?

my main concern is anything getting up the hosing and damaging my air filter. hence the idea of near the orange slat thing which would block most objects around 5mm in size...
Old 26 August 2007, 07:50 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I mean that the hose is of sufficient diameter, and runs smoothly without kinks.

Inner wing is perfect, nothing will get in there
Old 26 August 2007, 08:01 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5_245
I mean that the hose is of sufficient diameter, and runs smoothly without kinks.

Inner wing is perfect, nothing will get in there
i was on about stuff getting in from the front bumper slat where the other end will be positioned...

heres a little mspaint of what im gonna do...
  • yellow shows the airbox (duh) and the hosing that is currently there
  • blue shows what im gonna do with some metal hosing
  • green shows what i would have expected to find the yellow hosing doing anyways, but didnt

hope this helps.

Trending Topics

Old 26 August 2007, 08:35 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

The yellow is correct, it runs through into the inner wing, back into the engine bay then up to a piece that looks a bit like a hoover attachment above the headlight. Maybe removed in the past to fit an induction kit.

I'd say your plan would work quite nicely

Nice car.
Old 27 August 2007, 03:20 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

thanks

has anyone got a piccy of how it should look, to compare what im faced with. ie where the hose normally goes too on a my99 car
Old 27 August 2007, 08:26 AM
Lee_1075
Scooby Regular

Andy, Your ms paint piccy is correct. All you need to do is remove the front wheel, then take off the wheel arch lining remove the 3 screws (if i remember right) and the plastic clips, be carefull not too break the plastic clips when doing that!. The original resonator is also in that side of the wing, its a little snorkel system, the air is fed in through the bonnet into the resonator, upto the airbox. Just remove the stuff listed above and place a alu tube going from your orange wedge, though the inner wing and the into the side of your airbox, whithout restricting the airflow when bending the tube into the airbox.
Ive just done two piccys of how the original resonator looks like from my car. (its the same as yours).

Old 27 August 2007, 02:19 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

so whats my best option then. to do it as the blue one or cut a section from the inner wing plastic and do it like the green one?
Old 27 August 2007, 07:19 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Why did I think that removing the resonator wasnt a good idea?
Old 27 August 2007, 08:36 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by olliecampbell
Why did I think that removing the resonator wasnt a good idea?
eh??
Old 27 August 2007, 10:20 PM
Lee_1075
Scooby Regular

The Blue one mate, dont go cutting up anything, do as ive listed above.
Old 27 August 2007, 10:26 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
eh??
...something to do with sucking up more debris/water/hot air from the engine bay....just cant remember....too much beer!
Old 28 August 2007, 06:25 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee_1075
The Blue one mate, dont go cutting up anything, do as ive listed above.
yeah thought that too. only concern is if im only using aluminium ducting will

a. the pipe get to warm or is it too far from the engine
b. get clogged up with crap from the roads (if so, how does the original now missing resonator box filter the crap away before it hits the air filter)

argh
Old 28 August 2007, 08:11 AM
Lee_1075
Scooby Regular

The pipe is between the wing and engine bay, so its out of the way from the engine you wont get any heat problems.
Ive put two little holes in mine to let any water that may get in the pipe trickle out, havent had any problems to date. You could also look into getting the HT Foglight covers where the drivers side one has a hole for the tubing.

The resonator isnt there to filter any crap out, thats the job of the filter.
Old 28 August 2007, 11:03 AM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Im struggling to think of a reason why the resonators there then. Is it sort of like a U bend on a sink? To filter out the crap/stop water getting into the filter?
Old 28 August 2007, 11:16 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Its there to reduce induction noise....lots of cars have them.
Old 28 August 2007, 11:39 AM
Simon 69
Scooby Regular

On some cars inductiion noise is significantly greater than exhaust noise! To pass drive-by tests this has to be stifled...
Old 28 August 2007, 12:23 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

i was on about stuff getting in from the front bumper slat where the other end will be positioned...

heres a little mspaint of what im gonna do...
  • yellow shows the airbox (duh) and the hosing that is currently there
  • blue shows what im gonna do with some metal hosing
  • green shows what i would have expected to find the yellow hosing doing anyways, but didnt

hope this helps.
Beware floods & fords with it that low ...Alcester, with the recent flooding was littered with 'modified' cars at the side of the road
Old 28 August 2007, 02:42 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yup,its all about emissions/noises etc.

theres the resonator in the wing and the resonator,on my model, just before the turbo as well
Old 28 August 2007, 03:14 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Ahh that explains it all
Old 28 August 2007, 06:28 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DazW
Beware floods & fords with it that low ...Alcester, with the recent flooding was littered with 'modified' cars at the side of the road
point taken and noted. will be careful of floods etc then.
Old 28 August 2007, 07:52 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Not only does it act as a resonator but also a water trap to allow moisture to collect and drain from there instead of being sucked up into the engine.

Andy
Old 28 August 2007, 09:49 PM
movi-star
Scooby Regular

Ive recently removed the air box resonator from my classic, then I blanked off the large hole that would suck hot engine air in. I have'nt bothered with any induction piping to the front wedge as it would allow water to get into the system quite easily.

Since removing it, my Apexi Commander reads that injection duty and boost have hit higher readings than ever before, which I believe means its sucking in more air, pumping in more fuel to cope creating more boost.

Induction noise is also increased considerably, almost on par with a vta dump valve.
Old 28 August 2007, 11:03 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently removed the resonator and replaced it with a "snorkus remover" moulding I bought in the USA for $60, so it still uses the air intake above the front grill but now the air has a more direct route to the filter box.

Can't say I've noticed any difference to performance or to induction noise. It was probably a waste of $60 and and hour of my time, but I can't be ars*d to put the resonator back.
Old 29 August 2007, 06:29 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

this is the thing though gentlemen, it has no resonator or piping of any kind that leads to a cool air supply. the little bit of plastic hosing that comes out the bottom of the airbox leads nowhere, its basically taking in all the air from the inner wing which may be cool or hot. its not good for the engine i know that.

maybe what i could do when i buy some hosing is what lee_1075 did and puncture a couple of small holes on the underside to let water drip out if indeed it does get sucked in.
Old 29 August 2007, 12:07 PM
movi-star
Scooby Regular

this is the thing though gentlemen, it has no resonator or piping of any kind that leads to a cool air supply. the little bit of plastic hosing that comes out the bottom of the airbox leads nowhere, its basically taking in all the air from the inner wing which may be cool or hot. its not good for the engine i know that.

maybe what i could do when i buy some hosing is what lee_1075 did and puncture a couple of small holes on the underside to let water drip out if indeed it does get sucked in.
If your airbox has the resonator removed and is sucking in air from the wing, this will be cool air, cool air gets into the wing thru the wedgy thing.

If using hosing then puncturing a few small holes in the induction hosing wont stop water getting into the system! The suction from the engine will pull any water into the engine. If you use hosing its basically hoovering water up from the wedgy on say a rainy day or thru a big puddle.

I have'nt used any hosing, and the results are, according to the Apexi Commander, is that Boost and Injection Duty have both increased.
Old 29 August 2007, 04:21 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by movi-star
If your airbox has the resonator removed and is sucking in air from the wing, this will be cool air, cool air gets into the wing thru the wedgy thing.

If using hosing then puncturing a few small holes in the induction hosing wont stop water getting into the system! The suction from the engine will pull any water into the engine. If you use hosing its basically hoovering water up from the wedgy on say a rainy day or thru a big puddle.

I have'nt used any hosing, and the results are, according to the Apexi Commander, is that Boost and Injection Duty have both increased.
so maybe its worth making a smaller hosing section that doesnt go right to the wedge...

appreciated peoples opinions on this. asjked jase @ scoobybits and he said it was a good idea regards the hosing...

Quick Reply: need to pick the brains of the engine guys...