Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearance/ride height with Prodrive suspension....

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2007, 10:38 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearance/ride height with Prodrive suspension....

... and 18's on.

Im thinking about getting the wheels painted an anthracite colour or similar, but at the same time thought I might just buy some anthracite 18's instead.
If I do that, I would probably get the car dropped onto Prodrive or similar suspension to bring the height down a little.

Whats a good suspension set up so not to loose too much of the current ride height, yet 18 and ride well on 18's

Not sure of the size difference overall between 17's with tyres and the 18's with tyres, so not sure how much it would compensate for the ride height drop.

Hope some of this makes sense.

In short, I dont wanna drop it too much as as the moment I enjoy wonderful speedhump clearance.
Old 26 August 2007, 07:45 PM
ian10
Scooby Regular

mines on prodrive springs and 18's
no issues lowers car 25mm i think or you can get 2 fingers between the tyre and wheel arch.
Old 27 August 2007, 12:33 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Ian
Old 27 August 2007, 01:29 AM
Leebo77
Scooby Regular

As you know mate, I've got the 320 suspension with 18's. The suspension is well sorted and even with the front splitter I've yet to ground it.
Old 27 August 2007, 01:44 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
... and 18's on.

Im thinking about getting the wheels painted an anthracite colour or similar, but at the same time thought I might just buy some anthracite 18's instead.
If I do that, I would probably get the car dropped onto Prodrive or similar suspension to bring the height down a little.

Whats a good suspension set up so not to loose too much of the current ride height, yet 18 and ride well on 18's

Not sure of the size difference overall between 17's with tyres and the 18's with tyres, so not sure how much it would compensate for the ride height drop.

Hope some of this makes sense.

In short, I dont wanna drop it too much as as the moment I enjoy wonderful speedhump clearance.

Prodrive Springs are generally the favoured option unless you want to spend on coilovers... then the favoured seems to be the bilstein (fitted to the RB320), tein or AST setups.

I think you will find the rolling circumference of a 17" with Tyre will need to be the same as a 18" with Tyre, so essentially the overall wheel itself stays the same size.... essentially you have a bigger rim/alloy with a lower profile tyre.

I may be incorrect on this though as Subaru may be able to program the Speedo to adjust for the difference in a changed rolling circumference that a larger overall wheel/tyre combo may add.

On the clearance side of things, the suspension is likely to be slightly more taught... so general driving you should be fine. Just avoid getting close to high curbs etc... and take some of the more agressive speed humps with caution (and at an angle if poss) just to be safe.... as naturally you will be probably 30-50mm (dependant on what you get) closer to everything on the ground.

Last edited by marmski; 27 August 2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 28 August 2007, 11:35 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leebo77
As you know mate, I've got the 320 suspension with 18's. The suspension is well sorted and even with the front splitter I've yet to ground it.
And may I add, yet to see it in the flesh lol.
But thats good news for me

Got sea sick on the 25 coming up for the A20 the other night lol (ok not that bad) So its got to be done at some point.

marmski, cheers for that mate, rolling circ andspeedo accuracy does not bother me too much, but do worry about over all handling. Dont wanna lose that for the sake of vanity. But if I can get away with it, as I reckon is possible then its worth it
Old 28 August 2007, 05:49 PM
Leebo77
Scooby Regular

And may I add, yet to see it in the flesh lol.
But thats good news for me

Got sea sick on the 25 coming up for the A20 the other night lol (ok not that bad) So its got to be done at some point.

will have to sort something out soon.

Trending Topics

Old 28 August 2007, 06:53 PM
marmski
Scooby Regular

marmski, cheers for that mate, rolling circ andspeedo accuracy does not bother me too much, but do worry about over all handling. Dont wanna lose that for the sake of vanity. But if I can get away with it, as I reckon is possible then its worth it
No worries. It probably wont be an issue.... but i know Ford have to reprogram the Focus for its different size wheels and its literally just an ECU update for the adjustment on the ratio.

Old 28 August 2007, 07:52 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marmski
No worries. It probably wont be an issue.... but i know Ford have to reprogram the Focus for its different size wheels and its literally just an ECU update for the adjustment on the ratio.

Aaah im with you now, you mean it CAN actually make a difference and upset the car! Should be fine on OEM/PD stuff I hope lol